Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kisuke blue1

IMG_20201030_120639~2.jpg

Mine is incredible - fantastic polishing, fit and finish. It’s laser sharp and a joy to use - not just good to look at

I don’t think I will notice much of a difference in blue 1 or 2.
Now I want that Damascus he posted on IG😂

Mine is incredible - fantastic polishing, fit and finish. It’s laser sharp and a joy to use - not just good to look at

I don’t think I will notice much of a difference in blue 1 or 2.
Now I want that Damascus he posted on IG😂
Yeah. What was that? I had a bit of difficulty with the translation. Is it Blue 1 AND 2? Did I read that right?

Manaka is available in Blue 1 and in Blue 2 depending on which retailer you buy it from. And Manaka is coming out with a Damascus clad Blue 1. No one is sure exactly when that one will be available on the market. Perhaps maybe a year.

Received Tuesday as expected:
IMG_6854.jpg

Two practice knives and that rag, which I threw in the trash before writing to the vendor asking where was my third knife... :p

Just being stupid and not funny...

A little gift also, nice from Ai & Om - that one was NOT expected.

IMG_6853.jpg

Weird comment surely but I like his writing - there's something old fashioned about it. I exchanged mails with M. Chang extensively before this purchase, and as all Canadian vendors so far he's really responsive and a quite nice fellow. He told me he was getting the Nanohone system in next year, after trying it extensively for a few months now. We also had a bit of fun about him replying to me, and me back to him, well after midnight. He admitted he was trying to set boundaries, but couldn't help himself having a hard time going to sleep. So am I, sir, so am I... there's too much fun to be had, and too little time to waste it in full nights of sleep.

Reviews coming soon...

Not my usual purchase. Smaller and stainless clad-er than I usually like. 210X53 187g. The workmanship on this knife is very evident. I’m shocked that these hinoura gyutos don’t get talked about as much. It’s ready to get to work.

Attachments

• 35DAB891-28B7-45AA-8CF5-70A9FB9C3E8B.jpeg
    35DAB891-28B7-45AA-8CF5-70A9FB9C3E8B.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
  • E5CB08AD-8797-497C-9916-4F16AC1615F9.jpeg
    E5CB08AD-8797-497C-9916-4F16AC1615F9.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 40
  • B4744606-9C49-4047-9B56-EE61F2A49523.jpeg
    B4744606-9C49-4047-9B56-EE61F2A49523.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
Matsumi Hinoura is very under appreciated here IMHO. I don’t know why...
Not my usual purchase. Smaller and stainless clad-er than I usually like. 210X53 187g. The workmanship on this knife is very evident. I’m shocked that these hinoura gyutos don’t get talked about as much. It’s ready to get to work.

I know what you mean re Hinoura. A lot of focus on his Dad and the unicorns

Each time I think I am getting close to trying out one of the Mitsumi knives, a Manaka comes along, a Maz blue 1 Sanmai, a Dalman, Yannick, etc. he always seems to be pushed aside by another knife maker
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

I know what you mean re Hinoura. A lot of focus on his Dad and the unicorns

Each time I think I am getting close to trying out one of the Mitsumi knives, a Manaka comes along, a Maz blue 1 Sanmai, a Dalman, Yannick, etc. he always seems to be pushed aside by another knife maker
Yeah agreed. I was a shop the other day and I was looking at one and was like”this ticks all the boxes why don’t I have one?”

8C5F09FB-ACF3-4834-A01B-668C7DEF2025.jpeg

Victorinox Swiss Modern 8" chef's knife that I cut down to a 7" santoku. I really like the handle, but hate the grantons on their standard santoku. You can see the two places I slipped with the dremel, adds to the wabi-sabi

View attachment 101062
Victorinox Swiss Modern 8" chef's knife that I cut down to a 7" santoku. I really like the handle, but hate the grantons on their standard santoku. You can see the two places I slipped with the dremel, adds to the wabi-sabi

You are the first person I've seen buy the walnut handle! How is it? From the pictures it looks like two halves glued together (which makes sense from a manufacturing perspective).

I love Mutsumi Hinoura knives.. but they are, imo, more geared towards people that are decent at thinning and polishing.

You are the first person I've seen buy the walnut handle! How is it? From the pictures it looks like two halves glued together (which makes sense from a manufacturing perspective).
FA185187-2EE2-4232-8AE0-8C1BD13AF8B8.jpeg

It is split, but not very noticeable. Both sides match and I'm pretty sure it's the same piece of wood. Not super dense, and there are a few small surface checks you can feel with your fingernail. The top corners needed sandpapering, not by much but you can see it in the photo. Otherwise it feels nice and smooth, and I love the taper narrowing towards the blade.

It's a little lighter than I expected, and the stock chef's knife was almost too forward balanced - at the shield logo, slightly past my pinch grip. My santoku balances at the second O and feels just right. I was planning to cut the handle down because it looks too long with the 7" blade, but now I don't want to change the balance.

Back