Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
United with it’s brethren at last. Now it’s just waiting for it’s patina

1A9357EF-68DC-4247-B3FA-52F51A71434E.jpeg
59F2CA19-EFD0-4476-B4EA-1DC38F4F3ABE.jpeg

Thanks @nakiriknaifuwaifu, and of course, @KAMON Knives, for helping me yearn that much more to get in front of my cutting board every day😁

I got myself an old yanagiba from a local auction site. 220 mm from heel to tip, claimed to be carbon steel and from the 1940:ies or 50:ies. Sharp out of the box according to paper tests, but I guess sashimi will be on the menu soon.

DSC_0453.JPG

DSC_0455.JPG

DSC_0457.JPG

DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

Small kanji on the backside which I didn't quite catch with my phone.

DSC_0459.JPG

I have had a few come in over the last couple months that I haven't had the chance to post. The first was a 240mm Toyama. I asked Maksim if I could have the heavier ones he had in stock and I am very happy with its performance. Smooth cutting feel but still releases very well. Surprisingly well in fact, gave me one of those moments where you chuckle to yourself while using it when I was chopping up some potatoes. Handle is burnt ho wood with buffalo horn. Feels very nice and grippy in hand. My first burnt wood handle and I like it a lot.

Length: 242mm
Height at heel: 55mm
Weight: 220g
Spine thickness at heel: ≈4mm

IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG
IMG_3530.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3543.JPG

I have had a few come in over the last couple months that I haven't had the chance to post. The first was a 240mm Toyama. I asked Maksim if I could have the heavier ones he had in stock and I am very happy with its performance. Smooth cutting feel but still releases very well. Surprisingly well in fact, gave me one of those moments where you chuckle to yourself while using it when I was chopping up some potatoes. Handle is burnt ho wood with buffalo horn. Feels very nice and grippy in hand. My first burnt wood handle and I like it a lot.

Length: 242mm
Height at heel: 55mm
Weight: 220g
Spine thickness at heel: ≈4mm

View attachment 160463View attachment 160464View attachment 160465View attachment 160466View attachment 160467
Did you burn the ho-wood yourself?

When I got my Kaeru honyaki in the mail, my wife was so worked up over the potent cigarette smell (she thought the appliance repair guy had smoked in our apartment - it was that bad) that she forgot to be irritated that I bought another new knife and ask how much it cost :cool:
Make sure to send a thank you card.

When I got my Kaeru honyaki in the mail, my wife was so worked up over the potent cigarette smell (she thought the appliance repair guy had smoked in our apartment - it was that bad) that she forgot to be irritated that I bought another new knife and ask how much it cost :cool:
Genius, you may have cracked the code. Now when you get new knives just plant a cigarette somewhere and cone up with a creative story or just get all knives from maxim

Oh my … now that is sweeeeeeet!

Isn’t it just? I am impressed by the glorious overkill of putting an s-grind on a suji, a willowy type of blade already well suited to reducing sticktion. Envious - and could certainly be a heavyweight contender in your sticky potato tests

I must also concede that it appears that I did PeterL a little bit of a disservice on this thread earlier, engaging in somewhat tired (2 by 2 and ark type) japes about his tendency to pick up a pair of blades from makers he liked in quick succession, saving TF’s for us from the great flood. In fact I make this 3 Dalmans now, so perhaps I underestimated this fine fellow Londoner. He is actually more ambitious than Noah it seems, and I doff my hat at his old-testament exceeding knife collecting skills. Good work fella.

👍

Back