Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't tried this on anything crazy. But I used it to sharpen 20 cheap stainless community kitchen knives and about another half dozen Wusthofs, Vic's, and Kanehides. It did it's thing very quickly with no fuss. Deburred on a soft ark. They were all slicing paper towel in no time. Very toothy edge. Surprisingly good sharpening feeling and feedback.
For you, did it seem much easier to get good results, compared to regular sharpening stones?

For really cheap stainless. Yes. I won't be going back to normal water/oil stones.
Yup. I don't know why, but diamonds are the key to cheap stainless. They also make sharpening Global knives tolerable.

The Naniwa diamond stones are pricey, but the best resin-bonded diamonds I know, for sharpening. I can't swear they do a better job than the excellent Venevs, but I can say that they feel a lot better doing it.

do you feel the 600 grit is fast enough for this application, or you wish you had the 400? I’m looking at these but haven’t decided which grit…
The 600 is good for my application. There usually isn't much damage. The knives are just dull from being banged around and run through the commercial dish machine often. I don't do any thinning. Just clean the bevel a bit every few weeks.

PXL_20230313_111211416.jpg

The 600 is good for my application. There usually isn't much damage. The knives are just dull from being banged around and run through the commercial dish machine often. I don't do any thinning. Just clean the bevel a bit every few weeks.

View attachment 231676
Does that steel hold a edge at 15 degrees?

View attachment 231676
That parer with man eating watermelons on it😍

Ok M... what are your secrets to stop them from loading/glazing?

The ones I've had/used all had a somewhat irritating tendency to immediately stop working if I even thought about sharpening a knife within about 200m of them.

(Apart from the 400. That was pretty decent).

Ok M... what are your secrets to stop them from loading/glazing?

The ones I've had/used all had a somewhat irritating tendency to immediately stop working if I even thought about sharpening a knife within about 200m of them.

(Apart from the 400. That was pretty decent).
No clue. I just got it and ran my Chopper King across it a few times. Maybe @stringer has some advice.

I posted a couple weeks ago asking for reccomendations for a starter set of stonnes. Y'all were very helpful but I may have gone a tad overboard. So here's the current state. Shapton Pro 320, 1K, 2K, 5K, 11K (that last one for razors). Shapton Glass 500, Atoma diamond 140 and a two sided leather strop. This doesn't include the slow wet grinding wheel with an additional leather strop out in the garage for lathe tools that can also do any major reshaping. I also have a couple rust erasers to use as dressing stones on the way. I think I'm good for my starter set. I feel like this group can probably understand going overboard.

Attachments

• 20230325_112417.jpg
    20230325_112417.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I posted a couple weeks ago asking for reccomendations for a starter set of stonnes. Y'all were very helpful but I may have gone a tad overboard. So here's the current state. Shapton Pro 320, 1K, 2K, 5K, 11K (that last one for razors). Shapton Glass 500, Atoma diamond 140 and a two sided leather strop. This doesn't include the slow wet grinding wheel with an additional leather strop out in the garage for lathe tools that can also do any major reshaping. I also have a couple rust erasers to use as dressing stones on the way. I think I'm good for my starter set. I feel like this group can probably understand going overboard.
Now that you have your starter set picked out you can begin working on your intermediate set. You have made good progress so far. But the sharpening journey is long and expensive. :p

Back