Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious about SG HC vs HR, so I ordered a 4000 HC and a 8000 HC – the grey ones supposedly preferable for carbon, 50603 and 50803.

They arrived today with a usage note in Japanese. I'll share that for posterity, plus the Google Translate version.

Stones from left to right, 2000 HR, 4000 HC, 8000 HC.

The difference between the HC gray and white stones in use is this:

HC is slower, maybe 30-50%

felt hardness is the same.

HC polishes a step above its stated grit, similar to naniwa SS.
HC 6k produces "a 10k polish"

HC feels a bit weird, those colored specks in the stones are either more slippery or more grabby than the rest of the stone.
this feels like you have very tiny more grabby pieces in the stone. you get a stuttering effect, well it feels like that at least. on a small scale.

HC and HR cut the same steels equally good. but HC is slower since its polishes more.

its not exactly sharpening gear per se. but its abrasives. mostly for finishing stuff like razors and such.

suehiro diamond plate. this one kinda sucks. its dualsided so at least it has that going for it. but an atoma is probably a better deal.
it started rusting on the bottom when i put it up next to a wall for drying. lol.

2 alox sticks. cheap ones. for deburring stuff.

diamond wheel to run in a drill (diy mount obviously). these ones are industrial coated stuff meant to grind tungsten carbide, not plated ****.
i think they are a few hundred each originally.
i will use these to round spines and creating TF type finger choils. and round these off.

3m axial bristle discs for roloc holders. these are good for removing rust and finishing. there are 3 grits. they are good because they follow hollow surfaces such as on razors. the finest one still produce too coarse finish for razors imo.

3m radial bristle discs also for finishing. they are originally made for paint/rust removal and weld cleaning in corners. these can create that factory look on razors.
i run these in a 0-3000rpm drill.

(both these 2 above are quite interesting, its basically cubitron2 abrasives molded in plastic)

3m scotchbrite discs for roloc holders. these come in 4 different grits. also good for rust removal. faster than the axial ones, but they also clog up/wear out very fast. you might get a few minutes out of one.
the finest one could theoretically be used to finish razors. if you have low quality standards that is.

:)

new tools.JPG

3E1E00CD-D12F-45FC-AD70-38F8DF768352.jpeg

New batch of koppa - ozuku suita and 2x nakayama. I’m pretty sure all of them will need bases, the nakayama especially. The mottled kiita is interesting - it came as a raw unflattened chunk, but the pinks and whites are most definitely there. Started work on it this morning, really really soft. I have no reference point for nakayama stones but the kan is quite hard and fine and this one self slurries easily. Unusually creamy/smooth, the both of them.
A627FE12-55BA-4A8D-9DA1-78BD0F929464.jpeg

2C90FB61-AFF9-485C-8D1B-F0DB03FC4558.jpeg

Great stone! I sold mine almost 3 months ago. Far too fine for my applications.

Tis indeed a very good stone :). And I think quite unusual too in a geological/petrological sense. But yes, as you say, effectively useless for knife sharpening.

Hope you got a good price for yours! They've become a bit sought after in the razor community I think - I've had a couple of people asking how to get one, now that they're not generally available anymore.

Tis indeed a very good stone :). And I think quite unusual too in a geological/petrological sense. But yes, as you say, effectively useless for knife sharpening.

Hope you got a good price for yours! They've become a bit sought after in the razor community I think - I've had a couple of people asking how to get one, now that they're not generally available anymore.
I am happy with the price. And even more, it is important to me that I know that some stones that are difficult to obtain are in good hands.

I now have a handful of contacts who appreciate exactly the stones that are too fine for me - both sides are satisfied in terms of price, I have little effort with the sale, the mutual trust is based on good experiences and the bottom line is that everyone involved is happy. It doesn't get any better!

New rocks to rub sharp things on.

A new god stone (scorpion forge mystery Chinese natural). This one in a larger size then my previous ones, I am naturally (badumtish) thrilled about this =D My dragon hoard grows. Sell me your Cris Anderson stones. Please.

Stunning kangaroo strop from matchplay. The fit and finish on this thing is spectacular. I’m trying to figure out if I’m gonna be transitioning on bare leather strops or continue to use compound, but if I’m using compound and need a few more I would pick up a few more from him with zero hesitation. The edges are beveled so the leather is in line with the wood. Slip resistant bottom. Leather is excellent and the thing is MASSIVE. I’d previously only used strops from knifeswap or Amazon, and this thing dwarfs them while being much, much better put together. Highly recommend it.

Don’t cringe too hard now, experienced sharpened avert ye eyes. I decided to give the jade stones from naturalwhetstonesharpening a shot, after running into them on badger and blade a few times. I was intrigued, he has some pretty relaxing videos to watch using them and I was honestly in the market for a stone for field touch ups. He happened to have a slab of Wyoming nephrite on sale, which was too tempting with the discount I was already using. So maybe I’m gonna learn a moderately expensive lesson on why jade is terrible for sharpening, or maybe it’ll turn out to be ok 😅 At least the Viking stone looks pretty sweet if nothing else.

Attachments

• 0BAF2F69-B71C-4BDA-A2B3-82946ABDEDB3.jpeg
    0BAF2F69-B71C-4BDA-A2B3-82946ABDEDB3.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • D17A5971-9713-44B3-A0B9-E75A4782222E.jpeg
    D17A5971-9713-44B3-A0B9-E75A4782222E.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0
  • E88EBD3A-EF88-4C6E-AE6B-A6F70769EF15.jpeg
    E88EBD3A-EF88-4C6E-AE6B-A6F70769EF15.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8E89D1C7-50C1-4CAB-882E-26D489238C97.jpeg
    8E89D1C7-50C1-4CAB-882E-26D489238C97.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New rocks to rub sharp things on.

A new god stone (scorpion forge mystery Chinese natural). This one in a larger size then my previous ones, I am naturally (badumtish) thrilled about this =D My dragon hoard grows. Sell me your Cris Anderson stones. Please.

Stunning kangaroo strop from matchplay. The fit and finish on this thing is spectacular. I’m trying to figure out if I’m gonna be transitioning on bare leather strops or continue to use compound, but if I’m using compound and need a few more I would pick up a few more from him with zero hesitation. The edges are beveled so the leather is in line with the wood. Slip resistant bottom. Leather is excellent and the thing is MASSIVE. I’d previously only used strops from knifeswap or Amazon, and this thing dwarfs them while being much, much better put together. Highly recommend it.

Don’t cringe too hard now, experienced sharpened avert ye eyes. I decided to give the jade stones from naturalwhetstonesharpening a shot, after running into them on badger and blade a few times. I was intrigued, he has some pretty relaxing videos to watch using them and I was honestly in the market for a stone for field touch ups. He happened to have a slab of Wyoming nephrite on sale, which was too tempting with the discount I was already using. So maybe I’m gonna learn a moderately expensive lesson on why jade is terrible for sharpening, or maybe it’ll turn out to be ok 😅 At least the Viking stone looks pretty sweet if nothing else.
You have any tips for your CA stone? I've had one for a while and never really blocked out time to figure it out.

You have any tips for your CA stone? I've had one for a while and never really blocked out time to figure it out.

I treat it as a medium-fine grit, currently just using water because oil is the devils fluid and I don’t want to spend 5 minutes cleaning my hands and knives.

I know CA mentioned that he uses it from bevel set onwards. I use it as my touch up, and my finishing stone nowadays. Removes microchips pretty quick and sets microbevels at speed. I wouldn’t try it for dedicated thinning sessions or removing actual chips as I feel it’s too slow for the job. Edges go from stone to bare leather and end up with an edge that’s simultaneously bizarrely toothy and quite smooth.

I’ve talked to a few folks who also reported the stone didn’t fit their needs, but for my purposes it’s the perfect rock, thus my perpetually open BST posting for them 🤣

Also this New Suehiro RE-153 grit 300/1500 just arrived yesterday. It supposed to be a Splash and Go stone from Suehiro. I never try them before and I can't find any reviews or video about it, so I bought them for trial.

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_135813.jpg
    IMG_20220703_135813.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220703_140102.jpg
    IMG_20220703_140102.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
Got some gear to round out my sharpening business. Set of diamond needle files to help with serrations and other oddities. Honing guide for chisels and plane irons. King 1000 slip stone for carving tools and hollow ground chisels. And last but not least, an 8x3 Dan’s soft ark. Ive had a Dans 8x2 soft/black combo for years, but recently found myself wanting a wider soft ark.

Attachments

• 7BADE437-C1F9-46FC-B3CE-FB880FF5298C.jpeg
    7BADE437-C1F9-46FC-B3CE-FB880FF5298C.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3635CF4E-BB12-4682-85D8-A066B7F8759E.jpeg
    3635CF4E-BB12-4682-85D8-A066B7F8759E.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 0
Also this New Suehiro RE-153 grit 300/1500 just arrived yesterday. It supposed to be a Splash and Go stone from Suehiro. I never try them before and I can't find any reviews or video about it, so I bought them for trial.

I suspect you'll probably find those are the same as Ceraxes, the 1.5k Cerax is certainly white anyway.

You'll be able to tell quite quickly; the Cerax 1.5 is pretty much the loveliest feeling stone I've ever used, maybe even more so than the Ouka. It's just glorious.

I suspect you'll probably find those are the same as Ceraxes, the 1.5k Cerax is certainly white anyway.

You'll be able to tell quite quickly; the Cerax 1.5 is pretty much the loveliest feeling stone I've ever used, maybe even more so than the Ouka. It's just glorious.
maybe, I haven't tried it yet because after I received the stone I packed them. I will try it later after I arrive in AU next week. The information from the seller that this is Suehiro real splash and go stone unlike cerax which we need to soak it in water for 5-10 minutes. I cannot find more information about Suehiro RE-153 online. The cooks edge sell them but no info about the stone.
300/1500 Combination Stone RE-153

My cerax 1000 little feel bit rougher when I touched the stone. New cerax less rough but still need be soak in the water. I guess I'll find out after I try them out 😁

Suehiro cerax is a good stone. One of my fav 1000 grit stone.

Wading in to this pool and enjoying it so far. Below is the new progression with a couple recent Aoto pick ups still yet to be tested.

King 1000 -> Red Aoto -> Blue Aoto -> then to either a Maruoyama Aisa or Maruoyama AO Suita.

Previous finishing stone was Cerax 3k and there has been noticeable edge improvement from sharpness perspective.

Stone progression.jpg

My newest Koppa purchase. I was wondering if someone could let me know what stone is it? It is meant to be from Japan's Ozuku mine, but I don't really know for sure. Any help much appreciated.

The stone is very smooth to the touch and seems to be cutting pretty fast. Takes almost no time to start seeing metal on the stone without a slurry. Will need to check it's polishing capabilities and experiment a bit more.

Cheers

Attachments

• 2022-08-26 21.27.00.jpg
    2022-08-26 21.27.00.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-08-26 21.26.52.jpg
    2022-08-26 21.26.52.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-08-26 21.26.39.jpg
    2022-08-26 21.26.39.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-08-26 21.26.27.jpg