Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some new knives today!
Shigefusa Kurouchi Nakiri 165mm
Kaeru Kasumi Gyuto 240mm
Kaeru Kasumi Pairing 90mm

IMG_20210923_173232.jpg

IMG_20210923_173259.jpg

First honyaki, a Takagi from BST.
IMG_0524.jpg

I wanted a project and boy did I get one... I'm goodness knows how many hours in (definitely 20+) and I think I am probably only about 75% of the way to where I will end up regrinding. Current polish definitely needs work too, probably need to go back down to ~600 grit and work back up. Was pleased to find a hamon though and there is some bonus banding as well. New handle coming soon.
IMG_0523.jpg

TFTFTFTF!!!

Finally got my wa denka in from the factory!! In my opinion, fit and finish looks good. Anyone want to put their two cents in on the job they did?

View attachment 143951View attachment 143952View attachment 143954View attachment 143955View attachment 143957View attachment 143958View attachment 143961View attachment 143963

it's all good until proven otherwise.

besides, there's almost certainly nothing you cant fix with time and patience.

Yoshimi Kato Black Damascus SG2 240mm Gyuto with custom ruby marbled acrylic handle.

The blade looks way better in person and I’m surprised at how thin the blade is. I’m fast becoming a fan of Yoshimi Kato. Looking forward to running it past some vegetables.

6A063E34-D3A5-41A4-B130-2A5D8B49D372.jpeg

26C06453-4AAA-480B-BDE1-7EA79DBF5A1C.jpeg

21022DB9-7A77-4BDD-BF8D-E1E7D3ADD49D.jpeg

Received a most excellent care package today courtesy of @birdsfan , among which was this 210mm KU Mazaki. I think he wasn't such a fan of because it had one of those quite chunky, slightly convex Mazaki grinds. But a little time on a Shapton 500 and Turkish oilstone, and I've taken it back to pretty much zero for the main road + a microbevel, which I think I'm going to rather like - all the weight from the spine on something quite thin behind the edge. I'll refine it some more from here, but I do like the feel of it atm tbh :).

I also love this profile. I don't know what others think, but it's pretty much ideal for me. Plus my wife is a rock-chopper, so I reckon it'll work for her too.

IMG_E2926.JPG

IMG_E2925.JPG

---

This next isn't necessarily a new knife, but a saya that he made for one of my knives, going only only a sketch I sent, a few photos, and some measurements.

The knife itself I made - you can tell from the artistic, and entirely intentional, low spots at the top (essential they say to avoid sticking when cutting the famous Aragonian 'Cebolla Fuentes de Ebro'!).

I also made the handle, which has always been one of my favourites, and @birdsfan rather remarkably managed to incorporate matching blue resin stripes into the saya. It's fairly splendid I think...

IMG_E2923.JPG

IMG_E2924.JPG

Last edited:
I don't normally like fancy handles, but that one looks really good. Great match with the saya, too. Nice work all around.

Ah cheers! Yeah I was quite pleased with that, it was a very experimental handle when I was just starting to make them, from a piece of Tasmanian Oak floorboard offcut that needed a large amount of epoxy fill. A slightly messy and precarious operation, but came out beautifully.

As did BF's saya which is just a spot-on colour match for both the wood and the epoxy :).

Yoshimi Kato Black Damascus SG2 240mm Gyuto with custom ruby marbled acrylic handle.

The blade looks way better in person and I’m surprised at how thin the blade is. I’m fast becoming a fan of Yoshimi Kato. Looking forward to running it past some vegetables.

View attachment 144074

View attachment 144075
View attachment 144076
These are really nice knives and feel better in hand than I was expecting when I got mine. They go from very good to great/excellent if you sand everything to a near mirror polish and re-etch.

Ah cheers! Yeah I was quite pleased with that, it was a very experimental handle when I was just starting to make them, from a piece of Tasmanian Oak floorboard offcut that needed a large amount of epoxy fill. A slightly messy and precarious operation, but came out beautifully.

As did BF's saya which is just a spot-on colour match for both the wood and the epoxy :).

I really love handles with blue resin filling natural voids in the wood. Sounds weirdly specific but those combos always stand out to me. Great work!

My eyes see an owl face in that blue circle near the butt. Two golden eyes and a beak in the middle. Now I can't not see it. :)

🤣 took me a second to spot it! Looks like a pokémon or anime demon face to me.

BTW my wife has claimed that knife as her own, calls it “R2D2” and is quite pleased that it has the most colorful handle on the whole knife rack.

Here's a fun one! 290x56mm 295gm gyuto from Vachon in homemade Damascus (1084 & 15N20). Just my size and tons of personality. (The grind is fairly heavy but thinner behind the edge than it looks at the choil.) Already taking a lovely patina after a few seasons, so I can't wait to see how this looks with more use.

PXL_20210912_200827385.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210912_200838545.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210912_200847418.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210918_212805032.PORTRAIT.jpg

I’m another who bought one of those Myojin’s SG2 blades from HomeButcher, so whilst I‘d like to chronicle my latest purchase I’m wary of retreading overfamiliar ground, especially when there have been some cracking shots before on this very thread.

So forgive me for trying to squeeze a couple of different ’arty’ shots in...

1632651579228.jpeg

1632651642615.jpeg
Absolutely nothing more to see here now, so we can all move on to the next knife happily…

😉

This? Or did you get one with a "colorful" handle and trying to hide it? Just asking.

Regardless, very creative and fun.

Drat. I would have got away with if it hadn‘t been for you meddling kids. <shakes fist, reveals laughable photo below>

1632659012398.jpeg

Yep, I am slightly ashamed by the horror of the handle but, with hindsight, I‘m still glad my greed overwhelmed my pride on this occasion. Let the record show that this deal worked out at over $200 less than another esteemed retailer is charging for the very same blade alone, and I got.a free handle thrown in. I’d have settled for $100 less and no handle, but still…

🤷‍♂️

Drat. I would have got away with if it hadn‘t been for you meddling kids. <shakes fist, reveals laughable photo below>

View attachment 144252
Yep, I am slightly ashamed by the horror of the handle but, with hindsight, I‘m still glad my greed overwhelmed my pride on this occasion. Let the record show that this deal worked out at over $200 less than another esteemed retailer is charging for the very same blade alone, and I got.a free handle thrown in. I’d have settled for $100 less and no handle, but still…

🤷‍♂️
It matches nicely with the toy in the background

View attachment 144252

🤷‍♂️

Is it pressure sensitive? Grip harder-purple, grip looser-pink?

Back