Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he let go of this?? Hmmm

so I don’t know which knife this is, but swear it looks like a Kato WH

I thought the Black Lotus was insane, but this is insane in the membrane!
😂😂😂
Yea it’s Kato WH. I already sharpened it and got some patina from an onion. I tried to use the whole knife evenly on the onion but the rear part still doesn’t have a lot color. I guess chopping doesn’t help with patina.

The steel is very difficult to sharpen. More difficult than any white steel I’ve tried including some honyakis. It feels so dense and hard and the board feedback is very similar to honyakis. It’s a beast. Its weight distribution and grind are so good that chopping is like a charm. I think I’m in love. I might need to find more Kato.

2E8AB391-6CD8-4DA5-AEC1-F16793BC687E.jpeg

Last edited:
Always wanted to pick up one of those blazens or jikko ginsanko. Look sweet!

I recommend them both. The Blazen has better overall fit and finish with the polished spine and choil. The Jikko is no slouch though and has a more comfortable and substantial handle. It is probably the best value out of the bunch given the mono ginsan. I don’t know what they call the edge geometry on the Jikko but it’s basically sharpened 99/1. I likely would have stopped at the Blazen of not for the undersized (to me) handle. Every knife in the photo he better fit and finish than the Tanaka but...

https://sharpedgeshop.com/collections/shigeki-tanaka/products/tanaka-gyuto-r2-damascus-210mm
I can’t say whether I got a good deal or not but at this point the right knife is more important than the price for me. 215x48-49mm. Good proportions overall and I like the integral bolster over the ironwood.
Love it. But it definitely highlights intrinsic value when stacked up against the others you have there. I finally replaced my Tanaka ironwood with this, and feel pretty good with this finally as my stainless option:
4105B6AF-30F2-4B9D-97CD-246E656183AD.jpeg
B89975D0-C199-453A-B496-1045EE4DE140.jpeg

Nigara Hamono. Was curious about them myself. So would love to get some feedback
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...ts/nigara-anmon-damascus-gyuto-210mm-polished
I’m sadly in the middle of a move and picked this up as a gift to ourselves for the trouble for the new spot (it has 2 kitchens!!! Need more knives, right??). So haven’t had the chance to try it yet as my house looks like a storage warehouse. But the specs are in that link, and in hand I can tell you it’s awesome. Very confidence inspiring but thin as hell at the edge. Taper is great and overall ratios are stellar. More to come.

I recommend them both. The Blazen has better overall fit and finish with the polished spine and choil. The Jikko is no slouch though and has a more comfortable and substantial handle. It is probably the best value out of the bunch given the mono ginsan. I don’t know what they call the edge geometry on the Jikko but it’s basically sharpened 99/1. I likely would have stopped at the Blazen of not for the undersized (to me) handle. Every knife in the photo he better fit and finish than the Tanaka but...
Very interesting. I’m really not a fan of grinds/edges like that. I was really hoping the ginsan jikko was more similar to the blazen grind wise etc. I’ll have to pick a blazen up sometime soon maybe. I have a masahiro 240 for a beater. It came with the same 90/10 edge so it’s sharpened a little differently. It look me 3-4 sharpenings for some reason to get used to it and dial in. After a serious thinning job, the knife cuts very well and holds an edge for a surprisingly long time. It’s my everyday beater when I need something I could care less about falling etc but I would not buy another just because of that edge/grind ratio. I’m just not a fan. Would rather a 240 or 270 blazen any day. For some reason I noticed that I have been sticking with knives $500 and under lately. I think I just feel better walking into work with a wakui or munetoshi than a jiro or something.

Very interesting. I’m really not a fan of grinds/edges like that. I was really hoping the ginsan jikko was more similar to the blazen grind wise etc. I’ll have to pick a blazen up sometime soon maybe. I have a masahiro 240 for a beater. It came with the same 90/10 edge so it’s sharpened a little differently. It look me 3-4 sharpenings for some reason to get used to it and dial in. After a serious thinning job, the knife cuts very well and holds an edge for a surprisingly long time. It’s my everyday beater when I need something I could care less about falling etc but I would not buy another just because of that edge/grind ratio. I’m just not a fan. Would rather a 240 or 270 blazen any day. For some reason I noticed that I have been sticking with knives $500 and under lately. I think I just feel better walking into work with a wakui or munetoshi than a jiro or something.

I just posted it for sale on BST and included a couple photos of the edge. It cuts very well, just something I hadn’t seen before.

After churning through a number of knives this year, i decided that I would go on a restraint on purchasing until 2022. That said, given the fact I have to work in a couple of small kitchens, I felt I needed one last knife in 165mm length. I just about went with the safe choice, a Yoshikane SKD santoku, but woke up one day last week and said screw it and bought this instead

20201129_163640.jpg

Back