Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M Tanaka Yoshikazu Gyuto 270mm Blue 1 Dama had a wee pal visit today, they seem to get along...

5F750E79-A35C-420B-9FD2-521EB83C6BC6.jpeg
70A1F61D-600E-410C-AA66-94B99825A6EA.jpeg
E7A3F295-4C12-4C47-BB68-6CE580D8BD61.jpeg
E7A3F295-4C12-4C47-BB68-6CE580D8BD61.jpeg
3443A68D-9CE7-4BE4-AD87-78C1367953FB.jpeg

Ikazuchi 240mm stainless clad with Aogami super core steel from Japanese knife import.
FB6FAE69-2261-4C64-9EB3-3799E02D8657.jpeg
63828AC6-527D-4E3B-B96C-582AC9BA67E4.jpeg
65E1DD8C-91AB-4A7E-9E5D-CD0B46296DF5.jpeg

The fit and finish was flawless on this one, I requested for rounded spine/choil from Jon, as well a more water resistance handle, he later recommended a “burnt Ho wood” without removing the original Buffalo horn ferrule, I thought that’s pretty cool, and the end results turned out to be great, the knife overall feels very comfortable and smooth to hold, big thumbs up to Jon for another great customer service he provides.
55522058-9FD8-44D8-BD8C-00EA57298786.jpeg
6CFB6D2C-7743-4E56-9036-6E8A412398DC.jpeg
35C53651-D94B-4BA2-9CC4-B466D9F200D8.jpeg

The blade features full convex grind, weights at 161 grams, 2mm spine and 48mm height, the grind was pretty similar to the Hd2 I had except more thinner behind the edge than Hd2. The point of balance surprised me on this one, quite forward heavy for a thin knife, it does have more robust cutting feel compared to other thin knives I’ve tried.
C375A695-FF06-48E9-BC24-43E78ECCD758.jpeg
5E9B59CC-6453-451C-B2C2-36039B6AAD71.jpeg

Ikazuchi 240mm stainless clad with Aogami super core steel from Japanese knife import.
View attachment 125812View attachment 125813View attachment 125815
The fit and finish was flawless on this one, I requested for rounded spine/choil from Jon, as well a more water resistance handle, he later recommended a “burnt Ho wood” without removing the original Buffalo horn ferrule, I thought that’s pretty cool, and the end results turned out to be great, the knife overall feels very comfortable and smooth to hold, big thumbs up to Jon for another great customer service he provides.
View attachment 125819View attachment 125820View attachment 125821
The blade features full convex grind, weights at 161 grams, 2mm spine and 48mm height, the grind was pretty similar to the Hd2 I had except more thinner behind the edge than Hd2. The point of balance surprised me on this one, quite forward heavy for a thin knife, it does have more robust cutting feel compared to other thin knives I’ve tried.
View attachment 125822View attachment 125824
Did he do the burnt handle for you, or was it DIY?

Yu Kurosaki Ao 2 rainbow Damascus 210 Gyuto.

It’s hard to get a good photo of this with the mirror polish, but here it is.

This knife is from the prototype batch that Kurosaki San made to test out this line. I was informed that he will make others in VG10 rainbow, but this is the only batch of Ao2.

For a little background -
I periodically make handles for him and purchase his knives. We exchange simple correspondence, but I don’t speak/read Japanese and the same with him and English, so some things get lost in translation.

When I saw these, I reached out to him to let him know how much I loved them and I was able to get this Gyuto.

This is a knife that I will appreciate for both the quality and spirit.

View attachment 105994View attachment 105995View attachment 105996

Hi...I can deduce what looks like Copper, Brass/Bronze and Nickel, would you know what metals he used in forging this lovely knife...curious as to the greenish tinge apparent unless a product of your light whilst taking the images. Ta

HSCIII Z-wear 42*215 petty with beautiful ironwood handle from Harbeer.

I couldn't be happier how it turned out. I looked over a year for longer petty/slicer type profile in ss/semistainless and couldn't find "off the self" one so decided to go for custom. I wanted a maker who had more experience with stainless without braking my bank. I had narrowed my steel choices for Aeb-l and Z-wear and decided to go for z-wear after the Eu-passaround. The retention was there(which I normally don't pay attention) and with my current skillset I couldn't get it as sharp as I would have wanted to, it was easy choice in terms of sharpening practise too😁.

IMG_20210505_175344.jpg

HSCIII Z-wear 42*215 petty with beautiful ironwood handle from Harbeer.

I couldn't be happier how it turned out. I looked over a year for longer petty/slicer type profile in ss/semistainless and couldn't find "off the self" one so decided to go for custom. I wanted a maker who had more experience with stainless without braking my bank. I had narrowed my steel choices for Aeb-l and Z-wear and decided to go for z-wear after the Eu-passaround. The retention was there(which I normally don't pay attention) and with my current skillset I couldn't get it as sharp as I would have wanted to, it was easy choice in terms of sharpening practise too😁.

View attachment 125916

Gorgeous! Congratulations.

Had to take advantage of the Strata moving sale and pick up another Tanaka. I picked up a K&S Ao2 as my first "real" knife and couldn't have been more pleased with it. That knife was given away to a good friend and I was left Tanaka-less except for a 150mm damascus Ao2 petty. To say I am pleased about the performance and aesthetics of this knife would be an understatement. This is probably the best knife I have on my wall right now and the Mazaki and Markin can have a bit of a vacation for the near future. Don't hate me Andrey, your knife is still my main ***** but the lust is strong with this one.

20210506_235643.jpg

This guy showed up today, Hitohira Tanaka x Kyuzo. Scary sharp OOTB. Possibly thinking of replacing the yakusugi handle, maybe with something from KNS, balance is pretty far forward since the handle is so light.

View attachment 126005

Ooo you the guy that had a faster finger than me on this knife from strata :) Its beautiful.

I ended up purchasing the 240 Ku version and a wide bevel kikkumori damascus.

Was mulling the 270, but that length always felt a little too big for my liking.

I am curious why the ku version is slightly thicker then the migaki. Does kyuzo take the same forged blade from tanaka and just grind it less thin? Or does the Ku coating add to the thickness of the spine.

I got this from Strata Portland but it was the last in stock..it's a Hitohira, they sell direct on their website, and they have plenty of international dealers who sell them. I think protooling in Australia has some.

Ooo you the guy that had a faster finger than me on this knife from strata :) Its beautiful.

Was mulling the 270, but that length always felt a little too big for my liking.

I am curious why the ku version is slightly thicker then the migaki. Does kyuzo take the same forged blade from tanaka and just grind it less thin? Or does the Ku coating add to the thickness of the spine.
I'm not sure. I wouldn't be too reliant on the numbers, mine was quote at 155g and it's 170g. Since they are all handmade they will have some variance in them

Had to take advantage of the Strata moving sale and pick up another Tanaka. I picked up a K&S Ao2 as my first "real" knife and couldn't have been more pleased with it. That knife was given away to a good friend and I was left Tanaka-less except for a 150mm damascus Ao2 petty. To say I am pleased about the performance and aesthetics of this knife would be an understatement. This is probably the best knife I have on my wall right now and the Mazaki and Markin can have a bit of a vacation for the near future. Don't hate me Andrey, your knife is still my main ***** but the lust is strong with this one.

View attachment 126031
Congrats! I was looking at that same knife, but you beat me to it!!!!

Generally speaking, KU knives are "unfinished" above the bevels/shinogi. Migaki and other non kuruouchi finishes have seen some abrasion to remove the black layer.

A new "Chinese-American" slicing cleaver in the house...

Blade is 52100, 203mm x 95mm (8" x 3.75"), 297 grams, with integral bolster, forced patina (vinegar)
Handle and saya pen - stabilized Bog Oak
Saya - Rainbow Poplar

This was a custom order from Steve Grosvenor (Red Rock Tools in South Dakota) that arrived today. A Tall Gyuto that I have from Steve inspired me to request a Chinese cleaver from him, also. Steve is great to work with and produced exactly what I asked for. It's based on my CCK, but with some very *special* upgrades! The balance point is right at the pinch grip.

tempImage83Gi0u.png

tempImageNgGgbA.png

tempImageMo9YM9.png

I used it to make a mushroom soup tonight. Onions and celery are a fine dice and mushrooms are thinly sliced. As you can see, this knife had no problem with either of the cuts, and it is VERY comfortable in the hand.

tempImageEIq12J.jpg

1620442426449.gif
1620442426449.gif
1620442426449.gif
1620442426449.gif
1620442426449.gif
1620442426449.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back