Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoshikane off the bst and a ZKramer that Zwilling was kind enough to send me with the worst ground tip Ive ever seen such that I may practice my tip fixing skills! (luckily it wasnt too hard as I just got a new diamond plate in today)

IMG_5975 (2).jpg

yoshikane off the bst and a ZKramer that Zwilling was kind enough to send me with the worst ground tip Ive ever seen such that I may practice my tip fixing skills! (luckily it wasnt too hard as I just got a new diamond plate in today)

View attachment 103405
That yoshi is absolutely awesome. I really need to pick up a 240. Great budget knives.

What? That looks totally different than the ones I have.

It's probably just the lighting. You can barely even tell it has a blonde horn in my image.

Mine looks very much like the one in the pictures at KNS, albeit my kurouchi appears to be a bit darker and more visually interesting. The profile is dead on to the one in the images though.

It's probably just the lighting. You can barely even tell it has a blonde horn in my image.

Mine looks very much like the one in the pictures at KNS, albeit my kurouchi appears to be a bit darker and more visually interesting. The profile is dead on to the one in the images though.

maybe it’s the angle of the pic, but it looks taller and more pointed than the two i have. Mine are 210 and 240. I converted the handles on mine, rounded them into d handle on one and the other a double d, then torched them.

maybe it’s the angle of the pic, but it looks taller and more pointed than the two i have. Mine are 210 and 240. I converted the handles on mine, rounded them into d handle on one and the other a double d, then torched them.

ok our ku looks the same but yes my 240 appears a fair bit pointier than your 240.

you have a ton of killer knives on your IG.

ok our ku looks the same but yes my 240 appears a fair bit pointier than your 240.

you have a ton of killer knives on your IG.

ok good. So I’m not far off on this one. I’m digging that more pointed profile for sure

Itsuo Doi Blue 2 Ironclad 240 mm gyuto
246x54 mm
260 g
3.1 mm at handle (above machi gap), 3.0 mm at heel, 2.5 mm at the middle, 1.2 mm at 1 cm from the tip
Hand-laminated sanmai construction
Purchased from Carbon Knife Co

Saw another Doi posted here a couple days ago, so I thought I’d post this in solidarity. Since selling my Mazaki a few months ago, I’ve missed having a full carbon workhorse in rotation. Wanted a Watanabe/Toyama ironclad for a while now, but they’re hard to come by these days and my stainless clad Watanabe falls solidly into the middleweight category. I agonized back and forth between this Doi, the KS style Doi from CKTG or a Mizuno DX, but in the end, the added weight and heel height won me over.
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Choil
Image_3.jpeg

Spine
Image_4.jpeg

Balance point
Image_5.jpeg

Image_6.jpeg

Image_7.jpeg

Bonus points for the cool stamp

Been using this thing for a couple weeks now and I think I’ve gotten a good feel for it. Clearly already a heavy knife, the stock handle is a bit anorexic, narrower and lighter than any standard octagonal ho wood handle I’ve held before. In conjunction with the machi gap, this pushes the balance point to right in front of the 4th character of the Doi stamp, making this the most forward balanced of any knife I’ve owned, right on the edge of being unwieldy. While thin enough behind the edge, the overall grind is very substantial and nicely convexed on both sides from spine to edge, with a pronounced right side bias (sorry lefties). Unlike the KS style Doi gyuto from CKTG, distal taper here is almost nonexistent and the tip could stand to shed some weight.

Despite not ghosting through onions horizontally, the tip still slides through surprisingly well with just a tiny bit of lift. On soft product, the Doi absolutely plows through, with the weight and forward balance doing all the work. Tested it on carrots, apples, sweet potatoes and yucca and while it does face some resistance from dense produce overall, the grind does an excellent job of preventing any dead stop wedging. Additionally, the stiffer spine and solid construction really give the confidence to muscle through taller foods while the cutting feel is still pretty smooth for such a hefty knife. Edge retention is somewhere in the neighborhood of my Watanabe, maybe not quite as hard, but accounting for the Doi’s extra weight and how much more heavy handed I am with it than my Wat, I figure it’s pretty close. Great balance of food separation and release, as expected from the asymmetric convex grind. Nice all around profile, not as flat as it looks, but with a decent flat by the heel and a gentle curve to the tip. Cladding is less reactive than my Mazaki. Spine is eased some and choil is chamfered.

All in all, this thing is a thoroughbred workhorse. An excellent piece of craftsmanship by Itsuo Doi and the sharpener, Mitsuo Yamatsuka. I think a little thinning right behind the edge and some extra work around the tip area will really make this knife sing, but in the meantime, it’s like driving a tank; a bit heavy and lacking in nuance, but authoritative and totally bulletproof, able to roll over anything you put in front of it and come out the other end unscathed.

Thanks to @Brian Weekley and @Twigg for answering my questions about Doi knives.

C1806B57-03B2-487E-A229-AEF74AF13700.jpeg

8E19DC3E-3468-4776-B7BF-6716B7B22F3D.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to pick up a 270mm Hinoura River Jump. I’m normally not drawn to unicorns. Hinoura’s River Jump fell into a bit of a different category. Apart from being a master knife-smith Hinoura has perfected a technique to twist his damascus blade into a unique form. One can’t argue the skill. Whether that implies that you should pay a premium price to add it to your collection. I did.

Upon receipt I have to admit being more impressed than I thought I would be. It’s a substantial blade ... more workhorse than laser. It’s balance is substantially blade heavy. I don’t mind that ... it’s not that it will be a daily user. Nominally a 270mm Gyuto. White #2 Damascus forged by Tsukasa Hinoura Actual blade length is 262mm depth ... 50mm 62 HRC. 4.69x3.45x3.2mm thickness at the heel, mid and 1” from the tip. 266gms. Magnolia wood and water buffalo horn collar. F&f is excellent and suitable for the knife. The handle is a disappointment, but is easy to change.

I asked my family if they had a preference for a meal to be used to welcome the River Jump to the family. As we have turned into a late fall the family was unanimous in their wish for a Seven Layer Supper. Seven layers it is. Here’s a few pics of the knife in action.

CE30AED7-B7DF-4630-A3D8-2388366C82C4.jpeg

0A0983E5-2A5F-4B12-8706-D42DDE34EDC9.jpeg

16018CF1-E81B-43E0-8D69-CB2F3D739037.jpeg

EE70E33A-F315-47A6-9D42-243B205EFE54.jpeg

8E597B00-EB61-490F-9BE5-414C4170F8D1.jpeg

AB6703AA-4B30-4857-86D8-530D034A1518.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 103479

View attachment 103480

A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to pick up a 270mm Hinoura River Jump. I’m normally not drawn to unicorns. Hinoura’s River Jump fell into a bit of a different category. Apart from being a master knife-smith Hinoura has perfected a technique to twist his damascus blade into a unique form. One can’t argue the skill. Whether that implies that you should pay a premium price to add it to your collection. I did.

Upon receipt I have to admit being more impressed than I thought I would be. It’s a substantial blade ... more workhorse than laser. It’s balance is substantially blade heavy. I don’t mind that ... it’s not that it will be a daily user. Nominally a 270mm Gyuto. White #2 Damascus forged by Tsukasa Hinoura Actual blade length is 262mm depth ... 50mm 62 HRC. 4.69x3.45x3.2mm thickness at the heel, mid and 1” from the tip. 266gms. Magnolia wood and water buffalo horn collar. F&f is excellent and suitable for the knife. The handle is a disappointment, but is easy to change.

I asked my family if they had a preference for a meal to be used to welcome the River Jump to the family. As we have turned into a late fall the family was unanimous in their wish for a Seven Layer Supper. Seven layers it is. Here’s a few pics of the knife in action.

View attachment 103492
View attachment 103493

View attachment 103494

View attachment 103495

View attachment 103496

View attachment 103497

Well looks like you’re back in the swing of things!!! And I’m back to wanting to be adopted by you. 🤣

Last edited:
View attachment 103479

View attachment 103480

View attachment 103492
View attachment 103493

View attachment 103494

View attachment 103495

View attachment 103496

View attachment 103497
Brian, I really like your choice of knives. But the food really makes my mouth water, each and every time! I really enjoy to see not only knives in your posts, but knives in use, and the results! Thank you for that!

Itsuo Doi Blue 2 Ironclad 240 mm gyuto
246x54 mm
260 g
3.1 mm at handle (above machi gap), 3.0 mm at heel, 2.5 mm at the middle, 1.2 mm at 1 cm from the tip
Hand-laminated sanmai construction
Purchased from Carbon Knife Co

Saw another Doi posted here a couple days ago, so I thought I’d post this in solidarity. Since selling my Mazaki a few months ago, I’ve missed having a full carbon workhorse in rotation. Wanted a Watanabe/Toyama ironclad for a while now, but they’re hard to come by these days and my stainless clad Watanabe falls solidly into the middleweight category. I agonized back and forth between this Doi, the KS style Doi from CKTG or a Mizuno DX, but in the end, the added weight and heel height won me over.
View attachment 103427

View attachment 103426

View attachment 103429
Choil
View attachment 103431
Spine
View attachment 103428
Balance point
View attachment 103430
View attachment 103433

View attachment 103432
Bonus points for the cool stamp

Been using this thing for a couple weeks now and I think I’ve gotten a good feel for it. Clearly already a heavy knife, the stock handle is a bit anorexic, narrower and lighter than any standard octagonal ho wood handle I’ve held before. In conjunction with the machi gap, this pushes the balance point to right in front of the 4th character of the Doi stamp, making this the most forward balanced of any knife I’ve owned, right on the edge of being unwieldy. While thin enough behind the edge, the overall grind is very substantial and nicely convexed on both sides from spine to edge, with a pronounced right side bias (sorry lefties). Unlike the KS style Doi gyuto from CKTG, distal taper here is almost nonexistent and the tip could stand to shed some weight.

Despite not ghosting through onions horizontally, the tip still slides through surprisingly well with just a tiny bit of lift. On soft product, the Doi absolutely plows through, with the weight and forward balance doing all the work. Tested it on carrots, apples, sweet potatoes and yucca and while it does face some resistance from dense produce overall, the grind does an excellent job of preventing any dead stop wedging. Additionally, the stiffer spine and solid construction really give the confidence to muscle through taller foods while the cutting feel is still pretty smooth for such a hefty knife. Edge retention is somewhere in the neighborhood of my Watanabe, maybe not quite as hard, but accounting for the Doi’s extra weight and how much more heavy handed I am with it than my Wat, I figure it’s pretty close. Great balance of food separation and release, as expected from the asymmetric convex grind. Nice all around profile, not as flat as it looks, but with a decent flat by the heel and a gentle curve to the tip. Cladding is less reactive than my Mazaki. Spine is eased some and choil is chamfered.

All in all, this thing is a thoroughbred workhorse. An excellent piece of craftsmanship by Itsuo Doi and the sharpener, Mitsuo Yamatsuka. I think a little thinning right behind the edge and some extra work around the tip area will really make this knife sing, but in the meantime, it’s like driving a tank; a bit heavy and lacking in nuance, but authoritative and totally bulletproof, able to roll over anything you put in front of it and come out the other end unscathed.

Thanks to @Brian Weekley and @Twigg for answering my questions about Doi knives.
These are such bad*** knives. I contemplated picking one up before the pandemic but went with a shigehiro instead. Still would love one but i’ll have to avoid iron for now.

Brian, I really like your choice of knives. But the food really makes my mouth water, each and every time! I really enjoy to see not only knives in your posts, but knives in use, and the results! Thank you for that!

What attracted me to collecting kitchen knives in the first place was the thought of partaking in the skill and effort put into creation of the blade in the first instance, in the efforts of the sharpener to give the blade edge life, and finally the workmanship of the handle maker. Simply owning the knife, the result of such creativity, is a privilege. I can’t imagine a knife being created and not used for its intended purpose. That is why I present the knives in the thread “in action”. It’s just part of my OCD. 😊😊😊

Back