Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the bevel? I've been thinking of picking one up for polishing practice
I’m not on that level to comfortably recognize that stuff yet. I can tell you it’s sticky as ****. The KU looks like a six year old was trying to use an entire black crayon. A RoseArt crayon. Not a nice Crayola. One rinse and wipe tonight, and it’s coming off near the spine.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Agreed! Removing them is like driving a brand new car off the lot.
To me it feels more like not taking the screen protector of a brand new phone & using it until it wears out. Then one day when it's loose & disgusting & you finally give in to peel it off, it's like "Woah my phone is pretty nice!"

The one I have has a Jnat polish and its perfect. Bevel is even with no low spots. I find the Ku finish actually quite attractive in a rustic kinda way. Great cutter for very little $$
Yours is a TF direct and not a Morihei, right? Does it have a first, even bevel that can be laid on stones for polishing (or is it convex/ cave?)

Yours is a TF direct and not a Morihei, right? Does it have a first, even bevel that can be laid on stones for polishing (or is it convex/ cave?)
Yes TF direct but its got faint Morihei Hisamoto stamps on the left side, so iron clad W#1. Blade road is pretty flat, maybe a subtle convexity.

I was like “what the **** is THAT? I don’t have THAT.”

maybe I DO, but I just need to draw it out.
View attachment 97308
I tried laying mine flat, and got that. Bear in mind high probability of user error.
Thanks for this picture. With this angle I could tell that the blade road isn't perfectly flat (not many knives get that)

I was like “what the **** is THAT? I don’t have THAT.”

maybe I DO, but I just need to draw it out.
View attachment 97308
I tried laying mine flat, and got that. Bear in mind high probability of user error.
Or it might be a crooked edge. Have you looked at the very edge? Whatever is going on, the blade road doesn’t touch the stone evenly (which can be seen from the scratch pattern). However that is not a problem (so long as you like the knife and it performs well!). It could even be a benefit. In the pic above it seems the front part might be slightly convex where the rest isn’t.

Last edited:
Yet you praise TF. Direct ordering no issue. Show an example of such good quality. Then bam! It's not a regular order TF. Bait and switch 👏
Ehhh I don't know if you and @Corradobrit1 are friends and that was meant to be an inside joke or not, but if not, that's a loaded sentence. A long time ago, I talked to him about his nakiri - before he even ordered it from TF (and before the Morihei ones came out) so I knew where he was coming from.

Ehhh I don't know if you and @Corradobrit1 are friends and that was meant to be an inside joke or not, but if not, that's a loaded sentence. A long time ago, I talked to him about his nakiri - before he even ordered it from TF (and before the Morihei ones came out) so I knew where he was coming from.
Not friends.
He's just been talking about TF like they never produce anything that needs work. Guess I should just leave it alone.

Not friends.
He's just been talking about TF like they never produce anything that needs work. Guess I should just leave it alone.

In our conversations @Corradobrit1 always told me to ask Gaku for pictures pictures pictures, and taught me a lot about how to check for low spots, bad grind, etc. We had a conversation about a bad Morihei as well. I honestly don't think he ever told me that TF never produce lemons. I just think the snark was uncalled for, but I know you didn't mean anything malicious. I'm sorry if something rubbed you the wrong way - I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend, Mike.

Back