Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jiro 210 Gyuto showed up in the mail today.

Attachments

• 20200805_142543.jpg
    20200805_142543.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200805_142537.jpg
    20200805_142537.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 75
View attachment 89463

230mm Halcyon Forge Wrought Iron Clad, 1.2519 Core Workhorse Gyuto

View attachment 89464

255mm HVB Stainless Clad Vtoku (water quenched) Gyuto

A couple more new toys showed up. I’ve had an erection all day and it won’t go away. 😭😛

An erection that lasts longer than four hours is a medical emergency. The oxygen-deprived blood in your penis can damage tissue in the penis. Untreated priapism can result in damage or destruction of penile tissue and permanent erectile dysfunction

Which is why I invested in one which is tuned up. Ashy2classy had it thinned by Forty Ounce and described it as now being a cutting machine.

I love it when knives aren't good enough the way they are, need heavy tuning which makes those knives fantastic! So fantastic that they're being sold... :LOL:

Only part of my comment is serious... I understand that everyone has his preferences and sometimes preferences change, or you just want to try smth, or you simply want smth new, smth different... Just because someone doesn't like smth (anymore!?) that doesn't necessarily mean that that "smth" in question isn't good. I've made great deals here on BST, just sayin'!

In the current economic situation, there are people who need to make deals with their fantastic knives regardless of how much they like them or how much work they have put in to tune them up.

I've read about the Denka for quite a while and wanted one but didn't want a project knife. This knife sounded like everything I could wish for in a Denka at a price I could afford. So it didn't take me long to decide upon it. I'm happy to get the knife. Seller is happy to get money for whatever he needs it for. Great deal completed.

Last edited:
In the current economic situation, there are people who need to make deals with their fantastic knives regardless of how much they like them or how much work they have put in to tune them up.
True that!

And it is great to have a reliable person behind that deal, someone with integrity!

Furthermore, I'va always had a thing for those red-handled Denkas. I read that those were only available in Japan? Can anyone chime in if that is true?

So if I were to get a Denka, I would need to take it to a tuning shop to sort things out, and then It will be good to go

Which tuning shops in Switzerland- now that becomes the question - who are they, how do I find them, how much does it add in cost to a knife that sells brand new for about $800 give or take

So if I were to get a Denka, I would need to take it to a tuning shop to sort things out, and then It will be good to go

Which tuning shops in Switzerland- now that becomes the question - who are they, how do I find them, how much does it add in cost to a knife that sells brand new for about $800 give or take
I’d still try it first before tuning it. I mean, maybe you are a lucky lottery winner!

There is a shop in Switzerland which carries TF:Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka - Japanische-Kochmesser.ch - Ihr Profi für scharfe Messer

Sound advice - I k ow that shop, did not know they carried TF

I want to try TF but worry I may be falling victim to “forum hype” like mazaki

But I am curious about that knife- why a polarizing view - has to be something there
This post is quite convincing. The OP found TF Denka as his perfect knife and sold those other unicorns cheaply. One of the factors which influenced me to research more on the Denka.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/wts-kato-workhorse-shig-ikeda-suminagashi.47861/

Joe calton (Wyoming) 8" chef knife in 1095 with lacewood handle from his stock knives. My main knife now. Awesome steel with edge retention and toughness and great thin grind (thought it is a flat grind, which I'm actually fine with). Just the bevel needed to be made steeper. Edge taking is pretty great. Surprisingly stiff of a knife. Steel feels quite wear resistant while sharpening. The slight blip or ridge near the heel is like a mini-bolster, which is great for knives as thin as this. I like it better than japanese knives I've tried, even with the curved profile. The tip is still very narrow for fine work. The knife doesn't really rust like Japanese carbon steel . . . it just forms a grey patina. Not as colorful as Japanese patina either. The maker has quite a youtube channel of his work process, which is cool.

Height: 50 mm
Weight: 164 g
Spine: 2.1 mm
Construction: monosteel edge quench, multiple quench
Handle: unstabilized lacewood

knife1.jpg
knife2.jpg

I've been dying to post pics of my new custom Chefs knife by @Will Newham. Working with Will was a great experience all around.

Here are the details and the some of the photos he sent. Can't wait for it to arrive!
From Will:
I have kept the hardness at 63-64hrc with Ln2 cycle, blade is 230x50mm with a strong distal taper from 3.65mm to tip. I have kept some thickness to the spine to ensure strength and stability for slicing. The blade is fine edged and tapers to a thin and pointy tip as requested. The materials are copper bolster, pins with g10 spacer and black juma tapered saya pin with ringed gidgee saya and stabilised amboyna burl handle.​

Video:

Doesn't seem to be embedded, so link here: Custom Newham Chefs Knife
And the pics:

VERY beautiful handle!!!

Back