Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 'dream' knife suddenly became possible ... can't thank the Maker (Devin) & Steel designer (Dr. Larrin) enough for the amazing collaboration!! Had to post a pic of the gyuto with an (AEB-L) suji that I also recently received just because the pair is perfect for me ... crazy great workmanship ....

A 240 gyuto (with Larrin Thomas's new steel) wearing Mammoth bone on a Western (all by Devin).

Thx go to the Thomas family ...

View attachment 117638View attachment 117639View attachment 117640
Congratulations! It looks very good matey!

My 'dream' knife suddenly became possible ... can't thank the Maker (Devin) & Steel designer (Dr. Larrin) enough for the amazing collaboration!! Had to post a pic of the gyuto with an (AEB-L) suji that I also recently received just because the pair is perfect for me ... crazy great workmanship ....

A 240 gyuto (with Larrin Thomas's new steel) wearing Mammoth bone on a Western (all by Devin).

Thx go to the Thomas family ...

View attachment 117638View attachment 117639View attachment 117640
Wow, i didnt think he was making knives. You must have the hook up, good for you!

I'm organizing a PA with a Croatian maker named Tomislav Sokač.
Brand name: Radiona Breg

Radiona means workshop and breg means hill.
His logo is a volcano as a reference to the hill and the Greek god of fire and blacksmithing Hephaistos who is said to have his forge under the volcano Mount Etna.

Got the knife this week
The knife:
1.2562 with wrought iron clad from old wagon axle
handle: bog elm with stainless caps, heirloom fit
saya: usually does a transport saya from pine which is a bit thick, rustic
235mm x 57mm
259g
PA rechts.jpg

Wrought rechts 2.jpg

Wrought links.jpg Wrought Spine.jpg Wrought Choil.jpg
Wrought handle right.jpg

Wow, i didnt think he was making knives. You must have the hook up, good for you!

FWIW - I feel incredibly lucky (no hook up here) to have this piece / since, quite frankly, I don't know of any other equivalent on this (or any other) forum. Having a Father and son work to create something together that hasn't been done before ... pretty bloody fantastic ...

I am just incredibly happy to see Devin producing knives because he is so bloody talented ... most importantly, and this applies to all makers, I want them to do so in a manner that is also healthy and sufficiently equitable to help them be able to maintain it. My $0.02 not theirs ... nuf said ...

Last edited:
210 wa handled Denka gyuto! Following the discussion on wabi-sabi and such, I ordered a Denka direct from TF.

Denka 1.jpg

Denka blade.jpg

Denka Choil.jpg
Denka spine.jpg
Denka wonk.jpg

First observations...

Service, ordering from TF directly, was magnificent. It was in the mail the day after I ordered it, the tracking was communicated directly. Gaku, who handled the order, sent me a personalized email encouraging me to love the blade, and to approach them directly in case of issues. The packaging was superb - and the box didn't have TF's photo on it! :D It was in my hands 4 days after ordering it. Gaku also personalized a letter to me - it's a printed sheet, but he took the time to write some words in French by hand on it. It did come with a TF tea towel. I had to pay some import fees here, but not much: only 41 euros. I haven't explored how they came to that level: that's a tiny amount of money, but I haven't opened up the customs declaration yet.

The blade is 214mm long on the edge, 54.5mm tall at the heel, and weighs 166 grams. I haven't used it yet, but it does look and feel like it will be a spectacular cutter - which of course fits what most people say about Denkas, so that's not really a shock. The OOTB edge is extremely sharp.

TF wonkiness section:

1. The blade is straight! That's a good one.

2. The handle is visibly neither centered nor straight. The blade is a millimeter or two left of center, and angled a tiny bit off-of-straight coming out of the handle. Given that I use an extremely forward pinch grip and have giant hands, I think I won't even notice this. If not, well, I know how to remove and replace a handle. TF wonk count 1, though I can't see this impacting use at all.

3. Choil and spine are obviously not rounded or chamfered or softened or any of that nonsense. This is expected on a Denka. I don't count this as wonk, as it's completely expected. I'll smooth that down directly.

4. There is no visible screw-up, er, selective craftsmanship, in the grind or the profile. I need to take a full set of measurements to be sure; I'll do that later.

5. On the tsuchime / ku... the hammer marks don't really line up with the ku, there are some in what has been ground into the bevel. Maybe a half point of TF wonk there? Sure, why not.

So, I cannot wait to get this blade onto the board with product. The profile looks right in my wheelhouse, the edge looks clean and sharp. There are some F&F issues that I suspect won't have the slightest impact on performance. Ordering was an absolute pleasure and, well, for a sought-after blade with the rep of being one of the best performers one could possibly want, the simple fact that you can get one within 3 days for list price borders on shocking.

210 wa handled Denka gyuto! Following the discussion on wabi-sabi and such, I ordered a Denka direct from TF.

View attachment 117841

View attachment 117845

View attachment 117842 View attachment 117843 View attachment 117844

First observations...

Service, ordering from TF directly, was magnificent. It was in the mail the day after I ordered it, the tracking was communicated directly. Gaku, who handled the order, sent me a personalized email encouraging me to love the blade, and to approach them directly in case of issues. The packaging was superb - and the box didn't have TF's photo on it! :D It was in my hands 4 days after ordering it. Gaku also personalized a letter to me - it's a printed sheet, but he took the time to write some words in French by hand on it. It did come with a TF tea towel. I had to pay some import fees here, but not much: only 41 euros. I haven't explored how they came to that level: that's a tiny amount of money, but I haven't opened up the customs declaration yet.

The blade is 214mm long on the edge, 54.5mm tall at the heel, and weighs 166 grams. I haven't used it yet, but it does look and feel like it will be a spectacular cutter - which of course fits what most people say about Denkas, so that's not really a shock. The OOTB edge is extremely sharp.

TF wonkiness section:

2. The handle is visibly neither centered nor straight. The blade is a millimeter or two left of center, and angled a tiny bit off-of-straight coming out of the handle. Given that I use an extremely forward pinch grip and have giant hands, I think I won't even notice this. If not, well, I know how to remove and replace a handle. TF wonk count 1, though I can't see this impacting use at all.

3. Choil and spine are obviously not rounded or chamfered or softened or any of that nonsense. This is expected on a Denka. I don't count this as wonk, as it's completely expected. I'll smooth that down directly.

4. There is no visible screw-up, er, selective craftsmanship, in the grind or the profile. I need to take a full set of measurements to be sure; I'll do that later.

5. On the tsuchime / ku... the hammer marks don't really line up with the ku, there are some in what has been ground into the bevel. Maybe a half point of TF wonk there? Sure, why not.

So, I cannot wait to get this blade onto the board with product. The profile looks right in my wheelhouse, the edge looks clean and sharp. There are some F&F issues that I suspect won't have the slightest impact on performance. Ordering was an absolute pleasure and, well, for a sought-after blade with the rep of being one of the best performers one could possibly want, the simple fact that you can get one within 3 days for list price borders on shocking.

Nice one mate - thin that baby out a little (make sure to leave the hips on the bevel) and you've got yourself a winner.

Nice one mate - thin that baby out a little (make sure to leave the hips on the bevel) and you've got yourself a winner.

Yup - I'll use it once OOTB (I always do this if possible), then settle in for some work. I'll correct the grind if needed, re-edge if needed (I assume it will be), thin a little, and round the spine and choil a tiny bit.

Looks good, no grind marks into the Ku

Yeah, all of that stuff is beautiful. I feel pretty lucky - the ku is clean and consistent, there are no hammer marks in the center of the blade road, there are no visible grind issues. The handle... probably doesn't make any difference at all in use. I'll need to get it into food and onto the stones to really learn everything there is to learn.

Yeah, all of that stuff is beautiful. I feel pretty lucky - the ku is clean and consistent, there are no hammer marks in the center of the blade road, there are no visible grind issues. The handle... probably doesn't make any difference at all in use. I'll need to get it into food and onto the stones to really learn everything there is to learn.
If I kept my 240 I was going to throw a heavy ebony handle on it to fix the balance point. Doing that on another knife currently. Congrats!

IMG_0920.jpeg

Its been a busy week or two of knife buying. This is a Konosuke FM 240 White #1 with ebony handle from Tosho. Balance point is perfect moves nicely through produce. It feels much smaller than my other 240's and I've fallen for larger 240's and 270's so we'll see if it stays.

I'll post all of the recent acquisitions later.

View attachment 117841

View attachment 117845

View attachment 117842 View attachment 117843 View attachment 117844

First observations...

TF wonkiness section:

Is that a plastic ferrule? 🥰🥰🥰

Looks sweet. Where did ya get this one?

I bought it from someone local, the knife is from 2016batch sharpened by Morihiro

I love the look, but looks like a very short heel height, just as with the Choyo's this would be a deal breaker for me.
Do you have a measurement of the heel height?

Edge Length is 226mm
Height is 47mm

A new addition to the family, Yoshikane 240mm W2 gyuto. I took it for a spin for the first time yesterday, it actually surpassed my expectations. I have been putting off adding a 240, because my old one (Misono) never felt right. I thought it was the size, guess I was wrong... I'll be going to this guy frequently I know.
yosh.jpg

yoshchoil.jpg

Back