Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 225 x 55 pokey thing in wrought iron clad 52100 from @Illyria

Wrought iron without lamination flaws, forged geometry with heavy right hand bias, 52100 heat treatment pedigree from Shihan, balanced right in front of pinch at a shade below 230g - will enjoy this one.

20210226_173221.jpg

20210226_174224.jpg

gotta love a nice round butt ;)

20210226_174330.jpg

Shorter in hand that expected.

(Dat’s whut see zed)

I justopened it an hour ago. I’ll put some work in tomorrow. Balance is 65mm from the ferrule. Cheap handle, but it’s a cheap knife. I’m gonna beat this thing like a rented mule. @nakiriknaifuwaifu knows what I’m talkin’ ‘bout!

I'm a bang-for-your-buck, function over form guy so I dig it.

Little collaboration between kemadi and the awesome Jonas (isasmedjan)😃 big tanks man ❤❤

Honyaki integral gyuto 250 mm

Jonas helped me with the handle ,he fixed a simple piece of olive wood from Sicily (tree was over 200 years old ) bringing out a lot of character and did an awesome job with the bolster too ✊💦💦

I have finished the knife using only bentch stones with a progression of 400 ,1000 ,sintetik aoto , uchi , ohira asagi

So happy to bring this one with me back in the kitchen soon .🤤🤤🤤

find myself very much wanting this one

Muteki 200mm funyaki by Taylor, white 1 (of course), acquired from @childermass through BST.

BST thread

The buy process was great as Stephan is a great seller to deal with. This knife had passed through 2 users without sharpening, so it wasn't up to my standards of edge lethality. 10 minutes on the rocks and skins and everything was ready to go. White 1 takes an edge like a dream, as it always does.

Going through it's first prep, damn, this thing is quite the performer. Potatoes, leeks, zucchini, shallots, garlic, spinach, dill and basil later, everything yielded before the blade as it passed gently and smoothly through any and all materials. The grind is quite thin: 2.5mm spine at the heel, 1.7 mid blade. A consistent 0.8mm 10mm up from the cutting edge. Despite that, food release and stick aren't bad: potato slices and dices stuck like mad, but what can you expect from a polished blade with minimal (though present, especially high on the blade) convexity? Everything else was honestly better than one could expect.

muteki side.jpg

muteki choil.jpg
muteki spine.jpg

Got my first cleaver last week from @preizzo with very nice deal 🙏 and been using it in everything 😁. About 220*110 and 427gr, Shirogami 2 sanmai, very thin bte for its size, good release. Fun thing to use and this confirms that having 0 nakiris in the house, is the right choice for me 🥳. I am not sure about the maker but I don't actually care 😊.

View attachment 114980

*One obligatory patina shot*
View attachment 114981
Wow, really nice!
If you ever going to throw that one out in the wild again I’ll be there to catch it 😍

3 additions in the last two months. It's been a busy 2021.
- CCK KF 1912 small stainless cleaver .. because I had a terrible itch to play with something new. It's pretty great for the price, somehow food release still ok-ish, considering it's big and flat. Infinite scoop power.
- JCK single bevel 240 gyuto in Ginsan .. because I always wanted one and finally said screw the logic, and got it. Pretty amazing on meat and fish.
- CJA 255mm x 65mm Nitor-V extra-heavy .. that I ordered a long time ago and received now (see various threads about it). Though, since new years the process of customization etc has been great. This being my best knife it easily gets stellar marks in performance and spectacular f&f. This is also the thicc-est knife I have, though only slight wedging on carrots, and a pretty laser tip. Authoritarian af. This has been my end game for some time and I'm giddy with excitement.

The trio:
IMG_20210224_205658.jpg

The trio x2:
IMG_20210224_205637.jpg

CJA beauty:
IMG_20210224_205921.jpg

CJA choil:
IMG_20210224_210026.jpg

JCK Single bevel choil:
IMG_20210224_210120.jpg

CCK Choil:
IMG_20210224_210323.jpg

Last edited:
Muteki 200mm funyaki by Taylor, white 1 (of course), acquired from @childermass through BST.

BST thread

The buy process was great as Stephan is a great seller to deal with. This knife had passed through 2 users without sharpening, so it wasn't up to my standards of edge lethality. 10 minutes on the rocks and skins and everything was ready to go. White 1 takes an edge like a dream, as it always does.

Going through it's first prep, damn, this thing is quite the performer. Potatoes, leeks, zucchini, shallots, garlic, spinach, dill and basil later, everything yielded before the blade as it passed gently and smoothly through any and all materials. The grind is quite thin: 2.5mm spine at the heel, 1.7 mid blade. A consistent 0.8mm 10mm up from the cutting edge. Despite that, food release and stick aren't bad: potato slices and dices stuck like mad, but what can you expect from a polished blade with minimal (though present, especially high on the blade) convexity? Everything else was honestly better than one could expect.

View attachment 116035
View attachment 116036 View attachment 116037
The heat treat on Carter’s white 1 laminated steel knives is really good, I have a 240mm Apprentice slicer, despite it’s laser thin edge, the edge retention is 2x better than my other lasers, also feels tougher, the OOTB edge not very good, but you really need a good sharpening to bring out the potential.

The heat treat on Carter’s white 1 laminated steel knives is really good, I have a 240mm Apprentice slicer, despite it’s laser thin edge, the edge retention is 2x better than my other lasers, also feels tougher, the OOTB edge not very good, but you really need a good sharpening to bring out the potential.

Yup, that's what I've heard on Carter's HT. I'm pretty happy - two more meals prepped using just that, including a bit of a slice-off compared my Sukenari k-tip (which is my go-to stainless-ish knife), and it's performed admirably. I never tried the OOTB edge - it was used when it got to me, and I'm a bit compulsive on my edges at this point, so it needed sharpening directly, but it's holding the edge great so far. For a laser-y edge, it doesn't feel fragile or anything, and it's definitely incredibly nimble. Only downside is some things stick, but even that isn't terrible - just sub-optimal.

One of the interesting aspects of Carter’s work is that (unless things have changed recently) Carter heat treats by using the colour of the steel and his eyes ... rather than a dial an oven where you just dial a temperature for heat treatment ... as is probably used by most western knife smiths. I’ve wondered whether heating steel in a carbon rich flame from burning coke yields different results than the “cleaner” heat of an electric or natural gas flame. One of the first “Japanese” style knives I acquired was Carter’s “Perfect Kitchen Knife”. I’ve used it a lot and am constantly amazed at how well it takes and keeps an edge. At that time I believe Carter was forging with a blue steel core and mild iron cladding.

The Ku finish on the blade is really smooth, spine and choil are ease as well.
Will report on performance when back at work

Any initial thoughts on the performance ? Their knives look beautifully finished, does anyone have any insight on who the smith and sharpener might be ?

Always surprised that these hang around in stock at places. Yoshi damascus is every bit as nice as Shigefusa in my opinion.
Cheers! Yeah, I remember seeing it on the site at least a couple of years ago, finally pulled the trigger. Craftsmanship is stellar.

Haha that’s what I thought about the SLD Dammy Gyuto I got. I swear I have been looking for years. Every time I’m ready to buy (@EE, Bernal) no one has it. This time it was just sitting there and waiting for my money.

Back