Show your newest knife try :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first TF in hand, belongs to @Carl Kotte . I know that Calle has done a "light fixing" with the blade. First impressions are very good for how it cuts and the handle suites well for the blade. It came with nice edge so I havent test it on the stones yet.

IMG_20201008_133253.jpg

Don't want to hurt "feelings" you know 😂.

Edit. It was a mess from the videos that Calle showed me when he got it. So very impressive work from Calle.

Received a sweet package from a friend recently including these knives for a loan

The.9 massive honyaki in W2
IMG_20201023_090229.jpg
IMG_20201023_090259.jpg
IMG_20201023_090524.jpg

Munetoshi honyaki 240 after some thinning and polishing (this one comes from a different friend but via the same route)

IMG_20201023_090832.jpg
IMG_20201023_090808.jpg
IMG_20201023_090822.jpg

And a knife made by said friend with help from Robert Trimanchi

IMG_20201023_091155.jpg
IMG_20201023_091145.jpg
IMG_20201023_091216.jpg
IMG_20201023_091227.jpg

Testing this loaner from Steel by Lundbergs. Spine cracked a bit in heat treat, so he did a rough finish of the knife. I think it looks awesome. Steel is TWR Böhler and edge retention seems really good. Knife is about 250*55 and I’m genuinely impressed with it.

E328C83C-402B-457F-93A2-2F883267D7D9.jpeg

B8A5A7ED-0E71-44AE-ABB8-4EE6524E4881.jpeg

8F0931D5-6766-469E-A9C0-DFD33097E3AE.jpeg

0FF99300-0417-49EF-BE1C-516E0AF22D7E.jpeg

Trying this PA Isasmedjan 222*52@200 gyuto. It’s lost some height and is somewhat thick behind the edge. The steel 1.2519, seems to be very good.

FA6CB5BA-F251-42BB-8DBC-037EE25E886B.jpeg
AFAD82DA-C184-4BDB-9CA6-40A688F5EB27.jpeg
DABDA4EC-47DB-4195-8C33-7CBB53E8E6AF.jpeg
8C5DF8F4-FD28-484F-A262-CAA382072039.jpeg

as in better?
Not for me- but it’s probably a great fit for someone else. Others of his I’ve seen were a lot lighter and thinner, and this one is substantial for a 220. And as you know- I’m a big guy, big hands, so the handle is a bit small, but I think it’d be a bit small for someone with normal hands as well as it’s proportionally small for how sturdy it’s built. Cuts well, very forward balance (to be expected given the above notes), but it struck me how I’m really into natural feeling blades using this one. For instance: Comet (Trey) was a chef, so his honyaki almost ‘disappears’ into your hand, like it’s such a natural feeling using his blades, and could say the same for Maz 220, a few others. This one just felt awkward (for me) from the moment I picked it up. I will say the owner has stated that it’s grown on him.

Not for me- but it’s probably a great fit for someone else. Others of his I’ve seen were a lot lighter and thinner, and this one is substantial for a 220. And as you know- I’m a big guy, big hands, so the handle is a bit small, but I think it’d be a bit small for someone with normal hands as well as it’s proportionally small for how sturdy it’s built. Cuts well, very forward balance (to be expected given the above notes), but it struck me how I’m really into natural feeling blades using this one. For instance: Comet (Trey) was a chef, so his honyaki almost ‘disappears’ into your hand, like it’s such a natural feeling using his blades, and could say the same for Maz 220, a few others. This one just felt awkward (for me) from the moment I picked it up. I will say the owner has stated that it’s grown on him.
Ah, the great KKF community strikes again! Awesome that you got to try the exact knife that you wanted to try! There are some generous people around here. 🥳

I have a 240 version of the same knife and I absolutely love it. However, to me too, it did feel somewhat awkward the moment I picked it up. It was very unlike other knives I’ve tried. Balance and the overall forward heaviness was a bit overwhelming. Not love at first touch; more like love at 60 dates in. It paid off for me.

Ah, the great KKF community strikes again! Awesome that you got to try the exact knife that you wanted to try! There are some generous people around here. 🥳

I have a 240 version of the same knife and I absolutely love it. However, to me too, it did feel somewhat awkward the moment I picked it up. It was very unlike other knives I’ve tried. Balance and the overall forward heaviness was a bit overwhelming. Not love at first touch; more like love at 60 dates in. It paid off for me.
Yeah, it’s pretty remarkable, this community takes care of its own. Lucky to have folks who are so generous with their time and collections!

I see how a 240 may make more sense in this knife, but can’t imagine what a beast that one must be. But again- the owner had an almost identical reaction to yours: felt awkward but steadily grew on him. It’s funny though, this knife really made me think about my relationship to knives in general. It’s so different to anything I’ve ever owned.

Speaking of knives I’ve ‘tried’, those 2 honyaki from the Robert (the n9ne) pass-around were SICK. As a matter of fact they’re with Velgard as we speak and featured a few comments back in this thread. All shapes and sizes as they say.

almost ‘disappears’ into your hand, like it’s such a natural feeling
When I hear that, I have two opposite thoughts:

1. Maybe that's an ideal situation.

2. Maybe it mostly means "feels pretty much like other knives I'm already familiar with".

A knife "disappears into your hand" partly because it's well designed, but I think a major part of the "disappearance" is that such a knife never surprises you (other than general things like it's very sharp or it's easy to use).

If a knife DOES surprise you, you have at least three possible reactions: it's a good surprise, let me keep using it; it's a bad surprise, the knife is no good; OR I don't care if this surprise is good or bad, I'd just rather avoid surprises.

When I hear that, I have two opposite thoughts:

1. Maybe that's an ideal situation.

2. Maybe it mostly means "feels pretty much like other knives I'm already familiar with".

A knife "disappears into your hand" partly because it's well designed, but I think a major part of the "disappearance" is that such a knife never surprises you (other than general things like it's very sharp or it's easy to use).

If a knife DOES surprise you, you have at least three possible reactions: it's a good surprise, let me keep using it; it's a bad surprise, the knife is no good; OR I don't care if this surprise is good or bad, I'd just rather avoid surprises.
All good points. What’s actually pretty awesome is that this knife really got me thinking. Which is pretty rare these days for me. I had thought about questioning why some work so well for me- and to not fear stepping out of my comfort zone to try something new and not be too quick to judgement. I am safely at a point now where I know what works for me- I’ve tried/owned about everything out there at this point. If this stayed with me for longer my perception may change.

Now that I’m not in pro kitchens anymore, I’m not rotating through a kit on a daily basis so my scope and needs have gone from a tornado to a laser beam. If I even cook, I’m really only reaching for a handful of ol’ reliables at this point. As the Dude says- ‘How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus.’

Back