Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BillHanna , he did pretty well. We were cutting a bunch of small strawberries, so it was hard for him to get at the berries and still tuck his thumb. Grip wasn’t bad, gravitated toward a hammer type grip, but got more comfortable as he went. I was proud of him when he came back after getting cut to help finish prepping the cobbler that we were making.

Strawberries is one of the few things I actually cut in-hand and with a paring knife... cutting them on a board seems mighty awkward to me.

Received a new Heiji SS and a Yoshikane SLD today. Heiji grind is definitely WH. Yoshikane grind is just the Yoshi type of nice and thin and good distal taper. BTW, the KKF member discount at Epic Edge is now 5% instead of 10% if anyone isn't aware.

Heiji Dimensions:
250 mm*52 mm
249 gram
Spine thickness 4.5 mm -> 2.9 mm-> 1.6 mm (at handle -> middle -> 1 cm from the tip)

Yoshi:
252 mm*52 mm
202 gram
Spine 4.4 mm -> 1.8 mm -> 0.8 mm

82D96668-3AC5-4978-B925-A8E95E776712.jpeg

Heiji
375B8CC4-FB05-4B92-A9E3-47D3989691C6.jpeg

Yoshikane
8609063E-1150-45CC-9223-2E5E1FECF872.jpeg

Last edited:
Hunter Valley Blades 52100 KU Monosteel by Mert Tansu
258x60 mm
328 g
5-6 mm at handle and above the heel, 2.9 mm at the midpoint, 0.8 mm 1 cm before the tip.

Bought this a few weeks ago, but forgot to post it. @xxxclx , my monstrosity also weighs in at 328 grams 😅
IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg

My workhorsiest workhorse to date. With generous heel height, it has a wide bevel grind with high shoulders and a gentle convex on both sides with a slight righty bias. There’s an expertly done continuous distal taper from about 5-6 mm out of the handle to a whisper thin tip, but with no flex to the spine.

Took me a few days to get used to it because it’s a bit longer than my normal 240 mm range, but after that, the HVB feels very natural in hand. Absolutely plows through soft product with its weight. The tip flies through onions and the front half is a silent carrot killer. It’s only when you get to super tall carrots, squash and sweet potatoes that you can feel the shoulders when cutting, but food separation is good enough that you slow down, but you don’t get stuck. The fine belt finish is a bit sticky at first, but after a patina sets in, the food release gets better.

The 52100 is heat treated to about 64 HRC and feels a bit glassy/smooth on the stones, but in a clean, crisp way as opposed to being gummy. After extended use, I would rate the edge retention as similar to Blue 2, but with more toughness. After a few days on the original 6000 grit edge, I sharpened it on a SP1k + Kitayama 8000. Aggressive bite, but with plenty of push-cutting refinement. Cut up a couple pounds of mirepoix and then diced up a couple boxes of squishy cherry tomatoes for pasta sauce without trouble. The steel has very low reactivity and is even lower maintenance after the patina stabilizes.

The profile flows very nicely with a flat back third followed by a slow curve until the belly really kicks in up towards the tip. Excellent push/pull cutter that rock chops smoothly. The handle is a single piece of D shaped bocote. Very comfortable and on the long side, I think to balance out what would otherwise be a very blade heavy knife. The extra handle length and drastic distal taper brings the balance back to the “B” of the HVB logo. The spine and choil are almost aggressively rounded and exceedingly comfortable.

Overall, the HVB is a surprisingly nimble workhorse, feeling much lighter than its substantial 328 grams. It has a thick heel with distal taper reminiscent of an old school Sabatier and like a Sabatier, you can use it to break down a butternut squash, brunoise a shallot and then abuse it a hundred other ways and it can take the hits and keep on ticking. Clearly made for high volume prep work, I just wish I had more produce available to cut up.

Hunter Valley Blades 52100 KU Monosteel by Mert Tansu
258x60 mm
328 g
5-6 mm at handle and above the heel, 2.9 mm at the midpoint, 0.8 mm 1 cm before the tip.

Bought this a few weeks ago, but forgot to post it. @xxxclx , my monstrosity also weighs in at 328 grams 😅
View attachment 130716
View attachment 130717
View attachment 130715

View attachment 130719
View attachment 130720

View attachment 130718
View attachment 130721

My workhorsiest workhorse to date. With generous heel height, it has a wide bevel grind with high shoulders and a gentle convex on both sides with a slight righty bias. There’s an expertly done continuous distal taper from about 5-6 mm out of the handle to a whisper thin tip, but with no flex to the spine.

Took me a few days to get used to it because it’s a bit longer than my normal 240 mm range, but after that, the HVB feels very natural in hand. Absolutely plows through soft product with its weight. The tip flies through onions and the front half is a silent carrot killer. It’s only when you get to super tall carrots, squash and sweet potatoes that you can feel the shoulders when cutting, but food separation is good enough that you slow down, but you don’t get stuck. The fine belt finish is a bit sticky at first, but after a patina sets in, the food release gets better.

The 52100 is heat treated to about 64 HRC and feels a bit glassy/smooth on the stones, but in a clean, crisp way as opposed to being gummy. After extended use, I would rate the edge retention as similar to Blue 2, but with more toughness. After a few days on the original 6000 grit edge, I sharpened it on a SP1k + Kitayama 8000. Aggressive bite, but with plenty of push-cutting refinement. Cut up a couple pounds of mirepoix and then diced up a couple boxes of squishy cherry tomatoes for pasta sauce without trouble. The steel has very low reactivity and is even lower maintenance after the patina stabilizes.

The profile flows very nicely with a flat back third followed by a slow curve until the belly really kicks in up towards the tip. Excellent push/pull cutter that rock chops smoothly. The handle is a single piece of D shaped bocote. Very comfortable and on the long side, I think to balance out what would otherwise be a very blade heavy knife. The extra handle length and drastic distal taper brings the balance back to the “B” of the HVB logo. The spine and choil are almost aggressively rounded and exceedingly comfortable.

Overall, the HVB is a surprisingly nimble workhorse, feeling much lighter than its substantial 328 grams. It has a thick heel with distal taper reminiscent of an old school Sabatier and like a Sabatier, you can use it to break down a butternut squash, brunoise a shallot and then abuse it a hundred other ways and it can take the hits and keep on ticking. Clearly made for high volume prep work, I just wish I had more produce available to cut up.

Nice write up, I’m a huge fan of Mert’s work. I have an integral in 52100 en route.

Nice write up, I’m a huge fan of Mert’s work. I have an integral in 52100 en route.
Thanks, I remember he auctioned off an integral on his IG a few weeks ago that was sooooo nice and if I hadn’t just bought this one, I would’ve sprung for a couple hundred more to place a bid on it. I might have to get a western style rehandle on my HVB in the same style of his Mert’s western handles, they’re so pretty.

New Mert Tansu blade arrived! I messaged him to say that it feels like the blade has some kind of non stick coating on it. Water beads up on it and food just slips away. I'm not used to that but enjoying it so far.

Spicy White steel
Honduran Rosewood Burl/brass/African blackwood handle
Honduran Rosewood Burl saya friction fit

IMG_1566.jpeg
IMG_1568.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg

Received a new Heiji SS and a Yoshikane SLD today. Heiji grind is definitely WH. Yoshikane grind is just the Yoshi type of nice and thin and good distal taper. BTW, the KKF member discount at Epic Edge is now 5% instead of 10% if anyone isn't aware.

Heiji Dimensions:
250 mm*52 mm
249 gram
Spine thickness 4.5 mm -> 2.9 mm-> 1.6 mm (at handle -> middle -> 1 cm from the tip)

Yoshi:
252 mm*52 mm
202 gram
Spine 4.4 mm -> 1.8 mm -> 0.8 mm

View attachment 130674

Heiji
View attachment 130675

Yoshikane
View attachment 130676
Great knives. Were they sold as 240's or 270's?

Finally picked up a Kurosaki with a Western handle. Having used it for 5 or 6 meal preps, it's a solid performer, feeling light and capable for it's size.

SG2 Western Gyuto

SG2, Irownwood
194g
Blade Length 216 mm
Total Length 346 mm
Blade Height 49.6 mm
PXL_20210616_231441676.jpg
PXL_20210616_232801403.jpg
PXL_20210616_232648005.jpg
PXL_20210616_232442706.jpg
PXL_20210616_232050179.jpg

Last edited:
Migoto Cutlery Ginsan 240mm Gyuto

Height at heel - 53mm
Length heel to tip - 236mm
Weight - 196g

IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1796.jpeg

I got this a couple weeks ago and I'm been really impressed with my limited use of it so far. Lee at Migoto was an absolute pleasure and was incredibly helpful answering all of my questions when I was getting it. He has a great selection and I'm sure I'll be picking up another from him soon.

got new Takada,

240mm Gyuto Reika White 2

wZLftwa.jpeg

IFKrtaa.jpeg

and Munetoshi Butcher from BST:

SdvK3Cm.jpeg

with the signature heel chop..
zqHJ2Vh.jpeg

I was considering the 240 Reika. How is it, and have you tried any other knives ground by Takada or Yohei?

I was considering the 240 Reika. How is it, and have you tried any other knives ground by Takada or Yohei?
Yeah this is my second Takada and I still have others OTW. Not too thin overall on the spine but thin enough to call semi-laser. I like the profile so much, similar with my Hinode profile wise. My other Takada was thicker on spine but shorter height almost GyutoHiki profile but very agile.

Yeah this is my second Takada and I still have others OTW. Not too thin overall on the spine but thin enough to call semi-laser. I like the profile so much, similar with my Hinode profile wise. My other Takada was thicker on spine but shorter height almost GyutoHiki profile but very agile.

was your other takada the suiboku or HH or something else?

Latest posts

Back