Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this arrived in just 3 days. While few of my other knives has been a month in delivery.

Mazaki B#1

View attachment 94573View attachment 94574View attachment 94575
Nice man! I was able to snag a blue 2 maz from K&S when he first did them. IMO at least it’s a whole different level with his white knives. Especially with fit and finish. Mine is a nice workhorse. I love everything about it. Perfect for me. Hope you enjoy it man. That blue 1 looks sweet.

Whole different level with his White #2 knives in general, or with his White #2 migaki finish knives specifically?

I’ve tried a few different mazaki. He definitely goes further with the blue than white at least with the one I have. The spine and choil are so smooth it’s ridiculous, the kanji is beautiful, etc. Although one of the gyutos I also kept wad a kuro white 240 from yoshihiro about a year ago. Very similar to the ones carbon has now. Grind is extremely thin behind the edge. The taper is insane. Fit and finish on that is nice also. Think the only thing I would say about the blue gyuto is that the finish on the bevel is kind of meh. Besides that, I think there is definitely more work and effort put into the blue gyutos. As real comparison like that though would be tricky because there are a lot of different retailers out there and although mazaki has gotten some kind of consistency down, his knives tend to vary depending on the retailer.

Yoshimi Kato Silver Steel No.3
165mm with Red Honduras Rosewood

Attachments

• 0CC99EF5-70A4-4C52-8165-4859AF4ECAF2.jpeg
    0CC99EF5-70A4-4C52-8165-4859AF4ECAF2.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 29
12A485E8-38B1-414D-902C-C2ADA556AA9F.jpeg
7160051E-CA88-4EF8-95D9-3F3157CD3570.jpeg
7AAC8FA4-C84E-498D-99CE-3BDCB95CA86B.jpeg

Maybe not too exciting for most people, but I like having a variety of different types and sizes of knives. Been wanting a small knife for lemon, garlic, herbs, etc. Something I can use on a crowded cutting board when the pasta is almost done and suddenly realize I've forgotten to chop the basil. Feels like just the right size, with good board clearance for my thin fingers, and that famous Herder thin grind.

I have another Herder (the K1) with an ice birch handle that I wasn't impressed with. This one is tighter and better finished, and the plum wood feels denser. We'll see if it holds up better, but I'm doubtful based on other reviews. Either way, I learned my lesson the first time and am already planning to rehandle if it finds a long term place on my rack.

the lemon symbolizes prosperity 🍋

jk, just for scale, otherwise it looks like a santoku held by a giant

I’ve tried a few different mazaki. He definitely goes further with the blue than white at least with the one I have. The spine and choil are so smooth it’s ridiculous, the kanji is beautiful, etc. Although one of the gyutos I also kept wad a kuro white 240 from yoshihiro about a year ago. Very similar to the ones carbon has now. Grind is extremely thin behind the edge. The taper is insane. Fit and finish on that is nice also. Think the only thing I would say about the blue gyuto is that the finish on the bevel is kind of meh. Besides that, I think there is definitely more work and effort put into the blue gyutos. As real comparison like that though would be tricky because there are a lot of different retailers out there and although mazaki has gotten some kind of consistency down, his knives tend to vary depending on the retailer.
I agree and share the same opinion as you. The finish on the bevel is okay. But other than that finish is much better than the white steel. Seems like he does spend more time on the Blue steel. Mazaki does seem to improve year by year.

Know if his blue comes in 270 anywhere?
I agree and share the same opinion as you. The finish on the bevel is okay. But other than that finish is much better than the white steel. Seems like he does spend more time on the Blue steel. Mazaki does seem to improve year by year.

I got the blue #2 in yesterday and i was so impressed by just the unboxing and initial inspection of the knife that i sprung for the blue#1, without even using it.
Well that is just pure fascination that leads to escalation 😄.The handle is really nice too, well made. Also the hardwood saya, inside is lined with cloth. Very snug fit. Good purchase.

I got the blue #2 in yesterday and i was so impressed by just the unboxing and initial inspection of the knife that i sprung for the blue#1, without even using it.
They are nice man. The blue 2 really surprised me. The grinds look a little better than last time also from the pics. Esp the blue 1. My blue 2 from the first run is thick. Nice grind and makes me happy but definitely not for someone who is into mid weights and lasers.

Masashi SLD 270. This knife is huge (276*59.5). For how big it is, it’s 245 gram which feels nimble in hand. Super aggressive distal taper. Thin front and crazy thin tip.

Tested it with a potato and carrot and I like how it cuts. I like the profile a little better than Yoshikane SKD as it has a little up curve near the heel which makes it less dead flat. But I didn’t realize how big it is until I have it in hand. I will try it a couple of more times but maybe someone with a larger cutting board can get a better use of it.
740BC3C4-1C3D-454D-A2F1-79546D02C7D0.jpeg

E7FA9FBC-ADDB-4D60-95A9-FCA51446FB60.jpeg

CBCB4060-1AE6-4D66-8F8C-CCCF9B072961.jpeg

04A0AE43-1440-49AC-8662-D56198812495.jpeg

Last edited:
It arrived about two weeks ago, but since I'm a new arrival and this is my newest knife, I hope it's ok.

Smedja Aspen 178*54 gyuto with reclaimed roller bearing steel and reclaimed oak from windows/doorstep. First picture is the finish after I did some polishing, followed by a tasty blueish patina. Killer knife.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1713.jpeg
    IMG_1713.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1714.jpeg
    IMG_1714.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 86
Konosuke YS 240 Gyuto with Mexican ebony handle
Takeda 220 gyuto with spalted maple handle and Saya with ebony

Finally received my new knives yesterday, purchased the Takeda from Knifewear and the Kono from Bernal, got both shipped to Eastasiaknifeimports for some handles and a matching Saya for the Takeda.

I am very much in love with Yoshikane knives so hence my purchase of the YS, and I enjoy a 1303 now and then so decided to leap into a Takeda To replace it, which has been on my list for a while now.

christened the Kono with some local steak for the family and I am going to be making the obligatory stir fry to see how the Takeda drives soon.

Attachments

• 63498539-AC07-477B-9709-A3EBCA2182E1.jpeg
    63498539-AC07-477B-9709-A3EBCA2182E1.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 71
  • 90211BFA-47BB-40F1-A8AE-90515913B096.jpeg
    90211BFA-47BB-40F1-A8AE-90515913B096.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 67
  • CD5741C7-344A-4940-AA1A-D42B07AC8360.jpeg
    CD5741C7-344A-4940-AA1A-D42B07AC8360.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 63
  • AE145598-32A1-488F-8348-F8F9B0F30737.jpeg
    AE145598-32A1-488F-8348-F8F9B0F30737.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 58
Konosuke YS 240 Gyuto with Mexican ebony handle
Takeda 220 gyuto with spalted maple handle and Saya with ebony

Finally received my new knives yesterday, purchased the Takeda from Knifewear and the Kono from Bernal, got both shipped to Eastasiaknifeimports for some handles and a matching Saya for the Takeda.

I am very much in love with Yoshikane knives so hence my purchase of the YS, and I enjoy a 1303 now and then so decided to leap into a Takeda To replace it, which has been on my list for a while now.

christened the Kono with some local steak for the family and I am going to be making the obligatory stir fry to see how the Takeda drives soon.
Nice!! Any difference of cutting performance between the YS and Yoshikane? the effortlessness and the less wedging wise?

Nice!! Any difference of cutting performance between the YS and Yoshikane? the effortlessness and the less wedging wise?
No discernible difference as of yet, the profile and grind are practically twins. The YS may be slightly ticker at the spine than my Amekiri, let’s see how the retention and ease of sharpening is with the YS though, I loved the Yoshikane Amekiri but it didn’t hold its edge long enough for me in the Restaurant. no fault of the knife just the nature of being white #2.

Back