Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New White#1
20220331_163600.jpg
Yoshikazu Tanaka Shirogami #1 Damascus Wide Bevel Gyuto 240mm Ebony Handle

Last edited:
View attachment 172267

I have been looking for a nice example of work from Harbeer ChaHal for a couple of years. You don’t see much of his work offered on BST. My chance came when @julestools posted his HSCIII Gyuto on BST. It was exactly what I was looking for so I pushed the “Buy it Now” button.

The steel is a wrought iron cladding over a 26C3 core. It has an edge length of 240mm and a depth of 55mm at the heel. It weighs in at 234gms and offers a charred white oak and African Blackwood handle with a gorgeous suede lined charred white oak saya. As expected the workmanship and finishing is impeccable.

A few more pics …

View attachment 172268

View attachment 172269

View attachment 172270

View attachment 172271

View attachment 172272

View attachment 172273

View attachment 172274

To welcome this new Gyuto to the family I used it to prep some veges for a sous vide cook in my Anova Precision Oven. 20 minutes at 185F, 100% steam, followed by 10 minutes at 375F after coating with a little olive oil and spices. I use Harbeer‘s Gyuto to thin slice some left over beef roast, warmed the slices in gravy then “welcome to the family“ for this special new blade.

View attachment 172275

View attachment 172276

A wonderful knife from a great maker … well worth the wait.
Looking good, thanks for sharing
Harbeer

tempting…. are there any knives you would say it feels similar to ?
I've used the 240 side by side with my Kagekiyo blue, I can't tell a difference in use. The Kagekiyo has a bit more forward balance, but honestly I cannot perceive the difference while using it. The Tetsujin is a bit heavier. I've yet to go through any volume of hard veggies, so we'll see. The 210 is very similar to my Yoshikane SKD, but doesn't have that flat spot near the heel that bothers a lot of folks (not me).

I've used the 240 side by side with my Kagekiyo blue, I can't tell a difference in use. The Kagekiyo has a bit more forward balance, but honestly I cannot perceive the difference while using it. The Tetsujin is a bit heavier. I've yet to go through any volume of hard veggies, so we'll see. The 210 is very similar to my Yoshikane SKD, but doesn't have that flat spot near the heel that bothers a lot of folks (not me).
I still would love to try out a Takada blue 240 for a few weeks if anyone wants to loan me one. 🤣 🤣

Beeswax. Roll it between your fingertips to shape it and warm it up some. Then stuff it into the hole. Cut away excess if necessary.
Thank you! Is easier than I expected, I was thinking that I'll need to melt it in a microwave or something like that.

@Knivperson @tylerleach
Kamon Etch - quick polish with diamond paste/emulsion on hard felt pad, wash with dish soap then Windex then etch in dilute FeCl (mine is maybe 20% FeCl solution copper etchant from MG chemicals and 80% water) . Spray again with Windex to neutralize acid, hot water rinse then second quick felt pad polish and 3hrs in instant coffee soak ( 1/2 jar then fill plastic pasta container with water ) and rinse well in water. Polished with sunshine cloth, second coffee soak for a couple hrs, wash with dish soap and final sunshine cloth polish.
Only down side is you do pretty much lose the blue torch color on the tang.
Kamon also uses FeCl but for safety reasons suggested just coffee - so that would also probably work but may take an all day soak.

Back