Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest buy. 210 Denka. I still have stuff on order with TF directly but seeing as the last I heard from them it's going to be another 6+ months after already being very late from the original quote, I haven't responded to them yet to decide to cancel or whatever.

Took a chance and snagged this for a decent price. It's supposed to be brand new. No scratch and dent. Just brand new. Certainly doesn't look like it. I currently own over 20 high end Japanese knives and I've only ever returned one item, which ironically enough was the only other item I've ever purchased from the same shop I got this Denka from. I personally think this knife looks straight up used. Not even a scratch and dent cuz I don't believe for one second it left the factory like this. I already have another Denka, it looks nothing like this. This looks like something someone previously owned and they like thinned out themselves, scratching up the stuff, and losing some height. The knife doesn't seem as tall as it should be either, closer to 45 mm than it is to the 52 mm which was claimed. Shame cuz these ain't easy to get and I want one and the overall grind on this this busted up guy looks very nice and thin and even. I'm not pleased atm, feel like I wasted my time, again, after giving this shop a second chance.

edit: I did some more examining and scratch that point I made on it being even. It's straight up warped in my opinion. The way i assess that is by laying the blade flat against a true flat surface. I'm gonna upload a picture of it siting on a magnetic block next to a zdp laser I own and you'll see what I mean. feel like the seller might try to justify this by citing the reputation for these knives to have poor fit and finish, but I don't buy that. The poor fit and finish I've seen on this is mostly just the way the western stye handles are sloppily constructed, which I don't even mind and I can almost by into the notion that it's charming and perhaps done that way intentionally. What do you guys think, am I wrong? Am I crazy? I'd love some feedback.

That's my assessment, what do you guys think? Would you be satisfied considering what these cost?
I'm not an expert but this knife looks like it's been used then polished up on a belt sander to look new.

I'm not an expert but this knife looks like it's been used then polished up on a belt sander to look new.
That's pretty much exactly what I thought. Looks either heavily used or someone like bought it previously and tried to thin it by hand or something, scratching it up in the process, then the shop took it back and resold it? Like how does that even happen? It was sold as brand new. Not even a scratch and dent item. Not to sound straight up cooky at this point but just a side note that may or may not be relevant, the original shipping on this item was canceled. Then it went out under a different label. Could just be a glitch and even mentioning this detail might make me seem deranged or paranoid but at this point my antennas are up, so I'm gonna mention it. Not like I've named the shop or anything.

Latest buy. 210 Denka. I still have stuff on order with TF directly but seeing as the last I heard from them it's going to be another 6+ months after already being very late from the original quote, I haven't responded to them yet to decide to cancel or whatever.

Took a chance and snagged this for a decent price. It's supposed to be brand new. No scratch and dent. Just brand new. Certainly doesn't look like it. I currently own over 20 high end Japanese knives and I've only ever returned one item, which ironically enough was the only other item I've ever purchased from the same shop I got this Denka from. I personally think this knife looks straight up used. Not even a scratch and dent cuz I don't believe for one second it left the factory like this. I already have another Denka, it looks nothing like this. This looks like something someone previously owned and they like thinned out themselves, scratching up the stuff, and losing some height. The knife doesn't seem as tall as it should be either, closer to 45 mm than it is to the 52 mm which was claimed. Shame cuz these ain't easy to get and I want one and the overall grind on this this busted up guy looks very nice and thin and even. I'm not pleased atm, feel like I wasted my time, again, after giving this shop a second chance.

edit: I did some more examining and scratch that point I made on it being even. It's straight up warped in my opinion. The way i assess that is by laying the blade flat against a true flat surface. I'm gonna upload a picture of it siting on a magnetic block next to a zdp laser I own and you'll see what I mean. feel like the seller might try to justify this by citing the reputation for these knives to have poor fit and finish, but I don't buy that. The poor fit and finish I've seen on this is mostly just the way the western stye handles are sloppily constructed, which I don't even mind and I can almost by into the notion that it's charming and perhaps done that way intentionally. What do you guys think, am I wrong? Am I crazy? I'd love some feedback.

That's my assessment, what do you guys think? Would you be satisfied considering what these cost? If the general consensus is that I'm off base, I'll just shut up and be happy. But if 90+% of people who respond are on the "hell naw" train, then I'm sending it back, and probably never attempting to do business with said shop again, cuz 2 for 2 on headaches might as well be a strikeout in my book. Like I've purchased over 20 similar items for 5-6 other sellers, never once had issues or considered a return. I value my time, and so does anyone that hires me cuz it ain't cheap, ya feel me. It's the time suck that aggravates me. If the knife wasn't "off" I probably wouldn't even have posted about it.

This definitely falls within the TF spectrum of BNIB wabi sabi. Going off about the knife being previously owned or thinned is a stretch.. That being said I don't think it'd be unreasonable to return it if you're unhappy.

This definitely falls within the TF spectrum of BNIB wabi sabi. That being said I don't think it'd be unreasonable to return it if you're unhappy.
I'm not an unreasonable person, at least I don't think. If the consensus is this is within reason for the item I purchased, then I will live with it. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not an unreasonable person, at least I don't think. If the consensus is this is within reason for the item I purchased, then I will live with it. I appreciate the feedback.

"...within reason for the item..." Doesn't mean you have to live with it.

That's my assessment, what do you guys think? Would you be satisfied considering what these cost? If the general consensus is that I'm off base, I'll just shut up and be happy. But if 90+% of people who respond are on the "hell naw" train, then I'm sending it back, and probably never attempting to do business with said shop again, cuz 2 for 2 on headaches might as well be a strikeout in my book. Like I've purchased over 20 similar items for 5-6 other sellers, never once had issues or considered a return. I value my time, and so does anyone that hires me cuz it ain't cheap, ya feel me. It's the time suck that aggravates me. If the knife wasn't "off" I probably wouldn't even have posted about it.
Oh man that is definetely on the rough side even by tf standards. I will say the scratches look consistant with overgrinds on a couple i own. Ive seen ones with ku damage out of the box but never had one personally. That said this is definetely in rough shape even by tf standards. Id give the seller benefit of the doubt on it being new but that said in my opinion in that kinda shape it should be discounted or at least made known to buyers

Mr. Itou Gyuto with stabilized maple handle and Kisuke Manaka ATS34 Bunka :) .

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_154411.jpg
    IMG_20221202_154411.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This was a trade from the forum rather than a buy but I'm pretty impressed. This is a sweet knife from hyde handmade. It's a big boy 250x63 26c3 core steel. I freshened up the edge really quick and it went through a paper towel like nothing. I think this one's going to be a keeper.

Attachments

• PXL_20221203_015330807.jpg
    PXL_20221203_015330807.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221203_015343157.jpg
    PXL_20221203_015343157.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Took a chance and snagged this for a decent price. It's supposed to be brand new. No scratch and dent. Just brand new. Certainly doesn't look like it. I currently own over 20 (edit: it's 25, including this) high end Japanese knives and I've only ever returned one item, which ironically enough was the only other item I've ever purchased from the same shop I got this Denka from. I personally think this knife looks straight up used. Not even a scratch and dent cuz I don't believe for one second it left the factory like this. I already have another Denka, it looks nothing like this. This looks like something someone previously owned and they like thinned out themselves, scratching up the stuff, and losing some height. The knife doesn't seem as tall as it should be either, closer to 45 mm than it is to the 52 mm which was claimed. Shame cuz these ain't easy to get and I want one and the overall grind on this this busted up guy looks decent and thin and even. I'm not pleased atm, feel like I wasted my time, again, after giving this shop a second chance. I feel like the seller might try to justify this by citing the reputation for these knives to have poor fit and finish.. The poor fit and finish I've seen on this is mostly just the way the western stye handles are sloppily constructed, which I don't even mind and I can almost by into the notion that it's charming and perhaps done that way intentionally. What do you guys think, am I wrong? Am I crazy? I'd love some feedback.

That's my assessment, what do you guys think? Would you be satisfied considering what these cost? If the general consensus is that I'm off base, I'll just shut up and be happy. But if 90+% of people who respond are on the "hell naw" train, then I'm sending it back, and probably never attempting to do business with said shop again, cuz 2 for 2 on headaches might as well be a strikeout in my book. Like I've purchased over 20 similar items (edit: I did a headcount, this was number 25) from 5-6 sellers other than this particular shop, never once had issues or really even considered a return much less sent one back. It's the time suck that aggravates me. If the knife wasn't "off" I probably wouldn't even have posted about it.
Doesn't look used to me. I'd say it's typical of tf f&f.

I'd check to see that there's decent amount of core exposed along the entire edge on both sides.

Look down the spine of the blade from the butt of the handle, and make sure it doesn't veer off in one direction or the other. Flip the knife upside down and do the same for the edge. Then turn the knife around and check spine and edge alignment from the pointy side looking toward the handle.

You can check the grind by laying a credit card along the blade face, perpendicular to the edge. Rock it back and forth at various points along the blade and check to see where light peeks through. It will give you an idea of where the blade is convex, concave, or flat. And see if that's to the level of consistency that you expect.

Hatsukokoro Shinkiro 240mm gyuto from Homebutcher that arrived two nights ago. I agree with the F&F complaints that @superworrier had in his post a while ago, and I have a couple of other very minor complaints, but I am really happy with it so far. It cuts really smoothly and has a nice tip that is thin but not fragile. The cladding is not too reactive, which is nice.

~248mm x 50mm
247g

05B6BF96-A1C0-4E26-8A4E-11AECED14414.jpeg2DCE2E49-DEA1-46FC-9A94-6B6AE3FA4F2B.jpeg3293CE94-E643-4B6D-BDED-FFBCAE72097D.jpeg390BFBC7-6340-42D5-A60C-6C2FDB523FE9.jpeg1BBC6DC0-8624-4A6A-B976-F93DC28DD099.jpeg6B66D64A-D012-4DAF-A9EE-F32CAD676257.jpeg

Raquin KT 215x53 @ 175g

Was lucky enough to snag this off his webstore drop. Feels great in hand.

Only question is about the handle. Never had a burnt oak handle before and was wondering if the burnt particles should still be coming of the handle. Just a few wipes made most of the excess material come off but should I seal it with something or just oil it up. Not really sure. It smells great though….

D10D5D7A-5F82-4B3D-933C-DC07B52FCF0B.jpeg
B92596F7-F73C-4874-BA12-9BC432C593F5.jpeg
CD8C08A9-92A8-4922-AEA4-75FD4980ADDF.jpeg
64171839-6304-46E0-8A5A-61EF52AEB1E8.jpeg
5B00257E-34FE-4F7F-9B61-B657F316E699.jpeg
07522257-3709-4A4F-B8C0-ECD86DF0533E.jpeg

Took a chance and snagged this for a decent price. It's supposed to be brand new. No scratch and dent. Just brand new. Certainly doesn't look like it. I currently own over 20 (edit: it's 25, including this) high end Japanese knives and I've only ever returned one item, which ironically enough was the only other item I've ever purchased from the same shop I got this Denka from. I personally think this knife looks straight up used. Not even a scratch and dent cuz I don't believe for one second it left the factory like this. I already have another Denka, it looks nothing like this. This looks like something someone previously owned and they like thinned out themselves, scratching up the stuff, and losing some height. The knife doesn't seem as tall as it should be either, closer to 45 mm than it is to the 52 mm which was claimed. Shame cuz these ain't easy to get and I want one and the overall grind on this this busted up guy looks decent and thin and even. I'm not pleased atm, feel like I wasted my time, again, after giving this shop a second chance. I feel like the seller might try to justify this by citing the reputation for these knives to have poor fit and finish.. The poor fit and finish I've seen on this is mostly just the way the western stye handles are sloppily constructed, which I don't even mind and I can almost by into the notion that it's charming and perhaps done that way intentionally. What do you guys think, am I wrong? Am I crazy? I'd love some feedback.

That's my assessment, what do you guys think? Would you be satisfied considering what these cost? If the general consensus is that I'm off base, I'll just shut up and be happy. But if 90+% of people who respond are on the "hell naw" train, then I'm sending it back, and probably never attempting to do business with said shop again, cuz 2 for 2 on headaches might as well be a strikeout in my book. Like I've purchased over 20 similar items (edit: I did a headcount, this was number 25) from 5-6 sellers other than this particular shop, never once had issues or really even considered a return much less sent one back. It's the time suck that aggravates me. If the knife wasn't "off" I probably wouldn't even have posted about it.
Courtlier?

Last edited:
Yes very much. Just arrived a few days ago and only used it tonight to make French onion soup, but it’s sexy as hell in person and is instantly building a crazy patina.

Back