Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge Heiji Fan! I donā€™t think I have seen a Heiji Sujhiki - looks amazing. I have a semi stainless Gyuto 245mm coming in next week. Post more pics when you get it

Heiji has been non-responsive to me when i use their website. I need their email I think - embedded here somewhere in this forum. Did you find them responsive?

I will definitely take more pictures once itā€™s here.

I had no issues communicating with Heiji, got response the next day whenever I wrote a mail. Initial contact was via the homepage as well.

I will definitely take more pictures once itā€™s here.

I had no issues communicating with Heiji, got response the next day whenever I wrote a mail. Initial contact was via the homepage as well.

Thatā€™s good to know A I think it also depends upon how busy they are. They do make an amazing knife and the steel and HT is something else

Bill Burke
20200814_170813.jpg

Just so I understand the western landscape of blade-smiths

If toyamanabe Raquin, who would be:

Shig/Kato/TF - sort of high end artisans - which western makers Kind of are the unicorn equivalents

Where would you place Australian, British, Swedish producers - I see their names every so often but know nothing about them - e.g. catcheside, dalman, there is an Austrian producer, forget his name as I am less familiar with western makers

Just so I understand the western landscape of blade-smiths

If toyamanabe Raquin, who would be:

Shig/Kato/TF - sort of high end artisans - which western makers Kind of are the unicorn equivalents

Where would you place Australian, British, Swedish producers - I see their names every so often but know nothing about them - e.g. catcheside, dalman, there is an Austrian producer, forget his name as I am less familiar with western makers

Wat/Toyama are not Raquin. I tried to think of a way to play the western/Japanese knife maker matching game in a way thatā€™s more accurate, but didnā€™t really come up with much.

Raquin makes sort of rustic looking wide bevel knives that people say cut really well, and which have really nice grippy, comfortable handles. Marko Tsourkan makes knives with fancy fit and finish in either work horse grinds or slight S grinds. Shehan Prull makes very Japanese/traditionally inspired (he apprenticed with Ashi) knives with great middle of the road all purpose grinds and very good heat treatment. Kippington makes knives in a variety of styles that are amazing cutters ā€” he really knows his grinds and shares a lot of that knowledge on KKF. I really like the 1095 steel on the one I have too. Will Catcheside makes great cutters and is particularly well known for his ā€œforged geometryā€ series, in which only the (rather small) wide bevel is ground, and the rest of the geometry is done with the hammer. (Raquinā€™s knives are like this too.) These knives are rustic looking and often have a bit of a torpedo shape. (Long flat spot, high tip.) Murray Carter makes rather expensive knives, often with dramatic lamination lines. Iā€™ve only ever held one of them, but I hear a lot of them are very thin and cut well.

Iā€™ll let others comment on Yanick Puig, Benjamin Kamon, Robin Dalman, Andrei Markin, and Jonas Johnsson (Isasmedjan), for instance, since Iā€™ve never seen their knives in person.

Last edited:
Wat/Toyama are not Raquin. I tried to think of a way to play the western/Japanese knife maker matching game in a way thatā€™s more accurate, but didnā€™t really come up with much.

Raquin makes sort of rustic looking wide bevel knives that people say cut really well, and which have really nice grippy, comfortable handles. Marko Tsourkan makes knives with fancy fit and finish in either work horse grinds or slight S grinds. Shehan Prull makes very Japanese/traditionally inspired (he apprenticed with Ashi) knives with great middle of the road all purpose grinds and very good heat treatment. Kippington makes knives in a variety of styles that are amazing cutters ā€” he really knows his grinds and shares a lot of that knowledge on KKF. I really like the 1095 steel on the one I have too. Will Catcheside makes great cutters and is particularly well known for his ā€œforged geometryā€ series, in which only the (rather small) wide bevel is ground, and the rest of the geometry is done with the hammer. (Raquinā€™s knives are like this too.) These knives are rustic looking and often have a bit of a torpedo shape. (Long flat spot, high tip.) Murray Carter makes rather expensive knives, often with dramatic lamination lines. Iā€™ve only ever held one of them, but I hear a lot of them are very thin and cut well.

Iā€™ll let others comment on Kamon and Dalman, for instance, since Iā€™ve never seen their knives in person.

This is unbelievably helpful - there was another western maker, Scandinavian sounding Puig or something like that. I am wondering whether I should venture forth and try am western maker, but many of them are so expensive and I donā€™t want to be disappointed. I did hear the Swedes make knives too. The Shi-Han looks almost like some Japanese knives from afar

I am a Toyama/Heiji/y Tanaka, Togashi fan - superb knives for the price. Just donā€™t know where to start with western makers.

This is unbelievably helpful - there was another western maker, Scandinavian sounding Puig or something like that. I am wondering whether I should venture forth and try am western maker, but many of them are so expensive and I donā€™t want to be disappointed. I did hear the Swedes make knives too. The Shi-Han looks almost like some Japanese knives from afar

I am a Toyama/Heiji/y Tanaka, Togashi fan - superb knives for the price. Just donā€™t know where to start with western makers.
I believe the maker you're thinking of is Yanick Puig and his knives are very popular on this forum.

Here is a list of western makers I think are well praised for their knives and overall well-liked on this forum.
yanickcouteaux
halcyonforge
isasmedjan
Comet knives (currently has stopped making knives but occasionally you can buy some of his work of BTS)
hazenbergknives
tansu knives
kamon knives
bryanraquin
maumasifirearts
oatleyknives
donnguyenknives

Back