Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kamon joined the family

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_172741_616.jpg
    IMG_20210909_172741_616.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210909_172741_552.jpg
    IMG_20210909_172741_552.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20210909_172741_590.jpg
    IMG_20210909_172741_590.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
EABD29B7-06F1-4BA1-8B36-E2B4168050EE.jpeg

B4458046-462C-4B18-B5B2-15CBE2EE68D3.jpeg

Takeda 270 gyuto - impulse buy (again). I know thereā€™s not a lot of love for these around here, but going into it with prior experience with the grind and no unrealistic hopes and dreams = damn this thing is good. Itā€™s not as oversized/tall as some of the outliers, but doesnā€™t have to be.

Predictably bad at halving big carrots, dense product etc, but godly food release and top tier utility - board scraper, scoop, actually useful tip. Slicing product is a pleasure with the generous height, feels like you can almost process 2 heads of lettuce at once.

One negative I noticed was how sharp the choil is. I mean at this thickness Iā€™m not expecting sofa-comfort, but Ill round it out and see how it feels.

View attachment 141565
View attachment 141641
Takeda 270 gyuto - impulse buy (again). I know thereā€™s not a lot of love for these around here, but going into it with prior experience with the grind and no unrealistic hopes and dreams = damn this thing is good. Itā€™s not as oversized/tall as some of the outliers, but doesnā€™t have to be.

Predictably bad at halving big carrots, dense product etc, but godly food release and top tier utility - board scraper, scoop, actually useful tip. Slicing product is a pleasure with the generous height, feels like you can almost process 2 heads of lettuce at once.

One negative I noticed was how sharp the choil is. I mean at this thickness Iā€™m not expecting sofa-comfort, but Ill round it out and see how it feels.
AS or NAS? ā€¦

You wonā€™t find me throwing shade on Takedaā€™s. From my petty to my XXL cleaver, theyā€™re all killers on my board. Nothing demolishes a big cabbage for me like one of my Takedaā€™s.

View attachment 141565
View attachment 141641

I've also got one last week and feel same like you.

i expected to hate this knife but i kind of like it.

yes its wedge on carrots but nothing crazy, food realese is great and i like the height and the unique look.

after i sharpened it yesterday it cuts even better although sharpening itself wasn't pleasant at all.

Reactions: Pie
late to the game, but i jumped in the y tanaka pool. Itadaki series from miura. i probably would have preferred a 240mm, but 210mm is all that's left. this is going to be my first redundant knife. you guys are rubbing off on me.

View attachment 141565
View attachment 141641

got a takeda bunka and very fun knife to use. nice buy

AS or NAS? ā€¦

You wonā€™t find me throwing shade on Takedaā€™s. From my petty to my XXL cleaver, theyā€™re all killers on my board. Nothing demolishes a big cabbage for me like one of my Takedaā€™s.
NAS new batch. Iā€™ve heard tell the AS are less wedgy, or have less defined shoulders.

@daniel_il i know right? Thereā€™s just something about them. Did you do a full progression or just touch it up?

Had the suji out, hereā€™s the two of them. Suji has a good 10mm extra length, thicker than the gyuto.
800C4F4C-E669-402B-9175-9C20BB7AAF94.jpeg

Last edited:
NAS new batch. Iā€™ve heard tell the AS are less wedgy, or have less defined shoulders.

@daniel_il i know right? Thereā€™s just something about them. Did you do a full progression or just touch it up?

Had the suji out, hereā€™s the two of them. Suji has a good 10mm extra length, thicker than the gyuto. View attachment 141648

Yeah they wedge a bit but they have height, great food release and one of the coolest looks.

I did shapton pro 1k+ chosera 3k+Leather strop& diamond paste
Got a full burr and than mainly focused on edge leading strops. Itā€™s became very sharp and thooty. For me the angle was about 10 degree each side

Reactions: Pie
AS or NAS? ā€¦

The most frustrating knife in my collection is a Takeda gyuto. Cutting with it can be a blissful experience - the thought of demolishing a cabbage with it brings a smile to my face, all so effortless - a true laser dissection feel. But I can rarely get through a whole board of prep without that dreamy smile being jolted off my face by a sudden wedging in denser product. Itā€™s not even that terrible in the wedging stakes really, but it somehow ruins the airy, force-free nature of the experience - one second youā€˜re wafting through greens with the lightest of pinch grips, but then your enjoyment is sullied by the sudden, slightly random encounter with friction.

Keep thinking I should trade the thing on - itā€™s vastly underused - but itā€™s somehow wormed its way into my affection.

View attachment 141565
View attachment 141641

I love Takeda. The way that they balance food release and wedging I think is arguable some of the best. My two classics are thinner than my NAS. And the NAS large cleaver will probably be wedges with large dense product. But my small classic cleaver is quite good through dense product. The NAS probably after breaking it in and sharpening it after awhile I would suspect will get better with time. But lots of workhorse style knives are going to wedge in the monster carrots.

The most frustrating knife in my collection is a Takeda gyuto. Cutting with it can be a blissful experience - the thought of demolishing a cabbage with it brings a smile to my face, all so effortless - a true laser dissection feel. But I can rarely get through a whole board of prep without that dreamy smile being jolted off my face by a sudden wedging in denser product. Itā€™s not even that terrible in the wedging stakes really, but it somehow ruins the airy, force-free nature of the experience - one second youā€˜re wafting through greens with the lightest of pinch grips, but then your enjoyment is sullied by the sudden, slightly random encounter with friction.

Keep thinking I should trade the thing on - itā€™s vastly underused - but itā€™s somehow wormed its way into my affection.
Spot on (and as always eloquent) assessment of the Takeda experience. Out of curiosity I just touched up with one of his shobu nagura and wowww. A little scratchy but the tooth is amazing.

Got home from work today to find too parcels for me. Smedja Aspen 220 gyuto from a trade here on KKF
22593FD4-0E4D-402E-9B06-79BB0B6601C4.jpeg
51406F23-BA66-4373-ACF4-F55509DC6C50.jpeg
168ABC49-18E5-404A-8B59-16C03C68CF4C.jpeg

It was wrapped well from the previous owner (he sent pictures of it wrapped) but Aussie customs had inspected it and unwrapped it, repacking it loose in the box šŸ™„ damn lucky it had no damage done.

And a 240 Denka direct from TF, Gaku was straight up when I ordered one, said he didnā€™t think his current batch was perfect and asked if I was willing to wait a month for a good one that meet my specs. Worth waiting, no low spots other than one tiny one at the tip on the right side, 56mm height and gorgeous profile.
Probably my most anticipated and exciting knife to get, really stoked.

one big downside, didnā€™t get a box with that bad boys face on it šŸ˜©
728B34CC-D62E-441D-A427-14782DB7534E.jpeg
7B7FDF11-5419-4944-AD32-89F67DAF896C.jpeg
B91534D5-E5F9-4718-A2EC-4913D0494FA4.jpeg
16BBC925-211B-4C9B-902C-ECF6503E31BC.jpeg
36480CAF-9774-4DFC-AC7C-A4C5444D1EBE.jpeg

And a 240 Denka direct from TF, Gaku was straight up when I ordered one, said he didnā€™t think his current batch was perfect and asked if I was willing to wait a month for a good one that meet my specs. Worth waiting, no low spots other than one tiny one at the tip on the right side, 56mm height and gorgeous profile.
Probably my most anticipated and exciting knife to get, really stoked.

one big downside, didnā€™t get a box with that bad boys face on it šŸ˜©View attachment 141975View attachment 141976View attachment 141977View attachment 141978View attachment 141979
Looks great!
I got a 240 coming along next week too, canā€™t wait!

Two from Fredrik SpƄre... A bunka and cleaver... So pretty, can't wait to cut...

Saw those on Instagram - such nice knives. I'd get him to make me something but I keep impulse buying other things.

Last edited:
Back