Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This arrived....no surprises given my love for this maker. It is a joy to use - precise, nimble, and super sharp. Stainless clad blue
C85B83C7-3F02-4220-8DB7-376F94A524D5.jpeg
A3753D0A-FBC0-4290-8290-54A690E5B545.jpeg

270 mm, 60 mm at the heel, 242 gm

C85B83C7-3F02-4220-8DB7-376F94A524D5.jpeg

I just fell off my chair! This the dream team! I am waiting for the next year and a half to get my grubby little hands on a Togashi-Tosa blue Honyaki!
How does that compare to these - these are dream knives - congrats on an amazing collection!

I just fell off my chair! This the dream team! I am waiting for the next year and a half to get my grubby little hands on a Togashi-Tosa blue Honyaki!
How does that compare to these - these are dream knives - congrats on an amazing collection!
Difficult for me to say as my Togashi X tosa is single bevel and by a different supplier, so not comparing apples to apples. But all have really nice F&F and grind, the gyutos are quite thin unlike so many Honyaki I’ve seen before such as my watanabe and sukenari. I plan to keep the white 1 Honyaki as a showpiece but will use the 2’s once I can get some more pictures.

Difficult for me to say as my Togashi X tosa is single bevel and by a different supplier, so not comparing apples to apples. But all have really nice F&F and grind, the gyutos are quite thin unlike so many Honyaki I’ve seen before such as my watanabe and sukenari. I plan to keep the white 1 Honyaki as a showpiece but will use the 2’s once I can get some more pictures.

I asked Shinichi to make me a 210 mm Pro Nakiri and then a petty - he was so responsive and I got both knives within 2 weeks. Then I asked him to make me a Honyaki and he went silent on me. I asked 2 times again, and still no response

how did you get Watanabe to make you a Honyaki?

I failed miserably

These are a lot lighter and thinner going by what I have seen. My Togashi-Tosa (Sakai Takayuki) is a beast.

I asked Shinichi to make me a 210 mm Pro Nakiri and then a petty - he was so responsive and I got both knives within 2 weeks. Then I asked him to make me a Honyaki and he went silent on me. I asked 2 times again, and still no response

how did you get Watanabe to make you a Honyaki?

I failed miserably

My watanabe Honyaki are from 2015 and my understanding is he doesn’t “make” them anymore. I sold a gyuto and suji in 2018 but still have a 150mm petty and lefty 330mm kensaki yanagi, probably going sell one of them since I have a few more projects on the horizon.

Reactions: Rom
Patience was maintained until home and clean. 12 hours with a box of new knives without opening it. I think I might celebrate such efforts by ordering a couple other knives...

324E5AF3-5A36-43FE-B90E-E267EB69630F.jpeg

Both knives are the same length, meaning that the Ittetsu there has an oversized, 240mm Gyuto box.

The Matsubara has a dedicated box for its length. Same box than my Gyuto from them (them being mainly Katsuto Tanaka), except fitted for smaller size and no top sticker; this knife here however is not a Gyuto, nor has it the same finish, steel, even handle wood, than my Nashiji Ginsan Gyuto.

34B55FFE-5647-4EDF-8EAC-C3734115F838.jpeg

Moar when I’ll publish my reviews.

Hope to see your pictures of your new knives on this thread rather than just having a knife packaging teaser for a review thread posted elsewhere.

Point made. I however, and while THAT could potentially piss people off, always post my reviews here since it’s the only reason I’ll try and take good pictures of a bit of everything on the knife, especially aesthetics OOTB which I tend to either transform or mess up thinning later on. Hope you’ll bear with me. Sorry otherwise.

I didn't weigh them myself but from the sales data.
Birgersson is 165g. It's the #8 on his site.
Jiro #12 is 238.45g

You might recall that Dalman had some warikome knives on his site. They were a collaboration with Birgersson with Birgersson forging and heat treating while Dalman grinding and making the handles. I think this knife is just Birgersson doing everything.

https://dalmanknives.bigcartel.com/product/warikomi-silversteel-210-gyuto

Last edited:
I don't know if it counts as "newest knife buy" when you buy a course to make it your self... Anyhow..

I'm very pleased with the end result! Was a two day course here in Switzerland close to Basel. The teacher is a guy is called Daniel Gentile (FERRUM D Gentile - Schmiedekurse, Messer, Schwerter / Forging Classes, Knives, Swords). It was a fantastic experience to create a blade like this from scratch! (did everything except the final grind) And i can highly recommend anyone who has a local blade smith to try something like this :)

Materials are : San-Mai Pattern Weld: 64 layers of O2 & 15N20 in a rain-drop pattern with a W2 Core at 62HRC. Wood is burnt ash, brass ring and walnut end piece.

Now i just gotta see how it will handle some copping of produce tonight :)

IMG_20200810_070610.jpg
IMG_20200810_070359.jpg
IMG_20200810_070428.jpg
IMG_20200810_070304.jpg
IMG_20200810_072741.jpg
IMG_20200810_072713.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_073225.jpg
    IMG_20200810_073225.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200810_073233.jpg
    IMG_20200810_073233.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I don't know if it counts as "newest knife buy" when you buy a course to make it your self... Anyhow..

I'm very pleased with the end result! Was a two day course here in Switzerland close to Basel. The teacher is a guy is called Daniel Gentile (FERRUM D Gentile - Schmiedekurse, Messer, Schwerter / Forging Classes, Knives, Swords). It was a fantastic experience to create a blade like this from scratch! (did everything except the final grind) And i can highly recommend anyone who has a local blade smith to try something like this :)

Now i just gotta see how it will handle some copping of produce tonight :)

View attachment 89909View attachment 89907View attachment 89908View attachment 89906View attachment 89911View attachment 89910
Looking fantastic 😊, enjoy

Back