Quantcast

Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

drsmp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fingerstones and a Halcyon Forge Wrought Iron cladding. No idea what the exact FS are as they were gifted to me by @soigne_west . An almost black bit from a variegated grey stone did the trick, almost magically giving instant contrast. The tan and grey ones I tried accentuated the patterns but not much contrast. Please excuse all my technical terms 😜
1B4427F2-CDE8-4722-B9BE-02D839DD0B21.jpeg
3E873A44-6DCF-4DCC-A130-3768144123EF.jpeg

Last edited:

soigne_west

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@drsmp The variegated one your referring too is is uchigumori. The later is maxims “fine finger stone extra” no clue what it actually is.

CiderBear

Reaction score

drsmp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CiderBear The highlights of their recommendations
Rhynowet sandpaper is the best
DONT progress to the next sandpaper grit until all scratches from previous grit are gone. Those last few stray deeper scratches won’t go away as you progress (and will often look worse)
Finish up at 800 grit for Kasumi
Add a little baking soda to your fingerstone water it will prevent rust/stains as you’re working. I like a short presoak to soften the FS a bit.
Be patient , use very little pressure until you get a little slurry going
If you’re getting scratches you’re using too much pressure or have a bad FS
Polish heel to tip
Once you have nice kasumi going with plenty of slurry, use a piece of hard felt as a fingerstone to even out the finish
A small piece of felt and diamond emulsion does a good job of polishing the core steel

drsmp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CiderBear
One more tip to get rid of any fine scratches from Fingerstones as well as even out the kasumi - as a final step King 800 mud with windex lubricant on the finest micro mesh pad really worked well