Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zero Tolerance Master Cutlery Tac-Force Spring Assisted Folding Knife
1630412531272.png

Reactions: Kgp
Anyone know what type of knife construction(San mai or warikomi) for the Miura Itadaki Tanaka-Hairline finish? The KU ones are Warikomi, but haven’t find any info on the hairline finish.

It's common for makers and retailers to use San mai and warikomi interchangeably. You'll need to ask them to be sure.

Thank you for your explanation. p
Actually, some of my statements are misleading and I should correct. I don't know how it is with knives that he makes for wholesalers, but all knives made under the "Tadokoro hamono" brand were hand forged. Previously, he used mostly the steel of Satoshi Nakagawa but also some of Yoshikazu Tanaka and a young blacksmith in the Tosa region. It seems like he works only with Mr. Nakagawa now, but I'm not 100% sure so maybe it is better to check in a concrete case.

Actually, some of my statements are misleading and I should correct. I don't know how it is with knives that he makes for wholesalers, but all knives made under the "Tadokoro hamono" brand were hand forged. Previously, he used mostly the steel of Satoshi Nakagawa but also some of Yoshikazu Tanaka and a young blacksmith in the Tosa region. It seems like he works only with Mr. Nakagawa now, but I'm not 100% sure so maybe it is better to check in a concrete case.
Thank you!

Do you think is okay to ask directly?

Thank you!

Do you think is okay to ask directly?
Yes, asking should be no problem at all - they're happy that people from all over the world are interested in the knives! If you have a special request, they might be happy to do that if possible. If somebody is hesitant or the answer is unclear, it is usually a sign that they cannot or do not want to answer the question so trying to extract more information can be rude, but asking normally is totally okay.

Last edited:
I also jumped in the Miura Itadaki Tanaka pool! This is a 240mm in white #2.

View attachment 140179

View attachment 140180

Pretty insane value, and duty cost less than expected. Very excited to put an edge on this one and try it out!
Psyched to hear your thoughts since I lead 3 people down this rabbit hole based solely on my 150 petty from this series & the fact that this price was a steal.

Psyched to hear your thoughts since I lead 3 people down this rabbit hole based solely on my 150 petty from this series & the fact that this price was a steal.

Of course! thanks for linking the knife, it's very much my style in terms of grind, weight, profile, and steel. The sharpening feel is quite similar to my white #1 FM Fujiyama, perhaps unsurprisingly. My initial impressions of the performance are that it's pretty good and has solid "overall geometry" so to speak. Unfortunately, the tip area is kinda funky, both in terms of a slight discontinuity in its profile and being ground thick. The mid-blade and heel are stellar though. Overall I'm quite impressed, and I definitely recognize that it has even greater potential, if I put some work into it (that's what we all tell ourselves haha)

Ever since I got my BB/Dalman Collab Gen 1 I was interested in one from Birgersson.
Warikomi Western with black Micarta scales
246x58mm
links 1.jpg

rechts 1.jpg

Spine 1.jpg Choil.jpg

It feels great in hand and well balanced. As you can see it's concave towards the edge and rather thin but still sturdy enough. Great cutting feeling with nice food release. Only flaw is like 4,5cm in front of heel where it hits the board a tiny bit harder than needed.

Ever since I got my BB/Dalman Collab Gen 1 I was interested in one from Birgersson.
246x58mm
View attachment 140837
View attachment 140836
View attachment 140838 View attachment 140839

It feels great in hand and well balanced. As you can see it's concave towards the edge and rather thin but still sturdy enough. Great cutting feeling with nice food release. Only flaw is like 4,5cm in front of heel where it hits the board a tiny bit harder than needed.
I had a chance to try Jay‘s knife recently and it was drop-dead gorgeous! So was his BB/Dalman collab…

246x58mm
View attachment 140837
View attachment 140836
View attachment 140838 View attachment 140839

Video time? Video time.

I was fast enough to grab one of these. Missed out on the Blue 1 dama drop from tosho, but I don't have any white 1 currently and I did love it on my Muteki I used to have. Probably going to be replacing the burnt chestnut on it. Anyone else quick enough to grab one?
View attachment 140907
Please sell the burnt chestnut handle to me. Thanks

Watanabe Blue 2 Ironclad 240 mm gyuto
244x54 mm
252 grams
4.5 mm out of the handle, 4 mm at the heel, then 3.5 mm most of the way down until the tip.

After missing out a few times, I finally got ahold of an old school ironclad Watanabe circa 2011, courtesy of @Josh off BST.
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

Image_4.jpeg

Compared to my stainless clad Wat and ironclad Toyama, this Wat has the least taper and thickest grind, which is to be expected considering the weight. The grind is like my ironclad Toyama, right biased asymmetric that really kicks in close to the edge, but thicker the whole way through. The octagonal handle is comfy and slightly larger than standard, so it balances the heavy blade well. I sharpened it up, cut one carrot and an onion, then spent half an afternoon thinning behind the edge and at the tip, stopping often to check my work and make sure I was following the original geometry.

I then resharpened and made some mirepoix and minced two dozen cloves of garlic on a plastic board with much more force than strictly necessary which is as good a test as I have available for edge retention. No visible micro chipping down the edge and it’s still slicing paper towel nicely, so the heat treat seems solid so far. I only removed 3 grams of metal, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but makes a world of difference on dense product as you can see from the before and after pictures below.
1630889200415.png

Image_6.jpeg

Image_7.jpeg

Image_8.jpeg

Anyways, the tip needs a little more work and maybe one more thinning session behind the edge before refinishing, but dang, she cuts so well 🥰

Last edited:
Y. Tanaka from Sakai Kikumori, 210 mm blue #1 damascus. Goes through carrots like it's nothing. A true laser.

Attachments

• 20210906_144428.jpg
    20210906_144428.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210906_144355.jpg
    20210906_144355.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210906_144459.jpg
    20210906_144459.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210906_143137.jpg
    20210906_143137.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210906_142606.jpg
    20210906_142606.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 48
Looks familiar @Jovidah. Usually parcels make it to the UK in a few days, but then the helpful parcelforce bstards invariably fail to deliver the customs charge letter ( 3 in a row without now), leaving your knives marooned at the local sorting office indefinitely. If it wasn’t for the helpful tracking services online you’d just be waiting. As it is you still have to spend half an hour queuing to speak to a human to get the necessary details to pay online, after which your parcel arrives efficiently the next day. To top it off they keep warning you not call if it’s not essential given current COVID limitations, while leaving you absolutely no alternative to the phone route.

Anyhow, here’s my belated contribution to the new Tanaka knife party. A couple of hasty shots of the Yohei I’ve been enjoying for a month or two. Just rushing them on now, as I have bought something else since too…
4AE0AB0B-8584-4B2F-AE4E-3CA5AA431DF9.jpeg

F147E129-A1DA-464F-B995-46F528CF598F.jpeg

Back