Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look used to me. I'd say it's typical of tf f&f.

I'd check to see that there's decent amount of core exposed along the entire edge on both sides.

Look down the spine of the blade from the butt of the handle, and make sure it doesn't veer off in one direction or the other. Flip the knife upside down and do the same for the edge. Then turn the knife around and check spine and edge alignment from the pointy side looking toward the handle.

You can check the grind by laying a credit card along the blade face, perpendicular to the edge. Rock it back and forth at various points along the blade and check to see where light peeks through. It will give you an idea of where the blade is convex, concave, or flat. And see if that's to the level of consistency that you expect.
Agreed. Nothing to see here. Typical TF wabisabiism. As for the marks on the Ku finish? Take a look at examples of Kato Ku blades. I don't hear anyone returning their knives for an inconsistency in the Ku skin. In fact I think its a sign of originality and authenticity, being a product of forging not an application of faux Ku paint.

@gc0220 Post a choil shot.

Last edited:
Mazaki 240mm Gyuto Kurouchi finish. Best OTB sharpness I've seen. I cut up some meat and didn't notice any patina forming at all which is VERY odd for W#2. I don't see any lacquer finish either.

View attachment 212733
View attachment 212735
View attachment 212734

View attachment 212736
Like the look of that knife. I saw Mazaki blades on JCK without handle. Black Nashiji
White 2 steel. Looks like yours has distal taper meaning a thinner tip. The choil shows beef thinner behind the edge. The rough KU looks awesome. Haven't had any experience with Mazaki blades.

Tetsujin kasumi, 232x53, 158g, nice and thin, Black Friday purchase from ProTooling. I asked them for the tallest one and was happy to see it's 53mm. And happy to see some nice banding! Looking forward to using this.
Tetsujin_profile.jpg
Tetsujin_banding.jpg
Tetsujin_choil.jpg

Hopped on the Munetoshi 240 wagon for a ride. I've only cut some carrots but I'm really pleased, it feels kind of like a beefier Kochi though the heel has more curve so it flows all the way through cuts really comfortably. Came sharp enough to shave hair out of the box. Side by sides with my Kochi 240 for reference. I'm excited to go squash bustin with this one

20221208_160722.jpg

20221208_161426.jpg

Attachments

• 20221208_161426.jpg
    20221208_161426.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 0
Hopped on the Munetoshi 240 wagon for a ride. I've only cut some carrots but I'm really pleased, it feels kind of like a beefier Kochi though the heel has more curve so it flows all the way through cuts really comfortably. Came sharp enough to shave hair out of the box. Side by sides with my Kochi 240 for reference. I'm excited to go squash bustin with this one

View attachment 212937

View attachment 212939

Looks awesome! Man I love munetoshi. Amazing value for $

View attachment 212937

View attachment 212939
no cracking on carrots? I have the same Kochi so I'm curious to how they compare... was hesitant to buy a Mune due to reviews saying it's a bit wedgy

no cracking on carrots? I have the same Kochi so I'm curious to how they compare... was hesitant to buy a Mune due to reviews saying it's a bit wedgy
No cracking carrots but I also only had the fairly small TJs ones not the biggins from the farmers market I like to use for wedge tests. I want to set a meat patina before getting in to my usual heavy onion/shallot/garlic diet but it does taper pretty nicely.

The Kochi has a flatter profile in the back third and the Munetoshi is a better rocker. I had to sand spine and choil immediately, it was particularly sharp, the handle is comfortable enough though.

I, too, have suffered from Tanaka-itis.
I too have Tanaka-itis…..
My first “oh wow” knife was a tsubaya KU 240 wide bevel gyuto in blue 1 from @marc4pt0. I sold it due to my higher heel height preference and have missed that steel ever since.
Last year I bought second hand but bnib a Konosuke branded Y Tanaka 330mm yanagiba in white 1 that was never used.
I recently bought a migoto wide bevel in blue 1 because of how much I missed his blue 1, then almost immediately bought this, and have other Y Tanaka items I’m semi-actively looking for….
I’ve got it bad I fear. My knife roll will be all Y Tanaka except for my munetoshi butcher at this rate.

Attachments

• 6268F8C9-9DF1-4648-8AEA-105F14965135.jpeg
    6268F8C9-9DF1-4648-8AEA-105F14965135.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My first 450mm knife.
Shiroyama Sujihiki Supersteel Honyaki
Not sure what kind of supersteel used, mirror polished.
Anyone has any experience with Shiroyama knives?

Attachments

• 318324463_171937242119225_1554372038103513421_n.jpg
    318324463_171937242119225_1554372038103513421_n.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 318482520_5648198018600429_1990082357548689998_n.jpg
    318482520_5648198018600429_1990082357548689998_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
Well... I myself am surprised this has fallen into my lap: Moritaka AS 270 Gyuto.
4H2A4441.jpg

Ooooh but yes I do see what you mean about the KU… this one has Moritaka KU vibes to me. Which is honestly a huge compliment because Moritakas KU finish is incredible and super smooth.
Tyler wrote this about another knife. I have to say I had forgotten how nice Moritaka's KU can look when it's new. The combination of shiny-smooth with the small "rice grain" pattern is very attractive. The reason I had forgotten it is, of course, that it isn't very durable in the first place. So best not to get too attached to it 😈

Got it from @TokushuKnife - all great experience. He told me that it has a chip at the heel and wanted to fix it, but I was very eager to get it as is, since I bought it as a project knife anyhow. So I got it as is for a great price. Thanks at the vendor - great communication and just a perfect purchase.

Steel is as great as my AS Nakiri. Just wave a whetstone in front of it and it will already be super sharp. It's also much less unwieldy than I had thought.
I'm not a big fan of the low shinogi at all... but I knew it would be like that.

So here's the ambitious plan: Get it a bevel like the Togashi KTip came with, and it will be a lot of fun. An hour or so on stones should do it...

4H2A4475.jpg

... I'm joking. I have no idea how to pull this off, but I will attempt it :D

Back