Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have it for a around a year and only used it once. basically I'm not a fan on the 230*49 but the f&f and grind is outstanding

Out of interest, why not? Those Takayuki ginsans have always looked tempting to me, even more so after my first experience of Yamatsuka’s ginsan has been so promising.

Out of interest, why not? Those Takayuki ginsans have always looked tempting to me, even more so after my first experience of Yamatsuka’s ginsan has been so promising.
One of the best knives I’ve picked up.

have it for a around a year and only used it once. basically I'm not a fan on the 230*49 but the f&f and grind is outstanding
That’s the only thing I don’t like about them. You can’t move up to the 270 either because it’s a completely different knife.

i much prefer a "real" 240 with more height (like 52-53), also it came zero grind so it need to be sharpened.

I'm not sure if I want to keep this knife, so I didn't put an edge on it.

on the other hand, its hard for me to let it go cause its beautifully made, never seen such amazing kanji and nice distal taper.

maybe i will get back to it in the future, i just have too many gyutos currently.

what do you mean by completely different?

i really like ginsan, maybe i need to get 270 Kono MM:)
The 270 Takayuki Ginsan is a battle axe. They vary in weight but they’re generally anywhere from 280 grams to well over 300.

Let me know if you find a Kono MM 270 Ginsan. I don’t think they made them but I hope I’m wrong.

i much prefer a "real" 240 with more height (like 52-53), also it came zero grind so it need to be sharpened.

I'm not sure if I want to keep this knife, so I didn't put an edge on it.

on the other hand, its hard for me to let it go cause its beautifully made, never seen such amazing kanji and nice distal taper.

maybe i will get back to it in the future, i just have too many gyutos currently.

Fair enough, As a veteran of too many tiny kitchens and varied, terrible chopping spots, I’m less settled and fussy than most about specs.

I was lucky in getting hold of a Yamatsuka blade with a ridiculous OOTB edge to go with the fit and finish (on an Oul). Whether it’s because it‘s forged or ground so ambitiously, the ginsan here seems more likeably carbon like than any other stainless I own.

The 270 Takayuki Ginsan is a battle axe. They vary in weight but they’re generally anywhere from 280 grams to well over 300.

Let me know if you find a Kono MM 270 Ginsan. I don’t think they made them but I hope I’m wrong.

yeah they tend to be heavy, better to be hand picked from a good trusty vendor

think i saw one a few months ago in Europe, I was surprised as well.

maybe it was old stock but i can contact kosuke on this matter.

Fair enough, As a veteran of too many tiny kitchens and varied, terrible chopping spots, I’m less settled and fussy than most about specs.

I was lucky in getting hold of a Yamatsuka blade with a ridiculous OOTB edge to go with the fit and finish (on an Oul). Whether it’s because it‘s forged or ground so ambitiously, the ginsan here seems more likeably carbon like than any other stainless I own.

at my current apt i do have a nice work space so i got too spoiled that i can complain about few mm short.

I agree about the ginsan part, its feels like a carbon. i also have experience with s.tanaka ginsan which is nice, but yamatsuka is nicer(maybe because its hand forged?).

yeah they tend to be heavy, better to be hand picked from a good trusty vendor

think i saw one a few months ago in Europe, I was surprised as well.

maybe it was old stock but i can contact kosuke on this matter.

I was asking Kosuke about a saya for the MM 270 I bought off BST and he said he didn't have any MM knives for reference

Perhaps pedestrian by KKF standards, but I'm enjoying my new Akira-Saku 240 sujihiki.
IMG_0552.jpeg

I've been holding back from posting anything... but figured I might as well, not to brag on what I have, but more to share my thoughts on the knives itself :)
These knives were purchased over the last 2 week :)

Sakai Takayuki Homura Guren 225mm Gyuto
Very intimidating due to it's size and weight, but cuts insanely well. Absolutely in love with it, but unsure about long term use due to it's weight.
IMG_3585.jpg

Migoto White #2 270mm Sujihiki
Absolutely fantastic to use. Extremely smooth and easy slicing. Highly recommend anyone considering a Suji, am definitely keeping an eye for a gyuto version of this from Migoto!
IMG_3636.jpg

Sakai Hokushin White #2 180mm Gyuto
Feels absolutely solid for a 180mm, sturdy and extremely well-finished. However, unfortunately not sharp enough OOTB, which was a bit of a disappointment.
IMG_3711.jpg

Miura Knives Itadaki series White #2 210mm Gyuto
Really love the feel of this. Again, feels very solid, and cuts well. However, blade is actually shorter than 210mm (not that it's a bad thing).
IMG_3720.jpg

Very intimidating due to it's size and weight, but cuts insanely well. Absolutely in love with it, but unsure about long term use due to it's weight.
I have the 150mm petty. It's one of my favorite knives.

I've been holding back from posting anything... but figured I might as well, not to brag on what I have, but more to share my thoughts on the knives itself :)
These knives were purchased over the last 2 week :)

View attachment 143187

Migoto White #2 270mm Sujihiki
Absolutely fantastic to use. Extremely smooth and easy slicing. Highly recommend anyone considering a Suji, am definitely keeping an eye for a gyuto version of this from Migoto!
View attachment 143188

Sakai Hokushin White #2 180mm Gyuto
Feels absolutely solid for a 180mm, sturdy and extremely well-finished. However, unfortunately not sharp enough OOTB, which was a bit of a disappointment.
View attachment 143189

Miura Knives Itadaki series White #2 210mm Gyuto
Really love the feel of this. Again, feels very solid, and cuts well. However, blade is actually shorter than 210mm (not that it's a bad thing).
View attachment 143190

Cheers for those. Enjoyed hearing about the Takayuki Homura - attactive things that I’ve been keeping a curious eye on for a while. Never tried an Itsuo Doi and not sure if the thickness appeals, but they’re unusual and attractive blades.

I've caught my wife using it several times... with a big smile on her face. She usually leaves my knives alone, but she's drawn to this petty.
aw man.. why did you have to say that? Now I'm going to have to really consider buying the petty again LOL

Cheers for those. Enjoyed hearing about the Takayuki Homura - attactive things that I’ve been keeping a curious eye on for a while. Never tried an Itsuo Doi and not sure if the thickness appeals, but they’re unusual and attractive blades.
I'm 100% with you. And to be very honest... I embarrassingly purchased it more for the look than anything else initially. But man, it's a beast. Mind you, I think most ppl here would have more experience than I.

aw man.. why did you have to say that? Now I'm going to have to really consider buying the petty again LOL
No doubt in my mind, her picking up this knife while my back was turned and feeling the magic of using an exceptional knife, has been the silent support to continue acquiring more knives without as much as "one of those looks".

Enjoy your new petty.

Latest posts

Back