Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I am slightly ashamed by the horror of the handle

1632671026437.gif

TF if it had an even grind and good fit and finish. Steel sharpens easier and maybe finer (edit: actually coarser but more pleasurable) and it's also stainless clad. It feels less glassy... I like sharpening, and the edge feel better, but doesn't cut hair as readily as tf. Sharpening feels is very responsive... Not the finest, but more responsive and compared to any other steel I've sharpened. Feels like a cross between wakui V2 and Maboroshi white 1. Stainless clad sharpens crispy too, not rubbery... but not as smooth as soft iron. Similar kind of ping ringy sound to the blade as Fujiwara teruyasu. A little less hard feeling. Handle is well finished, light, and the weird cut at the back mimics a western handle and helps alot with control. He does grinding on a water cooled sander, so the light convex is very very well done. There's a convex Kona, which is somewhat conservative but we'll balanced ... The end user can always go more acute.

Asano Kajiya 210 gyuto
53mm heel
3mm spine at heel
1.2 mm spine at 1/3 point near tip
0.9 mm at 30mm from tip

Attachments

• PXL_20210926_190308308.jpg
    PXL_20210926_190308308.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210926_190311120.jpg
    PXL_20210926_190311120.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20210926_190320470.jpg
    PXL_20210926_190320470.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20210926_190335786.jpg
    PXL_20210926_190335786.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20210926_190347811.jpg
    PXL_20210926_190347811.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Warning … this post may bring a tear to your eye!

I received a slightly early birthday present from my 10 year old son today. I share everything about my knives and sharpening with my young son. He probably knows as much or more about my knife collection than I do. He also sits patiently and interested when I sharpen and is pretty good at guessing what stone I’m going to reach for. I’m always complaining that with my collection of knives I don’t have a decent steak knife.

Well he presented me with an early birthday present today. A steak knife and a steak to use it on. Here is a couple of pics …

752EA0AE-6A01-42CA-B7D4-FC5A307C9D4F.jpeg
CDC8CFE7-D95C-43AE-A341-56E226E46426.jpeg

He paid for it with his own money … gathered from doing chores, researched it and ordered it with his moms help. When it arrived he went with his mom to our local butcher and demanded “the best steak in the store for his dad”. The knife is a Victorinox “forged” steak knife with a rosewood handle. 123mm blade length. The steak look to be assembled from a rib eye roast by the butcher.

This knife is now the most priceless knife in my collection.

I received a slightly early birthday present from my 10 year old son today. I share everything about my knives and sharpening with my young son. He probably knows as much or more about my knife collection than I do. He also sits patiently and interested when I sharpen and is pretty good at guessing what stone I’m going to reach for. I’m always complaining that with my collection of knives I don’t have a decent steak knife.

Well he presented me with an early birthday present today. A steak knife and a steak to use it on. Here is a couple of pics …

View attachment 144446View attachment 144448

He paid for it with his own money … gathered from doing chores, researched it and ordered it with his moms help. When it arrived he went with his mom to our local butcher and demanded “the best steak in the store for his dad”. The knife is a Victorinox “forged” steak knife with a rosewood handle. 123mm blade length. The steak look to be assembled from a rib eye roast by the butcher.

What an awesome kid. You should be extremely proud. Good taste too, is that like 2 ribeye caps together?

Out-freaking-standing my friend! Good for you and thank you sharing.

:)

I think the butcher cut it from a prime rib roast and removed the chunk of fat that is present in the center of the roast and tied it up for presentation. BTW …. The butcher only charged my son $5 for the steak.

With all that can be said that is bad in this world it’s incidents such as this that makes life well worth living. I know touching moments and good deeds happen every day but when it touches you directly it’s an affirmation of the basic goodness of most people.

Yup, I teared up. Im a sensitive father and from scandinavia, that story was way more the enough.

Beautiful example of why having a knife from a famous maker, or the most expensive, isn't so important. It's something that speaks to and brings you joy on a personal level, regardless of why.

You and your wife are obviously raising your son to be an amazing young man. Thank you for sharing.

...and Happy Birthday!

John: “….and here’s Myojin, straight out of Fashion Week styled by Home Butcher, boldly displaying the vivid colors of fall”
Gail: “Clearly zero f’s given by Home Butcher, John.”
John: “Right you are, Gail”

View attachment 143947
I now learned that if you're going to do something wacky, you should go all the way off the deep end or just don't.

Drat. I would have got away with if it hadn‘t been for you meddling kids. <shakes fist, reveals laughable photo below>

View attachment 144252
Yep, I am slightly ashamed by the horror of the handle but, with hindsight, I‘m still glad my greed overwhelmed my pride on this occasion. Let the record show that this deal worked out at over $200 less than another esteemed retailer is charging for the very same blade alone, and I got.a free handle thrown in. I’d have settled for $100 less and no handle, but still…

🤷‍♂️
Don't you find his handle is a bit short for a gyuto 210mm

Follow on from yesterday’s post.

Supper time …

8D96205E-4686-4A2A-824A-C59FE684F058.jpeg

It truly doesn’t get better than this. Cooked sous vide style at 118F in my Precision Oven. 4 min sear to 123F in butter and bacon fat in a carbon steel pan. On the plate with caramelized sweet onions and baby portobello mushrooms.

Thanks son … best bday ever!

Last edited:
I decided to give one of these a try, a CCK sharp rectangle, 230x105mm. That description is hyperbole, as it ain't at all sharp OOTB. I'm OK with that, you get what you pay for. In fact, it needs love all over. I did cut one onion up for tonight's pork tenderloin and kraut dinner, not impressed. But, I will give it some TLC, I'll oil up the handle today and continue this weekend, next with some high grit sand paper to smooth out the roughness, and lastly it needs some attention on the stones. Then, we'll see about cutting a bunch of stuff up. Don't be alarmed at the state of my cutting board, it's my bread board, no need to call the authorities...
cleaver.jpg

dang, I'm gonna have to show this to my daughters, they need to step up their game!!

also:

Love it!!!

Unfortunately I think there is something genetic that might keep daughters from being interested in knives and sharpening. Then again if you shifted to collecting and dressing dolls perhaps your daughters might shower you with bday gifts.

Whoops … I think I just said something very wrong. I think I need to hide this post from my daughter.

Unfortunately I think there is something genetic that might keep daughters from being interested in knives and sharpening. Then again if you shifted to collecting and dressing dolls perhaps your daughters might shower you with bday gifts.
I tried to get them into it by adding things like the Yoshihiro whaler, but while they like it, it didn't really spark too much of an interest. I shouldn't complain, they both use the pinch grip and at least have a foundation of knife skills to work with. They used to show a lot more interest in cooking, which to me is the proper gateway to knife love, at least it was for me, but that interest seems very cyclical, and we are in a long trough, waiting for the next peak. The younger always takes at least a couple cooking classes in the summer. I'll keep working on them.

whaler:
yoshihiro whale.jpg

Back