Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So got a lot of knives from this guy today - he deploys an ancient Swedish quenching technique - really cool stuff

250x60
253 gm
Cuts like a dream!
HSS1
Feels amazing in the hand

B52B6618-F00C-4005-8F1D-5BE0D67E8A4C.jpeg
C0A6A924-8447-4EFC-977A-9BFEEB06B053.jpeg
B62C8494-6983-4E11-AB26-440AEFA0A8E2.jpeg
F1C326E8-C734-4679-8CA1-7F5F1CBDB33E.jpeg
263D61EE-A3BA-43F6-8799-44F1A0C0C79D.jpeg

you mind taking a shot of it against something flat? I wanna see how muchof a flat spot the new profile has.

I tried to do it with the paper cutout from the pdf...but would rather see the real thing.

Yep, I can do that today when I have a moment.

you mind taking a shot of it against something flat? I wanna see how muchof a flat spot the new profile has.

I tried to do it with the paper cutout from the pdf...but would rather see the real thing.
I attached a new photo to my original post showing the flat spot.

I think he was gone before my time, but I've heard a lot about him. Kind of a controversial figure?
He’s really great at what he does, on par with the best guys out there. I don’t think he’s controversial, he just has a low threshold for BS. He’s super passionate. If you have an opportunity to work with him- do not pass. The work he does on Yanick’s knives is absolutely bananas.

After speaking with Jon Broida last week, I placed an order with JKI. I went for a Kintaro 210mm Stainless Clad White #2 Migaki Wa-Gyuto. The knife JKI offers is not the same as the one listed at MTC. JKI has a stainless clad knife while MTC is iron clad. JKI has eased choil and spine - MTCs pictures don't appear that way.

Also, on the JKI site I see that the Kintaro branding is apparently going to change. It's now Yoshimi Echizen. I think this name is sensible - it identifies Yoshimi Kato as the maker and the region. No confusion if it's a Hiroshi or Yoshimi. BTW - Yoshimi married Hiroshi's daughter, making him Hiroshi's son-in-law, but he has the same last name. I guess it's probably because of the common name - I read a post from Ken Hash listing the top 10 Japanese last names and Kato was number 10 IIRC.

The kanji on this knife doesn't match what I see on JKI and MTC photos, but I have no idea of what either kanji indicates.
0123knt1.jpg
0123knt3.jpg
0123knt4.jpg
0123knt2.jpg
0123.jpg

JKI includes the saya. The knife came well sharpened and I like it. The knife weighs 131 grams and balances about 30mm in front of the ferrule.

Last edited:
So got a lot of knives from this guy today - he deploys an ancient Swedish quenching technique - really cool stuff

250x60
253 gm
Cuts like a dream!
HSS1
Feels amazing in the hand

View attachment 111096View attachment 111097View attachment 111098View attachment 111099View attachment 111100

Gosh that steel is great. I will take it, please and thank you. 😉 Seriously, enjoy. Let us know how it sharpens up on the stones when you finally have to do that in a year or so...

He’s really great at what he does, on par with the best guys out there. I don’t think he’s controversial, he just has a low threshold for BS. He’s super passionate. If you have an opportunity to work with him- do not pass. The work he does on Yanick’s knives is absolutely bananas.
Thanks for the perspective. His sharpening skills have been held in high regard as far as I've heard.

Thanks, always nice to deal with Koki. It was actually originally ordered in September 2020, but because it was lefty it took a few months. Koki didn’t complain about it being a high maintenance request and gave me periodic updates.
He’s great to me for my lefty requests. A real pleasure to deal with

Thanks for the perspective. His sharpening skills have been held in high regard as far as I've heard.

IME there are other sharpeners is USA (I’ve sent to several over the years) who do work which is easily just as good, but without the shenanigans. I won’t name them publicly as I don’t want to impugn anyone else in the conversation.

My take on business / customer service is you can kinda measure their integrity when things go wrong or not as planned. By that I mean, it’s quite possible to have a positive business experience with little to no interaction… you place an order online, it ships within the specified time, safely arrives via courier/post, done. But when there are issues or something happens (such as forgetting to ship an item, problem/delay during shipping, etc.)… do you want to be told to fk off, or do you want to have a back and forth dialogue to try and resolve the situation? I don’t think that’s being high maintenance, I think that’s part of doing business, but I’m no expert.

IME there are other sharpeners is USA (I’ve sent to several over the years) who do work which is easily just as good, but without the shenanigans. I won’t name them publicly as I don’t want to impugn anyone else in the conversation.

My take on business / customer service is you can kinda measure their integrity when things go wrong or not as planned. By that I mean, it’s quite possible to have a positive business experience with little to no interaction… you place an order online, it ships within the specified time, safely arrives via courier/post, done. But when there are issues or something happens (such as forgetting to ship an item, problem/delay during shipping, etc.)… do you want to be told to fk off, or do you want to have a back and forth dialogue to try and resolve the situation? I don’t think that’s being high maintenance, I think that’s part of doing business, but I’m no expert.
I agree that attitude is a factor.
I acknowledged that he's skilled. Probably much more so than me. It makes me sad when skill and attitude are conflated.
It also frustrates me when "this person has been great to me" implies it's unbelievable or unlikely to be true that "this person was demonstrably rude to someone else". Any and all of these can be true at the same time.
For myself, I enjoy doing business without profanity.

Edit : I hope this doesn't sound snippy toward Suita, that's not the intent.

Last edited:
Gosh that steel is great. I will take it, please and thank you. 😉 Seriously, enjoy. Let us know how it sharpens up on the stones when you finally have to do that in a year or so...
I have been using it all weekend - and it is a dream-cutter. Robin is just so good at what he does. Fantastic knife - good news is that he will have more HSS1 on his site, after the Honyaki-Massdrop of course

Back