Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isasmedjan, gyuto, vintage Böhler TWR steel core, wrought iron clad, masur birch. Awesomeness.
5823B02C-9CAC-4C64-95B1-35D807C776C3.jpeg

I had a lot of knives come in over the past few weeks… let’s start with
Tsukasa Hinoura "Ryusui Tobi-Mon" 「流水飛紋」 a.k.a. “River Jump” or “half twist” 🔪

5C6E74EB-6E48-4318-9E8C-3920F0B5304D.jpeg
AF39C5AF-02F6-4FAF-A753-57D0C9FE70CF.jpeg
6D60610D-5827-4FD1-BCBA-5B2750687081.jpeg
621A32A8-4756-49E2-B0BF-BBBB34FFBFCF.jpeg
176F8741-F0AC-46F7-9BC4-F74004F3E24A.jpeg

Got this gem from @knifewear years ago, and I recently had it cleaned up by @forty.knives before a new saya/handle. The handle is ancient bog oak and marble horn, and saya sugi with a light touch of the shou sugi ban technique… both are by both by @common_trade and really nicely done! He even recreated the semi-octagonal (heart shaped) handle for which many Hinoura knives are known. 🙏

Quick post of some other new arrivals from another shipment (not all are technically “new” but have had spa treatments)
4267C846-62E0-4C0E-86FD-6C8DAB5D2DB7.jpeg

240mm Yoshikazu Ikeda Honyaki gyuto with Fujiyama hamon

270mm mizuno tanrenjo fugubiki (left hand)

270mm mazaki ginsan yanagi (left hand, i only slipped the handle on quickly for a picture, it’s on properly now)

330mm watanabe Honyaki kensaki yanagi (left hand)

360mm misono gyuto (left hand)

180mm kochi carbon nakiri from JKI

Quick post of some other new arrivals from another shipment (not all are technically “new” but have had spa treatments)
View attachment 122624

270mm mazaki ginsan yanagi (left hand, i only slipped the handle on quickly for a picture, it’s on properly now)

can we see another picture of the Ikeda?
It’s raining Honyaki’s!

View attachment 122624

Jealousy is a powerful emotion

Y'all. Y'ALL.

280mm of 1.2562 from Marius Smide, clad in Damascus of 15N20 and Swedish wrought iron. Features Marius's famous S-grind, which looks super cool with the patterned cladding, and a smooth taper from an 8mm neck down to a wispy thin tip. 279gm, 58mm at the heel. I can't stop staring 😍

What a beauty. Recently got mine, and I'm a bit blown away. How you enjoying yours?

About time I share my Marius Smide. Go-mai gyuto with 1.2562 core, 231*55 at 228 g. This is a knife that doesn't "translate" well into pictures. The layers, and the grind, make for an interesting clad that pops. With a bit of patina on it, there's so much going on. I was excited to get one at this length, but now I'm eyeing the big boys as well...

Last edited:
Hey folks it's not a dammy or fujiyama but this unassuming blade is a OUL branded Y. Tanaka 240 in shirogami 1 and stainless clad by from Miura knives sharpened by Maruyama. It's wide bevel-ish but at 2.1mm it's pretty skinny.

The power of persuasion @shinyunggyun @Jason183. Will be interesting to compare with Fujiyama W1 and Togashi SS W1. Japan to Seattle in 3 days.

~51mm tall
~230mm short
176g
2.7mm over the heel, 2.1mid

OUL-tanaka-IMG_1084.png
OUL-tanaka-IMG_1086.jpg

Nordquist designs custom S-grind gyuto. This one is 1084 @62hrc with a cocobolo handle with carbon steel insert. I worked on the profile amd asked for this as thin as possible. He even engraved my logo. I am really impressed, this tip is the thinnest of all my knives and ghosted through onions. Best performing s-grind I have owned.
IMG_20210414_165442_172.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_165442_200.jpg
    IMG_20210414_165442_200.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210414_165442_240.jpg
    IMG_20210414_165442_240.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 22
Honyaki are on a roll. Keep them coming

Just got the word that my custom lefty Yoshikazu Ikeda W#1 300mm Honyaki Yanagiba just got finished a bit ahead of schedule. Tomohito Iida should get it early next week, place an ebony handle on it and send it off to me. This was pretty fast for a lefty order placed the end of January. I'd read of turn around times for these being 8-9 months.

I'll share photos when it gets here. But it too will likely get a custom (wa) handle from the same maker I've been using recently.

20210415_161719.jpg
20210415_161744.jpg
20210415_161810.jpg

Bought some of the most known/biggest Finnish puukko style knife makers fish filetting knives, each made in Finland. Nothing too fancy, but they are quite fine and functional IMO. I was looking into some Finnish custom puukko makers too, but in the end I simply wanted these to experience what they are each about.

The longest one is a 22cm made by Wood Jewel in Kolari, Lapland of Finland. Curly birch and reindeer antler with brass/new silver bolster. Steel is from Germany, X50CrMoV15 HRC 57,5-58 according to the Finnish metal firm, Laurin Metalli, from which I queried the info. As a side note, I noticed that many of the puukko makers are using Lauris blades and they can indeed be bought separately and so on too.

I was surprised actually how fine this knife is. Looks and feels great, the blade itself is rather simple brushed finish, a bit of bend but clearly not too much, feels good, heel height 25mm at the very thickest spot.

The second one is a 19cm J Marttiini "Kojamo" fillet with heat treated birch and bronze salmon bolsters. Marttiini is probably the most familiar maker to people here. The company is nowadays owned by Rapala, who claims that the Marttiini fileting knives are the worlds most sold filetting knives.

Marttiini has fillets made from different steels, this one is actually unknown to me, but it could be ~ 53-55 HRC, like their classic model,or then a 57-58 like in some others. The reason I picked the Kojamo is that its made in Finland and I didnt fancy some of the other made in Finland fillets they had as much. Their most sold one, the classic, for instance is nowadays made in cooperation with their factory in Estonia. This knife itself has a beautiful mirror polish and came in a very nice wooden gift box. One salmon fileted, no complaints. Good stiffness for my tastes, not very bendy.

The smallest is a 16cm Iisakki Järvenpää.
X55CrMo14, 57-58 HRC, checked with the manufacturer. Again very nice looking knife IMO. One rainbow trout done. This one has a quite bendy blade and seemed I prefer the less bendy Marttiini, but this knife is designed with the smaller fish in mind, waiting to go catch s perch in the summer. Also I find rainbow trout is always less pleasant to fillet than salmon, for which I used the Marttiini :p.

Iisakki came with a postcard hand signed by, I believe, each of their workers in Kauhava :). All in all very happy with each. They all trap a bit of water in the bolster, but the blades are stainless and I suppose one could seal them at will rather easily. Oh and all came with a nice leather sheath.

View attachment 122882View attachment 122883View attachment 122884

Bought some of the most known/biggest Finnish puukko style knife makers fish filetting knives, each made in Finland. Nothing too fancy, but they are quite fine and functional IMO. I was looking into some Finnish custom puukko makers too, but in the end I simply wanted these to experience what they are each about.

The longest one is a 22cm made by Wood Jewel in Kolari, Lapland of Finland. Curly birch and reindeer antler with brass/new silver bolster. Steel is from Germany, X50CrMoV15 HRC 57,5-58 according to the Finnish metal firm, Laurin Metalli, from which I queried the info. As a side note, I noticed that many of the puukko makers are using Lauris blades and they can indeed be bought separately and so on too.

I was surprised actually how fine this knife is. Looks and feels great, the blade itself is rather simple brushed finish, a bit of bend but clearly not too much, feels good, heel height 25mm at the very thickest spot.

The second one is a 19cm J Marttiini "Kojamo" fillet with heat treated birch and bronze salmon bolsters. Marttiini is probably the most familiar maker to people here. The company is nowadays owned by Rapala, who claims that the Marttiini fileting knives are the worlds most sold filetting knives.

Marttiini has fillets made from different steels, this one is actually unknown to me, but it could be ~ 53-55 HRC, like their classic model,or then a 57-58 like in some others. The reason I picked the Kojamo is that its made in Finland and I didnt fancy some of the other made in Finland fillets they had as much. Their most sold one, the classic, for instance is nowadays made in cooperation with their factory in Estonia. This knife itself has a beautiful mirror polish and came in a very nice wooden gift box. One salmon fileted, no complaints. Good stiffness for my tastes, not very bendy.

The smallest is a 16cm Iisakki Järvenpää.
X55CrMo14, 57-58 HRC, checked with the manufacturer. Again very nice looking knife IMO. One rainbow trout done. This one has a quite bendy blade and seemed I prefer the less bendy Marttiini, but this knife is designed with the smaller fish in mind, waiting to go catch s perch in the summer. Also I find rainbow trout is always less pleasant to fillet than salmon, for which I used the Marttiini :p.

Iisakki came with a postcard hand signed by, I believe, each of their workers in Kauhava :). All in all very happy with each. They all trap a bit of water in the bolster, but the blades are stainless and I suppose one could seal them at will rather easily. Oh and all came with a nice leather sheath.
Very nice set there 🥳

Very nice set there 🥳

Thanks, they are fine :). Since I got my deba in december I've been using that for the bigger fish and mostly my a bit of a pig santoku for the smaller ones. Done a lot of fish lately haha. The deba is nice too, but I have to say its satisfying also to filet with a proper western filet.

Back