Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 154443

Having purchased my first TX at the beginning of 2020 I jumped at the chance to pick up a second from @timebard when he decided to move his. It is a 230mm Gyuto forged with an Aogami Super core and stainless cladding. It weighs in at 224 gms and is 50mm deep at the heel. It has a durable Arizona Ironwood handle and a uniquely designed self locking saya. Here is a few more pics.

View attachment 154444

View attachment 154445

View attachment 154446

View attachment 154447

View attachment 154448

View attachment 154449

View attachment 154450

I had a chance to put my new treasure to work tonight carving a piece of pork belly that I had done up. A couple of pics in action.

View attachment 154454

View attachment 154455

What’s better than pork belly … NOTHING. I have it on good authority that pork belly, craft beer, chocolate, garlic and salt we have all the five major food groups covered.

It is really unfortunate that Steffen Toksvig has discontinued production of knives. It, like it’s previous brother, is a wonderful knife in hand. Grab one if you can.

There have been many pics of this gem ever since Steffen had it posted on his site. But hardly any mention of the saya. And I’ve been very curious about this interlocking saya Jazz.
Im not sure whether Steffen is still making knives available to the public, but I’ve been a fan of his for a while. What I’ve tried of his work have all been very impressive

I visited a local knife maker to drop off something (a project knife), and to pick up something for a favor to a friend. But when Henry showed me this knife, as much as I tried to fight temptation (and I REALLY TRIED!), I could not resist. A 230mm gyuto in spicy white 26c3 sporting some fantastic distal taper through its beautiful pointy profile.

The first pics show the blade in its original state. After some polishing and light etching, the beautiful hidden banding was revealed.
When I returned home there was a UPS package on the front porch. Inside it contained a nice blade from a very popular French maker I had bought from a buddy. When I tried both the Hyde and this other knife side by side, in my opinion, the Hyde came out as the obvious winner. Super impressed with its performance and its Billipp-like qualities.

70020A7B-9020-4CC7-ABE2-6C4F500D0876.jpeg
8D1D3970-FB14-4DA0-867A-A735CA417DE2.jpeg

And here are some pics of it post polish, and the must-have choil shot:

5D86523E-8B5C-4647-81D8-9D0754B11794.jpeg
4C23DC0E-7D96-49CE-9232-22EF11288DBD.jpeg
3DCB5D0F-8E75-4A72-97E0-F59C40CB6110.jpeg

9C0C5F31-6928-4E54-9FF8-1A254787EAB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Like the New Knives post? Check out this “Naughty Schoolboy” post. …

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/like-a-naughty-schoolboy.44589/page-4#post-866275
Not only did Steffen’s blade rank among the top potato slap down cutters that I’ve tested … it blew away a Burke Custom costing five times as much … OK “blew away” may be an overstatement, because it was close but, the TX clearly out cut the Burke in my test.

Back to the saya …

I have figured out why Steffens left the highly overpaid glamour world of artisan Swedish Knife Maker. He took a contract from NASA for the Artemis program paying 142 million USD (since expanded to 215 million USD due to Covid induced complications) to produce a fast release enclosure for a cutting device used for emergency escape and adverse Alien interactions. Key to the success of Steffens bid was the absence of any machined penetration and locking device which could be hazardous to other equipment in a free floating micro gravity environment. I say good in ya Steffens.

Back to the saya. First its clear that the saya is an engineered device which is a good thing because Steffens happens to be one. A few pics to help …

71FA3AF1-E6C4-4BAE-8438-4A1EAD8F3F11.jpeg

First thing to note is that Steffens machines a notch (pad?) in the larger half of the saya. It’s a little bigger than the pad of your thumb.

7B9430ED-1635-4BFE-B463-D71DFE362DCE.jpeg

Second, Steffens removes the filler strip of the saya adjacent to the thumb pad. The distance is carefully calibrated to provide just enough clearance to release the knife blade which is normally captured and retained in the saya by the notch.

28B4DB7B-34AB-4B44-8677-274EE604A753.jpeg

An end view shows that the saya material is thinner and therefore more flexible than would normally be used in a saya.

09F7BBD7-749C-49E1-9F13-277B16204F21.jpeg

The “downside” may be that the lesser clearance between the saya and the blade may introduce minimal horizontal striations (streaks) on the blade after prolonged use. Current testing using treated bovine containing material (leather) lining the saya would eliminate any striation creation (streaks) from repeated removal and insertion of the blade (knife sex).

So … there you go! The full skinny on Steffens “pinless” blade saya.

At last word Steffens is planning to take his “Steffens Fast Release” company public on NASDAQ with an initial capitalization of 1.7 billion dollars. He is recorded as saying that based on current guaranteed contracts with NASA he hopes to reduce the unit cost of his Fast Release Enclosures (saya’s) to 22 million USD each by the fall of 2028.

Good for Steffens … bad for kitchen knife nerds!

Epilogue … Astronauts on the ISS where the protection devices are receiving a trial are reportedly over joyed to have something they can easily obtain to cut open those stupid plastic bags they are expected to suck their short rib and potato dinners out of!

When I tried both the Hyde and this other knife side by side, in my opinion, the Hyde came out as the obvious winner. Super impressed with its performance and its Billipp-like qualities.
That is some high praise. So much so I reached out to see if I could get on his books. Thanks for sharing

The Tanaka with handle installed. I left a machi gap to get some flavor of konosuke. lol.
ABAEA853-27BB-4EBD-A43E-8D6C270F8F83.jpeg

Also received this Takeda AS gyuto. It’s incredibly large, thin and light. 252mm*68mm. 150 gram. 2.5 mm thick at handle, 1.5 mm thick in the middle. The food release is as good as they say, but it’s a little wedgy as the bevel is only 6 mm wide but 1.05 mm thick. I might thin it on the left side for better cut and keep the right shoulder for food release.
FD5F93FF-A76C-48AC-82B8-0218DB3D38D5.jpeg
E245DFC0-1BC4-432B-B5E1-823B297FA19C.jpeg

The Tanaka with handle installed. I left a machi gap to get some flavor of konosuke. lol.
View attachment 154905

Also received this Takeda AS gyuto. It’s incredibly large, thin and light. 252mm*68mm. 150 gram. 2.5 mm thick at handle, 1.5 mm thick in the middle. The food release is as good as they say, but it’s a little wedgy as the bevel is only 6 mm wide but 1.05 mm thick. I might thin it on the left side for better cut and keep the right shoulder for food release.
View attachment 154906View attachment 154907

two of them really beautiful, the tanaka is interesting for me. i will wait for your notes:)

the takeda look very similar to mine. food release is outstanding but little wedgy, i wish it was heavier..

two of them really beautiful, the tanaka is interesting for me. i will wait for your notes:)

the takeda look very similar to mine. food release is outstanding but little wedgy, i wish it was heavier..
Yea it’s shocking to me that it’s so light for how big it is. The majority of this knife is less than 1 mm thick. Very unique knife.

I'm not a collector really and I'm usually not into fancy knives but I couldn't resist this one:
Tanaka Yohei 2.jpeg

Hitohira Tanaka/Yohei kiritsuke gyuto 240 blue #1 damascus clad.
With my limited needs as a home cook I couldn't justify the purchase of a sujihiki but this is somewhat in between a sujihiki and a gyuto, for slicing and delicate work but it can handle board work too. Edge length is 226 mm x 44 mm height, spine tapers from 2,5 mm to 1 mm, weight is 154 gram with the Taihei ziricote handle. So I guess this is laser territory. I think the damascus on this looks great, with the dreamy lamination line. I feel very honoured to own such a beautiful knife.
Tanaka Yohei 3.jpeg

Tanaka Yohei 4.jpeg

How will I keep that edge so shiny LOL? It's almost mirror polish.
Choil shot
Tanaka Yohei 5.jpeg

It is easily the sharpest knife OOTB I've ever had.
Potato cutting test: no stiction whatsoever! I'm amazed.
Tanaka Yohei 6.jpeg

Alright so I wanted to post some more info/pics once I had a chance to collect myself 😅 A few months ago, I saw an IG video of David displaying one of his c lock chef knives. I thought it was super cool and absolutely had to have one. I reached out to him about it, but of course it was already spoken for. You can tell that he definitely enjoys making these knives for how challenging they are, and he eagerly agreed to make another in a few months. I requested a large blade, as thin as he could make it. I told him I wanted this to be one I grab for often, so it would have to be as performance forward as possible with an emphasis on cutting feel. After finishing it up, I told him I wanted a leather sheath made for it since it seemed fitting, so he sent it out to Paul Long. David told me multiple times that he’s convinced it’s the best chef knife he’s ever made. I’m in sales, so I scoffed and a little “yeah okay buddy” went through my head each time. Well now that I have it I’m sold. In the past, no matter how expensive the blade, I can almost always find little “flaws” or things I can gripe about upon close examination. They obviously don’t really matter all that much but I see them as imperfections. This knife is as close to perfect as I have found so far. Everything, from the weight, balance, feel and shape of the handle and bolster, profile of the blade… the Damascus cap on the end of the handle is so expertly fitted and finished I can’t even get my nail to catch on the seam anywhere I try, including the incredibly dimpled part I highlighted in pics. Impressive on every level.
A14A7C4A-F925-42F2-A770-CBD3665F577B.jpeg
D5B55BAE-D319-4E5E-A226-210E93B56B3B.jpeg
0D9DFD0F-9DCE-4ECC-A178-4FF67D4827C6.jpeg
F65BB351-70B1-4603-B311-A2FE6C1E0E74.jpeg
A052102C-1547-4177-9526-EB690703FC8D.jpeg
43247344-4213-4A9A-94F9-519D8176A8EE.jpeg
4C4E638E-2451-4728-9F0D-E0C6489C5E9B.jpeg
650B564A-F21D-42FF-BD5A-A4F94A351E67.jpeg

I may have dropped the ball by not asking for some straps on the back of the sheath so I can slap this bad boy on my thigh like tomb raider.

Alright so I wanted to post some more info/pics once I had a chance to collect myself 😅 A few months ago, I saw an IG video of David displaying one of his c lock chef knives. I thought it was super cool and absolutely had to have one. I reached out to him about it, but of course it was already spoken for. You can tell that he definitely enjoys making these knives for how challenging they are, and he eagerly agreed to make another in a few months. I requested a large blade, as thin as he could make it. I told him I wanted this to be one I grab for often, so it would have to be as performance forward as possible with an emphasis on cutting feel. After finishing it up, I told him I wanted a leather sheath made for it since it seemed fitting, so he sent it out to Paul Long. David told me multiple times that he’s convinced it’s the best chef knife he’s ever made. I’m in sales, so I scoffed and a little “yeah okay buddy” went through my head each time. Well now that I have it I’m sold. In the past, no matter how expensive the blade, I can almost always find little “flaws” or things I can gripe about upon close examination. They obviously don’t really matter all that much but I see them as imperfections. This knife is as close to perfect as I have found so far. Everything, from the weight, balance, feel and shape of the handle and bolster, profile of the blade… the Damascus cap on the end of the handle is so expertly fitted and finished I can’t even get my nail to catch on the seam anywhere I try, including the incredibly dimpled part I highlighted in pics. Impressive on every level. View attachment 155155View attachment 155156View attachment 155157View attachment 155158View attachment 155159View attachment 155160View attachment 155161View attachment 155162
I may have dropped the ball by not asking for some straps on the back of the sheath so I can slap this bad boy on my thigh like tomb raider.
Beautiful knife and excellent photography. What disturbs me the most is that I correctly guessed the maker from the handle and bolster without seeing this knife before. I am starting to think I might have a slight problem 🤷‍♂️

Hey KKF!

I thought I would share something a little special with the forum... this is a Takamura Uchigomo 270mm that I picked up from @Elliot not too long ago. I was happy to find any Uchigomo but this one is definitely special in size, and the fact that the Kanji is gold-gilded. Super excited to be the new owner of this one. Cheers!

B4570125-A4E9-4375-A3A3-E1BCECDF76DB.jpeg
ECCBB880-E5F6-444C-A1DB-2F5D697A538B.jpeg
8452AF83-A90C-47E7-BD85-2112C7BF11AE.jpeg
DD72280C-2043-4BC2-BD1B-524B0A67C6F1.jpeg
52126BD6-2F44-4F6B-86D6-48EB09BE40D9.jpeg

Couple weeks late in posting this. had a shipping snafu and then was on the road so i only opened it last night. hitohira tanaka kyuzo blue 1 damascus with birds eye maple handle from Tosho. Its really stunning but not sure im keeping as it is thinner than I anticipated. still the balance is perfect and damascus is really gorgeous
82A6CCB8-24E6-417D-B1F3-508A0B8075F3.jpeg
7692DA9E-E428-4063-8BEF-D514821D69CF.jpeg
2B284963-DC3A-485A-8CD7-B387B4A1B7E4.jpeg
CE851DD6-D3B1-43E5-9B91-9582773A8AD8.jpeg

Alright so I wanted to post some more info/pics once I had a chance to collect myself 😅 A few months ago, I saw an IG video of David displaying one of his c lock chef knives. I thought it was super cool and absolutely had to have one. I reached out to him about it, but of course it was already spoken for. You can tell that he definitely enjoys making these knives for how challenging they are, and he eagerly agreed to make another in a few months. I requested a large blade, as thin as he could make it. I told him I wanted this to be one I grab for often, so it would have to be as performance forward as possible with an emphasis on cutting feel. After finishing it up, I told him I wanted a leather sheath made for it since it seemed fitting, so he sent it out to Paul Long. David told me multiple times that he’s convinced it’s the best chef knife he’s ever made. I’m in sales, so I scoffed and a little “yeah okay buddy” went through my head each time. Well now that I have it I’m sold. In the past, no matter how expensive the blade, I can almost always find little “flaws” or things I can gripe about upon close examination. They obviously don’t really matter all that much but I see them as imperfections. This knife is as close to perfect as I have found so far. Everything, from the weight, balance, feel and shape of the handle and bolster, profile of the blade… the Damascus cap on the end of the handle is so expertly fitted and finished I can’t even get my nail to catch on the seam anywhere I try, including the incredibly dimpled part I highlighted in pics. Impressive on every level. View attachment 155155View attachment 155156View attachment 155157View attachment 155158View attachment 155159View attachment 155160View attachment 155161View attachment 155162
Awesome knife! Damascus even down to the snap. Is it possible to inquire about ordering one? Thought I was done :-(

Is it possible to inquire about ordering one? Thought I was done :-(
This is the first knife I've ordered from him, but I did ask about another damascus pattern and potentially another future custom after this knife was complete. The answer I got was something along the lines of "I'll let you know when I feel like it". Which is fine, it just means he's one of the makers that prioritizes his creative process. Like I said though, he seems to really enjoy making these, so more than likely you'll just need to wait a couple months like I did.

Back