Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on the 210 vs the 180? I went with the 180 thinking the 210 would be too big but now I think I might have been okay either way.
The 210 is quite nimble for its size and I really enjoy it. It’s as much fun to use as the 180 Nakiri

See YouTube video on it:

I loved the 180 equally, but The 210 are very hard to come by, almost always sold out, and typically stock of 1 at a time. But at JNS, you can get lucky. So I grabbed it, and then did not need the 180

But when it comes to Nakiri, I think my 210 Watanabe may just be king. In limited head-on competition, it seems to edge out just about everyone else. But for certain things, maybe Toyama is better, not sure - too early to tell

But let me know what you think of these knives after some use - Toyama are up there with Shigs, Y Tanaka, Heiji as best contemporary makers of knives

C22EFE15-B679-4783-BFB3-781CF93189A2.jpeg

American Jiro
“Jerry No. 5”

A couple of new horses in the stable:

First, a 270mm Kemadi bulat gyuto. This thing is an absolute monster, with a thick meaty grind and an incredible edge from Kasumi Kev that lasts and lasts. 274gm, but the handle is super light (balance point is a good 6cm from the handle), so I could see this breaking 300gm with a more typical handle setup. (I like a really aggressive pinch grip on big knives, so this suits me fine.) Profile is long and low, with a long flat spot that's perfect for how I use a big knife. The bulat steel has tons of really interesting banding which is tragically hard to photograph.

PXL_20200927_212348145.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20200926_200357095.PORTRAIT-01.COVER~2.jpg
PXL_20200926_200402569.PORTRAIT.jpg

And second, a denty S-grind 265mm gyuto from Kamon in mono 1.2519. 255gm of pure energy--this knife is a ton of fun even though it's on the light side for my preference. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Kamon's signature "denty" finish, but it looks and feels amazing in hand. (Hard to get a good choil shot on this one, but the ground channels on the sides are quite deep and clearly visible from the rear.)

PXL_20200926_200516036.PORTRAIT-01.COVER~2.jpg
PXL_20200926_200521871.PORTRAIT.jpg

These are like Damascus for me - I wouldn't ever use/want them, but I'm still super-impressed by them...
You should try a Y Tanaka blue Damascus or a Toyama blue Damascus - if you have not already. Would love to hear your perspectives after that

I was kind of in the same boat as you, but these two knives changed my mind re Dammies

Here we go. Smedja Aspen 224*58 honuaki gyuto. 26c3 steel, spalted curly birch handle.

3D438A40-0F87-4772-AA2F-8B590F2285FE.jpeg
6BF6CEEC-488E-4922-84A1-43E448339830.jpeg

I did not intend for it to be this way. The plan was to buy one knife from Smedja Aspen, but I totally loved that knife. So, a few knife sells and paid sharpening sessions later, I could afford this knife. Granted that I’ve not tried s-grinds from other makers, but I can’t understand how these knives cut so well. I can really recommend you to check out the maker. I’m super happy with my knives from him.

@RockyBasel - it is rather easy. Put a lot of light on a bright background that ideally has little structure (which otherwise distracts the phone’s AF). Keep the choil dark-ish, so you get a very high contrast that makes it easier for the phone to focus on. Keep the phone parallel with the heel - then you don’t have to get the focus directly on the tip of the heel to get it in focus. And it gets all easier if you put the knife on a cutting board (I did not this time, so lot of my attention went to not dropping the knife)

TBH, I just don't like the bling. I'm impressed by the process, but I like the plain stuff. Well, relatively plain, I guess...
Me too, these dammies are very subtle, not the bling i know you are referring to - I stay away from those myself

Back