Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
I was curious about SG HC vs HR, so I ordered a 4000 HC and a 8000 HC – the grey ones supposedly preferable for carbon, 50603 and 50803.

They arrived today with a usage note in Japanese. I'll share that for posterity, plus the Google Translate version.

Stones from left to right, 2000 HR, 4000 HC, 8000 HC.

The difference between the HC gray and white stones in use is this:

HC is slower, maybe 30-50%

felt hardness is the same.

HC polishes a step above its stated grit, similar to naniwa SS.
HC 6k produces "a 10k polish"

HC feels a bit weird, those colored specks in the stones are either more slippery or more grabby than the rest of the stone.
this feels like you have very tiny more grabby pieces in the stone. you get a stuttering effect, well it feels like that at least. on a small scale.

HC and HR cut the same steels equally good. but HC is slower since its polishes more.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
its not exactly sharpening gear per se. but its abrasives. mostly for finishing stuff like razors and such.

suehiro diamond plate. this one kinda sucks. its dualsided so at least it has that going for it. but an atoma is probably a better deal.
it started rusting on the bottom when i put it up next to a wall for drying. lol.

2 alox sticks. cheap ones. for deburring stuff.

diamond wheel to run in a drill (diy mount obviously). these ones are industrial coated stuff meant to grind tungsten carbide, not plated ****.
i think they are a few hundred each originally.
i will use these to round spines and creating TF type finger choils. and round these off.

3m axial bristle discs for roloc holders. these are good for removing rust and finishing. there are 3 grits. they are good because they follow hollow surfaces such as on razors. the finest one still produce too coarse finish for razors imo.

3m radial bristle discs also for finishing. they are originally made for paint/rust removal and weld cleaning in corners. these can create that factory look on razors.
i run these in a 0-3000rpm drill.

(both these 2 above are quite interesting, its basically cubitron2 abrasives molded in plastic)

3m scotchbrite discs for roloc holders. these come in 4 different grits. also good for rust removal. faster than the axial ones, but they also clog up/wear out very fast. you might get a few minutes out of one.
the finest one could theoretically be used to finish razors. if you have low quality standards that is.

:)

new tools.JPG

Pie

Reaction score
3E1E00CD-D12F-45FC-AD70-38F8DF768352.jpeg

New batch of koppa - ozuku suita and 2x nakayama. I’m pretty sure all of them will need bases, the nakayama especially. The mottled kiita is interesting - it came as a raw unflattened chunk, but the pinks and whites are most definitely there. Started work on it this morning, really really soft. I have no reference point for nakayama stones but the kan is quite hard and fine and this one self slurries easily. Unusually creamy/smooth, the both of them.
A627FE12-55BA-4A8D-9DA1-78BD0F929464.jpeg

2C90FB61-AFF9-485C-8D1B-F0DB03FC4558.jpeg

cotedupy

Reaction score
Great stone! I sold mine almost 3 months ago. Far too fine for my applications.

Tis indeed a very good stone :). And I think quite unusual too in a geological/petrological sense. But yes, as you say, effectively useless for knife sharpening.

Hope you got a good price for yours! They've become a bit sought after in the razor community I think - I've had a couple of people asking how to get one, now that they're not generally available anymore.

KingShapton

Reaction score
Tis indeed a very good stone :). And I think quite unusual too in a geological/petrological sense. But yes, as you say, effectively useless for knife sharpening.

Hope you got a good price for yours! They've become a bit sought after in the razor community I think - I've had a couple of people asking how to get one, now that they're not generally available anymore.
I am happy with the price. And even more, it is important to me that I know that some stones that are difficult to obtain are in good hands.

I now have a handful of contacts who appreciate exactly the stones that are too fine for me - both sides are satisfied in terms of price, I have little effort with the sale, the mutual trust is based on good experiences and the bottom line is that everyone involved is happy. It doesn't get any better!