Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! All stones on this one. Slurry thickness was about cream cheese to get it just right.

Sorry, last question I hope! So, tons of slurry on the suita's too? Slurry from the stone you were using (tomo or diamond plate) or some donor nagura? Really like how wet that looks! I don't want to wear down my suita's too fast so I don't use them muddy but might have to give it a shot if that's how it's done.

Yessir, lots of slurry on the suita. It's the only way I can get in all the nooks and crannies with this knife. The knife is oiled in the video too.

off topic but has anyone already tried a very hard Uchgumori stone like hs60?

Don't know about hs60 but I have one that cuts more than it polishes and looks more like Suita than uchi

Messing around with my new Aka Renge Suita from Watanabe.

Beautiful stone
1486170346755.jpg

Makes nice slurry all on it's own
1486170394266.jpg

Consistent finish 1486170467662.jpg

1486170529212.jpg

1486170644768.jpg

1486170394266.jpg

1486170707052.jpg

Attachments

• 1486170673355.jpg
    1486170673355.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 146
That is just lovely @dwalker
What knives are those?

First knife is a T-F 240 white #1 with stainless cladding ( this is the knife I go for when I want to see just how sharp something can be).
Second is a Moritaka petty, AS with iron cladding.
The stone is something unique for me. It does things I didn't think would be possible for me. I will explain in detail when I've had a little more time with it.

First knife is a T-F 240 white #1 with stainless cladding ( this is the knife I go for when I want to see just how sharp something can be).
Second is a Moritaka petty, AS with iron cladding.
The stone is something unique for me. It does things I didn't think would be possible for me. I will explain in detail when I've had a little more time with it.

I look forward to that explanation.

As some may see on the pictures jizuya makes the blade looking a bit brighter than hazuya.
Overall less contrast than with hazuya but also less dull and more alive as the brighter lines pop much more.

Very interesting. I've never really got a handle on the real world differences between jizuya and hazuya even though I get the theory. Looks beautiful as always Nutmeg

Testing new stones and playing with progressions. And this is about the best I can do without fingerstones

It went a little something like this

Chosera 3k - not recommended, great for edge work, horrible for polishing
Aizu - perfect. It feels like it must be leaving a terrible finish but it leaves a shallow, even, contrasted finish
Hakka - not so good. Dynamite on double bevels, but just didn't feel like it was doing anything, and the polish took a step backwards
Nakayama sunashi Suita - feels like cheating, no drag on the cladding, cuts fast and polishes evenly. Leaves great contrast.
Okudo Suita - hard but forgiving. Brightens everything up.
Back to to Nakayama sunashi Suita as I preferred the depth and nuance of the polish.
Ohira uchigumori - didn't have high expectations as I actually thought it was Suita incorrectly sold as uchi because of its appearance and it cuts aggressively but it seems to be uchi in the way it polishes and allowed me to smooth over some of the worst of my sins.

Otto, I'm interested as to why you thought the Chosera 3k horrible for polishing?

I've also tried polishing a wide bevel with it. The functional result was good but it looks a lot better now that a patina has set in. It kinda looked like a multifaceted semi mirror finish (and not in a good way).

Badgertooth - that looks great.

Anyone around here uses Bester 4000? I have heard good things about it when it comes to kasumi ...

Otto, I'm interested as to why you thought the Chosera 3k horrible for polishing?

I've also tried polishing a wide bevel with it. The functional result was good but it looks a lot better now that a patina has set in. It kinda looked like a multifaceted semi mirror finish (and not in a good way).

I'm not sure if the chosera 3k acts similarly to the 1k but the 1k leaves that random splotchy finish too. The only way I can get an even contrast out of the 1k is to use diamond plate generated slurry and do strokes parallel to the shinogi line.

I'm not sure if the chosera 3k acts similarly to the 1k but the 1k leaves that random splotchy finish too. The only way I can get an even contrast out of the 1k is to use diamond plate generated slurry and do strokes parallel to the shinogi line.

The 3k finish probably looks a little worse than 1k IME. Maybe because it's shinier. I tried a 1k finish but there was too much drag on the bevel (in wet foods), so I polished the wide bevel to 3k. Much less drag on the bevel but looks ordinary until it patinas.

Didn't try the slurry trick, though.

Nice Badgertooth, dark jigane with like mirror hagane on the pictures.

Differences between Hauzuya and Jizuya seem to be real but difficult to judge.
If I had 30 different "certified" hazuyas and jizuyas I could eventually classify them better.. Using them on real tamahagane could maybe enhance differences but all I got out of this metal is some razors, wich are maybe not xthe best way to try.

Shinichi wrote me last week:

"Your impression about Jizuya is same as me. And correct. because Jizuya is
for Jigane surface of Samurai sword. It has some layers of same material.
When you use Jizuya, the layers appear clearly on Jigane of Samurai sword.
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/2c/36/983ec8fa7e60c0048d21b1cb426e50d2.j
pg
It is no means for kitchen knives which I already might told you.
But I'm not the expert yet. Samurai sword maker have a couple of different
hardness of Uchigumori. And they use different Uchigumori for each Sword.

Jizuya and Hazuya are from same layer.
Human judge Jizuya or Hazuya by their feeling.
http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/wetstone6.htm
#10 Uchigumori, Hazuya: HS56.
#13 Uchigumori, Jizuya, HS57.
You can believe the determine."

I noticed the AI#2000 gives sometimes a more hazy/dark surface and sometimes more on the semi-mirror side, just depending on the pressure applied on it.
As pre polisher it is the same at the end because the scratches are same but sometimes I can imagine that playing with pressure allows the light to show the scratches or to hide them a bit in shadow.

Yeah, exactly this mate. Sort of weird shiny scuffs all over the show. It's one of my favourite stones but it's just not going into my polishing rotation. I do need a synth for that low nakato gap.

Yeah, I had a great session on a Chosera 1k after some lapping and it was in a stainless cladding that wasn't too gummy or gross feelings. Splotchfest on mild iron like Shigs and Toyamas.

Sharpened a Masamoto deba for a co-worker of mine because he said it doesn't work like it used to. Upon looking at the blade, the bevel was almost completely flat, except near the tip where it was way too convexed; which is almost the opposite of what I think is best on a deba. The ura also had a slight microbevel somehow... Other than that it was in pretty decent condition considering he's been using it daily for almost 3 years.

Before:
http://imgur.com/a/CDTnM
http://imgur.com/a/FGxzz

After:
http://imgur.com/a/aSwnu
http://imgur.com/a/hNtLA
http://imgur.com/a/YCLws

Had trouble keeping the lighting the same in between pics... Bevel finished on a very soft Maruoyama that I use for my own deba. Hope he will like it.

Back