Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Looks great! Agree with @ethompson - looks very even to me! A fork in the road at this point, prior to full low spot removal.. do you

1. Full flat bevel for easy polishing?
2. Hamaguri the edge, round and raise the shinogi - convexed for food release and performance, but a real challenge to create even polish?

I fight myself about this on the daily 😵‍💫
It’s my first go at polishing anything but Kiridashi, my Moritaka Honesuki, and some higos, so I’ll see where the road takes me. There is some convexivity, so I’ll try to preserve that, but reserve the possibility of flattening things out if I can’t get it looking decent.

Reactions: Pie

DanielC

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
20220515_170531.jpg

20220515_170525.jpg

20220515_170523.jpg

Reaction score
Update on the Wakui

After spending some more time with the King 300, I cleared those scratches with a NP400 then hit it with permasoaked King 800. Here it is after the 800
A61E90A0-F71E-41DC-956A-F70AD3DDC956.jpeg
81398B29-097C-4D08-8347-93E58817C84A.jpeg

Then a little time on my Aoto (forgot to take pics) then on to my Natsuya. Here it is after Natsuya

98A376C4-E0D5-459A-971A-548792B28D70.jpeg

Went to my Uchi after that. Still needs work though. Will update again when I’m happy with it.

One fun thing, I love the way my finger slurry marks match this knife’s Tsuchime pattern when working on it. :)

7C18CEDD-D7E7-4116-A4A1-A048207C6888.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This one was 100% synthetic stones Sapton pro up to 12K

It’s the first time I’ve done it with synthetic stones, I had to try some new things to get the geometry right (6hrs total starting at 150grit)

Really wish I had the 30K stone, as this would be a good chance to fully appreciate a 30k stones results. If anyone has one they want to sell let me know I’ll give it a try

Shihan makes some really amazing knives and that mesquite wood is just killer, Ultra strong hard and impervious to water

I might come back and finish this off with my Nakayama or just etch it, either one will bring out the metal alloy banding

View attachment 147481 View attachment 147482 View attachment 147483 View attachment 147484
Do you use Buffer and some polishing compound for final polishing??

EricEricEric

Reaction score
All of my finishing is done after 5k shapton pro, I use diamond dust with water and hard felt pad 5k-50k, or I use shiro nagura then Maruoyama then jibiki finger stones

Two different methods

Do you use Buffer and some polishing compound for final polishing??

Reaction score
Man, a perfect scratch free finish seems very elusive to me. I’m pretty sure these are still from lower grits I didn’t totally work out. It’s a labor of love I guess.

This is a very, very good finish from what I can see. Chasing perfection is a bit of a trap. It is possible, but extremely, extremely time consuming and fairly difficult. Doubling the amount of time to get that last few % is probably a reasonable expectation in my experience. I still haven't gotten there, but I'm working on one now that I hope to get to that point.

Reaction score
This is a very, very good finish from what I can see. Chasing perfection is a bit of a trap. It is possible, but extremely, extremely time consuming and fairly difficult. Doubling the amount of time to get that last few % is probably a reasonable expectation in my experience. I still haven't gotten there, but I'm working on one now that I hope to get to that point.
Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence. As a reformed classical professional musician, perfection is sort of ingrained in me. The scratches are very fine and really only visible in the harshest of light (like direct sunlight in the video), but I know they’re there, lol.

Reaction score
All of my finishing is done after 5k shapton pro, I use diamond dust with water and hard felt pad 5k-50k, or I use shiro nagura then Maruoyama then jibiki finger stones

Two different methods
"This one was 100% synthetic stones Sapton pro up to 12K"
I mean the mirror polished knife in the photo, which polishing method did you use after SP 12 K?

EricEricEric

Reaction score
12k is the final stone in that sequence, you don’t want to go beyond 5k. 8k 12k and beyond are all hard stones and will leave scratches, you just can’t see them in that light

"This one was 100% synthetic stones Sapton pro up to 12K"
I mean the mirror polished knife in the photo, which polishing method did you use after SP 12 K?

Reaction score
12k is the final stone in that sequence, you don’t want to go beyond 5k. 8k 12k and beyond are all hard stones and will leave scratches, you just can’t see them in that light
Yup, That's why I never use ceramic stone above 5000 for polishing. I just wonder how you can achieve that mirror finish with SP 12K. Maybe because of the light (sunlight) and camera angel?

Thank you for the information @EricEricEric

Last edited:

cotedupy

Reaction score
This is an interesting stone I got from Otto a little while back, it's a very old (NOS) Iyo stone that he described as 'Hon' Iyo:

IMG-8877.JPG

IMG-8878.JPG

It's mid grit - early to mid 1000s, though quite slow for sharpening. I have zero interest in using jnats for sharpening tbh, and had asked about a polishing stone around this level, maybe to slot into a progression or something.

It took me a little while to figure out exactly how best to use it, but it actually leaves a quite beautiful, nuanced finish when worked properly (to which my shonky phone camera fails to do justice). And much higher than you would guess from the feel of it.

IMG-8883.jpg