Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remind me since I'm a knucklehead. Was the steel for these shared? Matters 0% to me, just curious.

@RDalman

It's a simple steel, but I'll leave it to Robin to reveal if he wants to.

Legend has it it's made from the dense steel from a local mountain formed from Odin's rear after he went to Valhalla's Taco Bell

FC6AA4D4-FB00-463E-AE32-ED75A92188A1.jpeg

Hi, I just bought this Ontario Knife Old Hickory Cook Knife 79-8 Yeah, it is a cook knife, not a chef knife. It's OK though, I am not a chef. The 79 might be for the year I first saw the Steelers win the superbowl, not sure yet. Anyway, I bought this bad boy at the Bezos Emporium for a whopping 16 large. I'm using it to hone my sharpening and patina skills. I currently have this thing razor/laser sharp. It currently has an HRC of about 2300.43+ or -. It's strong as steel. As you can see here my mustard, orange and white vinegar created a nice camouflage for when I am cooking outdoors and do not want to be spotted by the in-laws living next door. I also left some pork fat on there just on case. We'll see how that goes. The white vinegar must have been made by a Venetian witch because it left a nasty brown patina, a cursed bottle for sure. For the handle, I smoked it at 225 for about 2 hours in the pellet smoker, gave it a really nice bark. Then I dipped it in some left over polyacrylic and lightly sanded it a couple of times. When it was all done I rubbed it in some oil of the gods. As you can see, I now have a knife that will make your average Morimoto envious for well under a 20 spot. You're welcome! -Rambo

Attachments

• oldhick.jpg
    oldhick.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 99
Hi, I just bought this Ontario Knife Old Hickory Cook Knife 79-8 Yeah, it is a cook knife, not a chef knife. It's OK though, I am not a chef. The 79 might be for the year I first saw the Steelers win the superbowl, not sure yet. Anyway, I bought this bad boy at the Bezos Emporium for a whopping 16 large. I'm using it to hone my sharpening and patina skills. I currently have this thing razor/laser sharp. It currently has an HRC of about 2300.43+ or -. It's strong as steel. As you can see here my mustard, orange and white vinegar created a nice camouflage for when I am cooking outdoors and do not want to be spotted by the in-laws living next door. I also left some pork fat on there just on case. We'll see how that goes. The white vinegar must have been made by a Venetian witch because it left a nasty brown patina, a cursed bottle for sure. For the handle, I smoked it at 225 for about 2 hours in the pellet smoker, gave it a really nice bark. Then I dipped it in some left over polyacrylic and lightly sanded it a couple of times. When it was all done I rubbed it in some oil of the gods. As you can see, I now have a knife that will make your average Morimoto envious for well under a 20 spot. You're welcome! -Rambo
Do you have matching sweatband?

Gosh that steel is great. I will take it, please and thank you. 😉 Seriously, enjoy. Let us know how it sharpens up on the stones when you finally have to do that in a year or so...

Can give some thoughts on sharpening. Robin started the edge with diamond stone, and said that it was hard to sharpen. I expected the worst. However, it was super easy to sharpen on Shapton Glass. Only difficulty is that the edge is so thin that it creates a burr even on the 8000 stone. It’s the only knife I’ve encountered where I need to consider keeping the edge even on both sides on 8000.

With hard jnat the edge felt really rough, but after stropping it’s really good.

Can’t say it needed sharpening, but I wanted to sharpen.

Someone said I like Kono and cannot lie - I do. The MM210 is currently my fave but I wanted more length, and considering this line will not be made again I decided I needed the 240 when I found one available

View attachment 111454
What’s the difference between the MM and FM? I like the specs of the MM, it packs some heft as well

What’s the difference between the MM and FM? I like the specs of the MM, it packs some heft as well

I can only compare a FM 210 W#2 against the MM 210 B#2 directly. Weight is a big one (FM was 117g, the MM is 172g). That extra weight on the MM allows for IMO a better grind - more convexity at the heel, but it thins nicely at the tip. As well, the Blue 2 is a beast in my home kitchen for edge retention. The MM is balanced at the heel (in the 210) due to the heavier handle, and it is not as fancy finish on the spine (but I think it is more usable).

Aside from the FM I had being a laser, I found that pretty much in every characteristic I preferred the MM.

Thanks, good to know. I got the FM blue 2 at 250 gm, 58x270

It is really not a laser in my view, given its weight - handle is weirdly skinny

I have an FM blue 1, baby Kaiju, with a thick profile - comes in at 260 gm - Tosho thicker style FM

It prior to that I always had my eye on the MM - I enjoy knives with some heft to them - maybe worth exploring the MM at some point after I sell a few

Since I also like semi and stainless, anyone tried the MM Ginsan ones? Wanted one and Coutelier Nola had one in stock but got sold like 4 weeks ago and I can't find them anywhere anymore.

Since I also like semi and stainless, anyone tried the MM Ginsan ones? Wanted one and Coutelier Nola had one in stock but got sold like 4 weeks ago and I can't find them anywhere anymore.

Seems like the ginsan MM were rare. I've scoured quite a bit and that one you mentioned is the only one I've seen recently. I've seen a few B#2, some outrageously priced but no ginsan

The MM line is great, both the Blue #2 and Ginsan cut really well.

Latest posts

Back