Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to add a decent German style chef's knife to my arsenal since before getting into Japanese knives, but every one I've tried has had some detail that I just couldn't live with.

After rocking, smashing and cross-chopping with this guy for a few months I can say that the search is over, and the niche has been filled. This is just a perfectly executed package for what it is, way ahead of wusthof/zwilling offerings imo, and for a lower price to boot.

20201107_085938 (1).jpg

I've thought about one of his for a bit. Please do report. Looks like the other French makers to some degree
Hey,
This is what I wrote to someone asking regarding performance and overall about the knife:
It's hard to tell. The profile is good but not perfect. I wanted some convexity which he achieved but more in the front than the end. When I saw the pics of the forged blade, already knew he has too few material to get it really convex towards the heel. The handle is a bit too long for me but doesn't feel terrible in hand, it's quite light. Blade looks really good. Spine nicely rounded, choil nicely eased. Tang could be a bit better fitted into the handle but it's alright. You can see some grindmarks still, he went onto higher grits too fast, wasn't consistant enough. Saya is fitting well at the spine and also with the pin but a bit too loose towards the edge. Pin is way too loose and also a bit too long, will have to use a thread to not lose it and shorten it. Performance wise it was strange the first time using it, something felt off. Used it on kitchen paper towels and could tell it has more bite than refined edge but was still sharp, so had to be something else. After using it and feeling the knife I believe the problem is the convexity. It's too heavy convex close to the edge and the knife is thicker in the middle part towards the tip than at the heel around 1-2cm over the edge. Have to get calipers to measure it, will be interesting. It sucks going horizontally through onions and you can tell something is off. The tip could be a tiny bit thinner for me but works well. No problems regarding vertical cuts in an onion. So I will have to measure it, inspect it and keep using it to know exactly what i will have to do. Either send it back to Simon or let it become a project knife which is more likely. I kinda got a dud but believe I just had bad luck. If it wouldn't have this problem it would be a nice knife for the money. Steel feels good on the board, takes a nice and stable patina, also feels robust.
Just talked with someone else about his and what he thinks about it. Same as me tip could be thinner but is alright. Too much convexity, sent it back to him to thin it out, was better but he still thins it out by himself.
His measurements:
1cm over the edge: heel, half way, 1cm from tip:
SM: 1.32 - 1.63 - 0.89

Hey,
This is what I wrote to someone asking regarding performance and overall about the knife:
It's hard to tell. The profile is good but not perfect. I wanted some convexity which he achieved but more in the front than the end. When I saw the pics of the forged blade, already knew he has too few material to get it really convex towards the heel. The handle is a bit too long for me but doesn't feel terrible in hand, it's quite light. Blade looks really good. Spine nicely rounded, choil nicely eased. Tang could be a bit better fitted into the handle but it's alright. You can see some grindmarks still, he went onto higher grits too fast, wasn't consistant enough. Saya is fitting well at the spine and also with the pin but a bit too loose towards the edge. Pin is way too loose and also a bit too long, will have to use a thread to not lose it and shorten it. Performance wise it was strange the first time using it, something felt off. Used it on kitchen paper towels and could tell it has more bite than refined edge but was still sharp, so had to be something else. After using it and feeling the knife I believe the problem is the convexity. It's too heavy convex close to the edge and the knife is thicker in the middle part towards the tip than at the heel around 1-2cm over the edge. Have to get calipers to measure it, will be interesting. It sucks going horizontally through onions and you can tell something is off. The tip could be a tiny bit thinner for me but works well. No problems regarding vertical cuts in an onion. So I will have to measure it, inspect it and keep using it to know exactly what i will have to do. Either send it back to Simon or let it become a project knife which is more likely. I kinda got a dud but believe I just had bad luck. If it wouldn't have this problem it would be a nice knife for the money. Steel feels good on the board, takes a nice and stable patina, also feels robust.
Just talked with someone else about his and what he thinks about it. Same as me tip could be thinner but is alright. Too much convexity, sent it back to him to thin it out, was better but he still thins it out by himself.
His measurements:
Thank you

I have a blue 1 Y Tanaka and I assure you it’s an absolute pleasure. I’m very envious of your dimensions though. I’d say those specs are just about perfect for a do it all knife.
I tried it the FM this weekend - some shakshuka, zucchini flowers, and pesto pesto Genovese with potatoes and beans pasta, and it was a delight to work with - simply glides through food

I had a chance to also use this Heldqvist 270mm knife with near identical dimensions - won on auction - this Heldqvist was something else - I have to find out how Tobias sharpened the knife because if anything can keep up or best a Kono - that is saying something

Kono handle was skinny

Hey,
His measurements:

Btw, horizontal through onions is the ultimate test for me - with all due respect to carrots and potatoes - the Yanick was magical in this regard

I tried it the FM this weekend - some shakshuka, zucchini flowers, and pesto pesto Genovese with potatoes and beans pasta, and it was a delight to work with - simply glides through food

I had a chance to also use this Heldqvist 270mm knife with near identical dimensions - won on auction - this Heldqvist was something else - I have to find out how Tobias sharpened the knife because if anything can keep up or best a Kono - that is saying something

Kono handle was skinny
I’ve heard several times that Heldqvist puts excellent edges on his knives. A nice feature!

Just bought an Ogata (Takefu) 24cm gyuto in SG2 62-63 HRC. I like high blades and this one is 55mm high, which feels awesome to my hands.

The sharpening wasn't that good, a couple of cm unsharpened and a small wave near the tip, but I usually never judge a knife on OOTB sharpness since I always make my own edge the first thing I do. Just had a short playing around with it and it feels really nice. Never tried an SG2/R2 knife before, but sharpening was about the same as aogami super imo.

Im happy and looking forward to take it through it's paces!

Attachments

• 20210111_160309.jpg
    20210111_160309.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210111_160313.jpg
    20210111_160313.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210111_160329.jpg
    20210111_160329.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210111_160316.jpg
    20210111_160316.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I’ve heard several times that Heldqvist puts excellent edges on his knives. A nice feature!
I reached out to Tobias today about what he used to sharpen this beauty. He told me that he sharpened it according to the following progression:
Shapton 1000
Jnat 3000
Shapton glass 8000
Jnat 10,000
Leather stropping

It explains why is performed the way it did

Just had time to try my Kai 24 cm Yanagiba :D works like a charm even out of the box sharp as a razor ^^ and the weight is a bit on the light side but the lack of flex when cutting sushi rolls is awesome :p a true nightmare to cut seaweed rolled rice with a flexy filet knife :b

Extended my collection a little. This time with a 240 bread knife. Is actually a sujihiki made by Tsukahara san from Seki and the serrations are made here by a local sharpener.
I've never seen or heard of anyone doing anything like that. Looks like it's quite suitable in use.

What steel is the knife made of?

Haven’t posted on this thread in while, been busy switching jobs because of the ‘Rona. But here I am. Still waiting on a couple in the mail, but I got this awhile back.

5EB1CC68-77FA-45ED-89B3-DED907FB25A9.jpeg
8F2CB010-6FB5-4E2A-8F08-CB92EFAE29F6.jpeg
9320BE88-A515-4C70-8266-3D8A02AF40B5.jpeg

Milan Gravier 225x57 Gyuto

Really, really impressed by his polishing skills, he really brought out the banding! Can’t really see it in my sh*tty iPhone 7 pics but here’s the link to the IG post below.

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing anything like that. Looks like it's quite suitable in use.

What steel is the knife made of?
It's made of HAP40. A bit overkill for a bread knife but I wasn't free to choose. I was a bit afraid of chipping but when you see the tips of the serrations they are not as thin as a normal sujihiki edge. The sharpener took it back a bit.

Y Tanaka Blue 1 Damascus gyuto. KNS version - Sentan with ebony and marble horn heart/kite handle. 217 edge, 48 heel and 198 grams. Thanks to James for sending multiple pics of handle and blade options plus a great Black Friday price. Delivered from Australia to US in 4 days!View attachment 105062View attachment 105063View attachment 105064View attachment 105065View attachment 105066View attachment 105067View attachment 105068View attachment 105069
Beautiful knife! How do you like the profile? Also, have you taken it to the stones yet?

I found the Kagekiyo Damascus in Hong Kong at KTH (King Tak Hong). The handle is stunning and the brass has slight roughness so I don't need to worry about ebony being slippery when wet. More info and pics of it in my gallery.

Back