Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobuya Hayashi 240mmX51mm B#2
72FA025B-017E-454E-B730-4D5943B39FF8.jpeg
8C735F78-A01C-4001-8302-D25BAB882682.jpeg
F6EC7279-A141-44F9-934D-0BD0FBBEB35F.jpeg

I've been accumulating (collecting?) nice knives for only about a year, and have until now been on the upgrading side of upgrading/downgrading; but, as I keep telling my wife, "of course I have enough knives, and have no plans to get any more", and that especially after the two I bought last week. This thread is reassuring me that it is possible to throw the knife monkey off one's back (there really ought to be in this forum a "Knife Monkey" thread, where addicts can therapeutically confess), before hitting rock bottom. Anyway, I have enough knives and have no plans to buy more (any time soon).

Edit: Above posted in wrong thread. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
I joined the club. This is all your fault people. Thank you. 😂

IMG_3003.jpeg

My first NKD in AGES. Wat Pro Nakiri 180 purchased directly from Shinichi who was a true pleasure to deal with throughout. Ordered last Wednesday and it arrived this morning, two days ahead of schedule! Insanely sharp OOTB, nice solid feel ... I see what all the fuss is about. Just when I think my sharpening skills are getting halfway decent, a knife like this shows up and reminds me what sharp really is. As others have noted, F&F isn't on par with say my Maskage Koishis, but very far from terrible.

Have a great week everyone, I'm off to find some prep-intensive recipes.

the recent purchases of Wat Pro 180s and other rectangles brings a tear to my eye

welcome everyone throw your gyutos into the sea and join us

:dancingcow:
🤣 I was already an enthusiastic user of a $100 Kohetsu (same blade sold at varying prices under several names) which was great for the money, but I’d been wanting something bigger and the raves around here and on Reddit left me no choice.

Steeleworks cheffy. This may be one of my new favorites. Razor sharp and super fun to cut with. And reasonably priced for the materials, fit and finish. Britton also throws in a small homemade leather strop and compound with each order.

Stainless Damascus clad CuMai with a Nitro-V core from @diondamascus. Handle is a wonderfully sculpted stabilized curly redwood with copper, nickel-silver and black G10 bolster.

884614BE-6138-49BF-80C3-4BE6BE08AFF1.jpeg
6A52C391-81F0-4CA0-A15B-B1A1CCAD3495.jpeg
A10C3800-FF21-46AC-8699-5943F061F81F.jpeg

Last edited:
Steeleworks cheffy. This may be one of my new favorites. Razor sharp and super fun to cut with. And reasonably priced for the materials, fit and finish. Britton also throws in a small homemade leather strop and compound with each order.

Stainless Damascus clad CuMai with a Nitro-V core from @diondamascus. Handle is a wonderfully sculpted stabilized curly redwood with copper, nickel-silver and black G10 bolster.

View attachment 147596View attachment 147597View attachment 147598
that is gorgeous, kind of reminds me of Hazenberg without the ridiculous pricing. Nice pick up.

View attachment 147596View attachment 147597View attachment 147598

Gorgeous! Is the dark patina of the core steel a kurouchi finish? Can you share a link to the maker?

@nakiriknaifuwaifu My recent good experience with nakiri really lead me to confirm that a nakiri with a tip would be an ideal even perfect knife to me. I custom made this knife with a Chinese maker last year. It is a 215*65 mini-cleaver with a tip. It’s still trapped in China due to the COVID but I think I’m gonna love it once I get my hands on it.

AFC03FCE-69AF-4360-BEAF-80CD1565785D.jpeg

that is gorgeous, kind of reminds me of Hazenberg without the ridiculous pricing. Nice pick up.

Thank you! I think when he originally posted the handle he said be spent 8 hours on it (don’t hold me to that number but there was dedication there). I love functional sculpted/faceted handles. What I really appreciated was before shipping it out, he picked it up and compared it to another knife he was making with a similar handle and felt like he needed to make some slight changes to make mine just as comfortable. I thought that was above and beyond as I’m sure the original was comfortable enough for him to put up for sale.

Gorgeous! Is the dark patina of the core steel a kurouchi finish? Can you share a link to the maker?

Thanks! I loved that he took the CuMai and added that denty nashiji (?) finish. I’m not enough of an expert to say what’s nashiji versus kurouchi but the upper part of the blade does have a rougher finish and denting.

I don’t think he has a website but you can find him here: Login • Instagram

@steeleworks66

@nakiriknaifuwaifu My recent good experience with nakiri really lead me to confirm that a nakiri with a tip would be an ideal even perfect knife to me. I custom made this knife with a Chinese maker last year. It is a 215*65 mini-cleaver with a tip. It’s still trapped in China due to the COVID but I think I’m gonna love it once I get my hands on it.

View attachment 147630
nice custom. did u have the maker keep it pretty thin and light or put more heft into it? hope u get it soon.

View attachment 147630
Cool, what kind of steel is it?

nice custom. did u have the maker keep it pretty thin and light or put more heft into it? hope u get it soon.
For a 215 knife, it is on the heavier side as the weight is 191 gram without the handle. With a ho wood handle it would be ~220 gram. Now it's more like 250 gram with that ironwood handle. It uses a 3mm thick M390 stock with moderate distal taper. That shinogi line is more like a decoration. It's ground very thin BTE though.

Cool, what kind of steel is it?
M390

Thank you! I think when he originally posted the handle he said be spent 8 hours on it (don’t hold me to that number but there was dedication there). I love functional sculpted/faceted handles. What I really appreciated was before shipping it out, he picked it up and compared it to another knife he was making with a similar handle and felt like he needed to make some slight changes to make mine just as comfortable. I thought that was above and beyond as I’m sure the original was comfortable enough for him to put up for sale.

Thanks! I loved that he took the CuMai and added that denty nashiji (?) finish. I’m not enough of an expert to say what’s nashiji versus kurouchi but the upper part of the blade does have a rougher finish and denting.

I don’t think he has a website but you can find him here: Login • Instagram

@steeleworks66

Thanks! Would love to hear your thoughts after you’ve had a chance to use it.

Picked up a Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo gyuto, Blue 1 w/ iron cladding 240 mm. Cedar handle.

I thought I wasn’t going to like the cedar handle (certainly not flashy) but was very comfortable in hand and in my experience with it, the cladding/steel don’t seem as reactive as other non stainless that I’ve had.

I’m really impressed with the performance so far, best combo of low cutting resistance/decent food release I tried so far. I’m interested to see what would top it.

F6E0EAC0-3238-4420-BEFB-46CAC3384190.jpeg
D92EB7C5-E259-48C5-A857-3896E568700F.jpeg

Picked up a Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo gyuto, Blue 1 w/ iron cladding 240 mm. Cedar handle.

I thought I wasn’t going to like the cedar handle (certainly not flashy) but was very comfortable in hand and in my experience with it, the cladding/steel don’t seem as reactive as other non stainless that I’ve had.

I’m really impressed with the performance so far, best combo of low cutting resistance/decent food release I tried so far. I’m interested to see what would top it.

View attachment 147658View attachment 147656

These are great knives! I have the 165mm petty and love it. The cedar handle on them is up there with the best in terms of comfort, and it definitely keeps mine well balanced.

Latest posts

Back