Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent purchases, time to take them in to see what’s up.
300 mm Toyama yanagiba (above average Toy f&f, 222 grams and nice height)
240 mm Toyama SS gyuto (I broke down since my iron clad is shrinking)
240 Itsuo Doi (talk about slam pigs 🐷 , 277 grams of yams 🍠)
270 mm Shig kitaeji yanagiba (bought here from @Currantly, silky smooth transaction, feels a little like a fugu :) )View attachment 121944View attachment 121941View attachment 121942View attachment 121943
Is that the ckc doi? I’d be interested to hear your assessment after you use it a little.

Had gotten quite lucky when this was available from an online vendor then I got unlucky when I copped custom duties which costed me 25% of the retail item...

I didn't think I'd ever pull the trigger on an expensive knife like this but there is some sort of allure that made me want to try out a Kiyoshi Kato where I was willing to cop a loss to see what the fuss was all about it but I don't think I will be testing it out anymore..considering how much it has costed me in total :(

chrome_2021-04-09_12-12-18.png

_DSC5561.jpg

@drsmp Looking good in its new neighborhood!
Brian definitely earned some extra knife karma bonus points on this one. I tip my hat to that gentleman

Had gotten quite lucky when this was available from an online vendor then I got unlucky when I copped custom duties which costed me 25% of the retail item...

I didn't think I'd ever pull the trigger on an expensive knife like this but there is some sort of allure that made me want to try out a Kiyoshi Kato where I was willing to cop a loss to see what the fuss was all about it but I don't think I will be testing it out anymore..considering how much it has costed me in total :(

View attachment 121957

View attachment 121958
Oh Damn 25% custom duty...😱😱

Speaking of denka..
A6950264-BFD5-4D59-A345-E3D17196B4BB.jpeg

210 wa handle gyuto - after years of deliberation. I mostly blame the wabi sabi thread for pushing me over the edge, and a big wood grain box of wabi sabi is what I got. It now sits at the top.

This thing cuts f***ing incredible!!

Last edited:
Speaking of denka.. View attachment 122167

210 wa handle gyuto - after years of deliberation. I mostly blame the wabi sabi thread for pushing me over the edge, and a big wood grain box of wabi sabi is what I got. It now sits at the top.

A Denka to rule them all.......so much wabi sabi, so little time.

Reactions: Pie
@Pie whats up with that funky bunky

sakai Takayuki tall bunka - togashi’s rendition of something like the tinker tank I suppose. Def out of the usual wheelhouse but I like it for the extra extra heft and relative thinness up the bevel. One hell of an ootb edge too.

That denka is just bursting with wabi sabi tho 🤤. Gonna be some time before I gather the nerve to start “fixing” it.

Last edited:
This isn't a knifebuy from me. I am a bit speechless because I got this as a gift from my friend @Carl Kotte 🙏. And the knife leaves me a bit speechless too.

F.Dick aka Dicktato, made around 1920s, steel unknown, heattreated and bringed back to life by @Carl Kotte and @Isasmedjan. Height 57mm, lenght 275mm, weight 511gr, hrc 60-62

IMG_20210409_152505~2.jpg

IMG_20210409_173814~2.jpg

Speaking of denka.. View attachment 122167

I love the smell of wabi-sabi in the morning.

That stale cigarette smell, ahhhh smells like... victory.

Reactions: Pie
Just picked up my Mizuno KS style 240mm honyaki gyuto after a custom handle job. It's much more KS style in shape and proportions now. Narrowed the machi a lot and added a lefty choil grind/polish as well as a slight regrind of the kissaki to bring it slightly more narrow. The spine has been rounded. The fit-up for the machi to the handle was trued up better. I can't wait to start using this knife.

_MG_4483.jpeg

Back