Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shi.han 240mm Gyuto 52100

39999920ec.jpg

39999944zd.jpg

That's what I call a beater.

Mack.

There is a comparison somewhere that someone did. The summary was the knives were similar.

They were at one time very similar. When the ZKramers first came out they were actually pretty thin behind the edge. But the more recent ones are not so much.
I have a couple good ones and did a comparison of a Zk 8” next to a real Kramer 8”. Sooo close. Now mind you my 8” has been thinned and tuned by Jon.

They were at one time very similar. When the ZKramers first came out they were actually pretty thin behind the edge. But the more recent ones are not so much.
I have a couple good ones and did a comparison of a Zk 8” next to a real Kramer 8”. Sooo close. Now mind you my 8” has been thinned and tuned by Jon.

Mine is not thin behind the edge =/ I have two knives that need to be rehandled too I think I need to give Jon a ring in the not too distant future.

Y Tanaka Blue 1 Damascus gyuto. KNS version - Sentan with ebony and marble horn heart/kite handle. 217 edge, 48 heel and 198 grams. Thanks to James for sending multiple pics of handle and blade options plus a great Black Friday price. Delivered from Australia to US in 4 days!

Beautiful combination!
But isn't it a Blue 2 according to KNS?

View attachment 104853

One of the nicest aspects of KKF is the friends you make along the way. A while back I commented in a post that I had been looking for a Comet to add to my collection. As Trey has taken a break from knife making I wasn’t having much luck. Along came Hassenbensober to my rescue by offering his Comet Honyaki Gyuto. It was perfect as I was looking for a daily user. 238mm blade length, 220mm edge length, 50mm high, 3.65mm thick at the heel. Probably 26C3 carbon steel with a HRC of 63-64. 180gms. Here is a few more pics.

View attachment 104840

View attachment 104854

View attachment 104855

View attachment 104856

Adding to my luck recently was advice from marc4pt0 to pick up one of the new Anova Precision Ovens. I did and have been using it for the past month or so. I picked up a cheap top round roast on sale this week and thought it would be perfect to roast in my new oven to welcome the Comet Honyaki to the family. Here’s a couple more pics.

View attachment 104858

View attachment 104859

View attachment 104860

Though the pics show that the roast was a bit dry it was in fact perfectly moist. I dry brined the roast for 48 hours, seared the roast in beef fat for 6 minutes, then used the Anova oven for a 22hr sous vide roast at 135F. Amazing! My new Comet made short work of the roast and was easily capable of wonderfully thin slices. Two winners courtesy of two KKF friends.
I really really want one of those ovens. Such a brilliant idea. And that knife is no slouch either. Envious of both for sure

Got this little petty from shihan last week about 185mm. I now have four petty/suji between 180-200mm...bc I have a problem. View attachment 104973View attachment 104974View attachment 104975View attachment 104976View attachment 104977
Also a cheaper way to try his stuff out. Unfortunately I like it and will probably have to buy a larger/pricier example.
I REALLY want one of these now. That would be a such a sweet sweet blade. The charred ash handle with that KU is seriously great looking. Might have to get a gyuto from him in this style.

Yasaku Blue #2 Bunka @170mm.

My first Japanese knife. Got this in mid-October and have been using it at home since. It's a small knife, perfect for home use. It's very light, but no flex in the blade so it feels sturdy enough on the board. Good blade height so my push cutting feels really good. Balance point is just on the blade side of the choil which makes it feel even lighter in my pinch grip. Nice Bunka tip for some detail work. $149.95 For this price, I think it's a heck of a good knife. I'm glad I have it. I did get a Saya for it and had it sharpened before they sent it to me. I'm glad I did both of those too.

Tom.

IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG

Y Tanaka Blue 1 Damascus gyuto. KNS version - Sentan with ebony and marble horn heart/kite handle. 217 edge, 48 heel and 198 grams. Thanks to James for sending multiple pics of handle and blade options plus a great Black Friday price. Delivered from Australia to US in 4 days!View attachment 105062View attachment 105063View attachment 105064View attachment 105065View attachment 105066View attachment 105067View attachment 105068View attachment 105069

I am curious how they stack up against the JNS versions - look very similar - the only reason I did not grab one. But Y Tanaka is an true master who makes some incredible knives. The Damascus is really beautiful, natural and subtle vs. Being gaudy

First kitchen knife purchase since 2015 I think 🤔.

Kaeru Kasumi White #2 240mm Gyuto from JNS. Picked it up on special for Black Friday and figure for the price, why not? Maxim has always had good taste in knives and stones.

View attachment 105300
Maksim is the man!

he brings us rare unicorns and incredible value knives like Kaeru and Munetoshj

Back