Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t stop won’t stop. These are beasts…..

The.9nine

240x55mm, 277g, soft iron over Blue 2

200x54mm, 239g, twisted soft iron over Blue 1
E7024729-7716-4DF4-96E4-4A4E13500E0E.jpeg

1383C114-ECA1-4DF9-B46B-3BC540418678.jpeg
847270A9-25C3-4F9E-A94D-070F71358282.jpeg
F1AE5D22-C81C-496E-A80E-5EA84D39C561.jpeg
300B3F78-DB23-4033-924F-89AAE5DD1842.jpeg
F310B41C-7925-4029-944D-DEA814F350AE.jpeg
67F7DF33-6EE4-482E-9BBD-3B07DFCFA2A4.jpeg
4CC47769-41FE-4F41-BD88-EC21D532FC4B.jpeg
21F6725F-6663-44C7-9533-6CC8D3DCF453.jpeg

Just got a new Denka straight from Japan. Never seen this before but the spine is... different. It's like they started to round it off but stopped halfway through one side lol. Also theres no KU over the spine. Weird right? Or is this just how it is... now? Always an adventure with this knife lol. The handle had a very nice tapered tang on it tho and the fit up is actually quite good for this knife. My other western handle one seemed like the super blue core was in the handle too. That's kinda neat. Anyway, has anyone seen this before or what the heck did they send me lol.

The knife is heavier and not as nicely balanced as the Japanese handled one. This particular one has the quirks I mentioned with the spine, but also it's quite thick at the spine, not much taper, the geometry and grind itself isn't bad tho. But it's thick at the spine and not a lot of taper idk.

Attachments

• Denka (3).jpeg
    Denka (3).jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Denka (8).jpeg
    Denka (8).jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Denka (7).jpeg
    Denka (7).jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Denka (6).jpeg
    Denka (6).jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Denka (5).jpeg
    Denka (5).jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Denka (4).jpeg
    Denka (4).jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Denka (2).jpeg
    Denka (2).jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • Denka (1).jpeg
    Denka (1).jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 0
Fun week of new knife arrivals ranging from 255mm - 274mm. Now if I could just get some time to really play with the new toys:

View attachment 230119

The governing council of the Global Rectangle Owners (aka "Grow") may allow that middle sample into the All Rectangle March project.

You can contact @BillHanna, @Jville, and/or @tostadas for clarification and final decision.

The governing council of the Global Rectangle Owners (aka "Grow") may allow that middle sample into the All Rectangle March project.

You can contact @BillHanna, @Jville, and/or @tostadas for clarification and final decision.
Although it does look fairly rectangular, in spirit and composition it is Takedas version of a kirtsuke. Also there is still a nose( long and flattish but still a nose), so my vote is no. His nakiris and cleavers are, of course, welcome.

Although it does look fairly rectangular, in spirit and composition it is Takedas version of a kirtsuke. Also there is still a nose( long and flattish but still a nose), so my vote is no. His nakiris and cleavers are, of course, welcome.
This is fair. Frankly, given the outcome of a previous submission that was found to have a substandard quantity of 90° angles, I simply wasn't prepared for another such round of rejection. I have to concur that this has one slightly acute and one slightly obtuse angle and as such did not warrant submission for consideration. Never the less, it has had the shoulders knocked down by the previous owner and I will take solace in the slaying of cabbage with it. :)

This is fair. Frankly, given the outcome of a previous submission that was found to have a substandard quantity of 90° angles, I simply wasn't prepared for another such round of rejection. I have to concur that this has one slightly acute and one slightly obtuse angle and as such did not warrant submission for consideration. Never the less, it has had the shoulders knocked down by the previous owner and I will take solace in the slaying of cabbage with it. :)
Slay away… I wonder does it share the sturdiness trait with Takeda rectangles? All five Takeda rectangles( both classic and NAS) I have had were all sturdy and stiff. The one gyuto(classic) I had was kind of flimsy.

Last edited:
Slay away… I wonder does it share the sturdiness trait with Takeda rectangles? All five Takeda rectangles( both classic and NAS) I have had were all sturdy and stiff. The one gyuto(classic) I had was kind of flimsy.
No, it is incredibly thin even compared to other Takeda's and has a fair bit of flex. I just have one classic gyuto to compare to which feels a good bit stiffer than this one. We'll see how that thinness and flex feel over time.

Today I received my newest add on to my collection. A Raquin 240 mm Gyuto. Can anyone tell me why it looks like it has a left s-grind almost like its ment for a left-handed user?
Sometimes the heel is a bit misleading on a forged geometry knife, there’s a good chance that bias doesn’t continue thru the bevels.

Back