Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haburn 230mm x 53mm AEB-L with redwood burl handle with copper bolster and spacers.
20210104_141830.jpg

You probably seen this one before.. 🙃

Was approached by another member here to trade my 200-something Kato Suji. I added my Kato Nakiri, both I did not use that much. In return he sent me his barely used 240 WH Kato and a razor(that I also have to learn to know). My first Japanese knife was a 210 Kato WH. It got such a heavy beating from my newbie use, my 2nd year in the kitchen(7-8 years ago), still have it but its pretty thick after reparing chips. Excited to touch this up on the stone and get a nice edge on it. Compared to the 210 its a beast, at least for my small hands.
My collection is complete, at least for now...
1609761468711.png

Little 135mm TF petty. Was shipped via sea on Oct. 13th. Have 2 denka and 2 maboroshi so was interested in trying the nashiji line.

It feels nice in hand and well made. From what my fingers feel the grind seems pretty darn even, but stones will tell the full story. (My 4th TF purchased direct and all have been good in this regard). There are the usual gaps and such in the handle that would drive some of you nuts, but is perfectly fine for me. The handle looks and feels nicer in person than I was expecting from the pictures. Edge and spine are dead straight.

How's the nakiri... I mean small cleaver... working out? Tried to convince my wife we should invest in two for the kids. No success.

the tiny cleaver is working great. I’m in a small knife phase right now and my daily users are the mini nakiri, 180mm Shihan gyuto and 135mm petty. I can’t speak as to whether it is suitable for children, but my partner who has rather small hands and generally stays out of the kitchen likes the tiny sharp rectangle a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I am delighted with it.

Apologies for the nth time for bad phone photos, but here's the gang all together:

KopNNEC.png

Lew Griffin petty in 1095

Kamon gyuto

DP gyuto (which I use as a slicer).

That's me done for a good while.

Wow, quite a lovely set you have there! Is the rack magnatized through the back? And does it lay flat for a cutting board on the backside?

Wow, quite a lovely set you have there! Is the rack magnatized through the back? And does it lay flat for a cutting board on the backside?
It is magnetised yeah. Doesn't lay flat, there's a stand on the back.

Dude, this last year has been LIT for you. What a journey watching your collection grow. Solid choices too.

Thank you for the kind and supportive words! Yeah, last year was kinda a perfect storm regarding knife purchases. After almost a decade of buying J-knives, finally felt like I'd found a groove with tastes and preferences—socializing with knowledgable peeps helpful. I can thank you for turning me on to 225mm gyutos.

I don’t know how you get them to respond - they never email me back😂

Heiji doesn't respond to you at [email protected]?

I have exchanged about a dozen emails back and forth with him over Oct - Nov.
There was one period where he didn't answer for 2 weeks, I sent him a follow up asking if everything was OK, and he responded the next day again.
Actually relatively easy to work with overall, there is a definite language barrier as he runs everything through a translator, but if you 'dumb it down' a bit, and ask for confirmation on things he's great.
He drew several sketches for me and asked multiple times if he understood correctly himself as well.

Kind of surprises me you don't get a response 🤔

I don’t know how you get them to respond - they never email me back😂

"They"? This one bought almost BNIB, secondhand, so response from seller very quick! My other Heiji was from JKI, so response from Jon also prompt and attentive. When I've emailed Nakaya Heiji, I've always gotten a response.

I know - because there is a retailer that sells in Germany, maybe they don’t respond to me, because they want me to buy from the retailer - I don’t know😳

I know - because there is a retailer that sells in Germany, maybe they don’t respond to me, because they want me to buy from the retailer - I don’t know😳

Probably not, is my thought, Heiji is also sold through a US vendor. Are your emails exceptionally involved and lengthy?

• Haha
Reactions: ian
Back