Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shout out to @javi_rome who is a great seller to deal with. Just grabbed his HF. Had a chip in it so I worked that out today and gave it a little uchigomori polish on the wrought, which is super easy since Joe finishes his bevels so easily. Love these things. Joining my larger one.

hf230.jpg

wrought.jpeg

image.jpg

just kind of shocked that these 2 knives kind of fell into my lap at the same time, arriving on the same day. I had wanted a B1 kagekiyo for a long time and grabbed it as soon as the recent restock at JKI hit my email. absolute stunner. The kono wide bevel is from the 2019 batch sharpened by Morihiro...blue 2 from cktg. i actually had snagged one off of that drop, loved it, but traded it for a Comet honyaki like a year later. I didn't regret the trade cause the Comet is amazing but i always wished i still had that knife. so when one from the same drop brand new hit BST the other day, had to grab it. The knives are obviously closely related, but there are subtle differences. both are fairly light, but the balance point on the kagekiyo is more forward despite being thicker out of the handle with more taper and it feels more authoritative. all the work on the kagekiyo is top notch. the kono feels like the more reserved of the two but that it will cut all day. i'm excited to get both to use this week!
IMG_2379-2.jpg
IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2389-sharp.jpg

Start with 240 finish at 800 - sand heel to tip - then go to fingerstones or King 800 mud on a felt pad for the Kasumi.
Can always leave the stock handle on if you’re sanding. I think the stock handles look pretty good if you scorch them with a hand torch ( wrap the ferrule in a couple layers of aluminum foil)
View attachment 201508
Nice looks very good. I have a very nice uchigumori that leaves a nice dark kasumi. Might go up to 800 on paper and finish with that uchi, or use the mud from it. Stock handle is gone...I already have special plans in that department!

Gesshin Kagekiyo Blue #1 240mm gyuto (178 g)
Bought it knowing full well my friends will just call this my "glitter knife."

Every detail has such a stunning level of fit and finish. The OOTB edge is one of the sharpest I've encountered too; just ghosted through tomatoes with no resistance at all.

View attachment 201571
View attachment 201572

View attachment 201573

View attachment 201574
The OOTB edge on the kagekiyo is awesome. When I first used mine dicing up onions, I had this stupid smile on my face while cutting away. Ever since then my Kagekiyo Blue 1 became part of my work daily knives. Enjoy the knife man. 👍🏼

New Knife Day! Sakai Kikumori Choyo 240mm Ginsan. Amazing fit and finish. My favorite part of this knife is the Mirror polish finish! 😍🔪 I wasn’t going to share this yet until I was done taking out and replacing the Ho Handle but I said screw it! I’ll be doing a handle swap on this maybe next week. The new handle will definitely make this knife look better when it’s already nice as is. 🙂
4A50E11F-2613-4DB9-B659-0577127DA1A3.jpeg
9A3795D2-5E85-4DCE-A94C-100BC1C8AF5F.jpeg
DF161236-9D88-4634-BF0B-32134ABAB74F.jpeg
69664346-D703-4019-A7C9-DC8862B7B0DD.jpeg
F159553A-FD32-4A34-B95E-3FDFAABE6154.jpeg

Start with 240 finish at 800 - sand heel to tip - then go to fingerstones or King 800 mud on a felt pad for the Kasumi.
Can always leave the stock handle on if you’re sanding. I think the stock handles look pretty good if you scorch them with a hand torch ( wrap the ferrule in a couple layers of aluminum foil)
View attachment 201508

I wonder what the guys from TakadaNoHamono would do with it. Suiboku Kato ... OMG ... but yours is looking great!

Back