Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
320 grit sandpaper on a TF Denka to remove all the grind marks followed by a huge jump to Narutaki asagi just to mirror the core.

FE3E6B1B-E8B1-4330-9913-0A1DD279FF6A.jpeg

FD5CF126-BDD5-408D-ABA1-90F3DD7F328B.jpeg

To this date, I have messed up two Victorinox when thinning, managed to do only moderate damage to a third, tried to salvage a fourth, old one from much worse ending up no better, also thinned a Misono pretty unevenly... giving me juuuust enough experience - would that only be the anguish of having to put so many knives right and trying that on at least one - to say that I admire all of your posts, patience, dedication and passion. 😩

This is such an aesthetic thread - makes me want to try to put a higher finish on my blades. Well done everyone!

To this date, I have messed up two Victorinox when thinning, managed to do only moderate damage to a third, tried to salvage a fourth, old one from much worse ending up no better, also thinned a Misono pretty unevenly... giving me juuuust enough experience - would that only be the anguish of having to put so many knives right and trying that on at least one - to say that I admire all of your posts, patience, dedication and passion. 😩
Never too late to learn and start. I too am starting to do my first mirror finish on a honyaki right now. Main thing I’ve taken out from learning polishing like this is don’t be afraid to heck up. It’s a learning journey.

In these 2 months of isolation, I’ve actually learned more than in my 2 years owning Japanese knives, so I must say, take this prime opportunity to learn more!

Never too late to learn and start. I too am starting to do my first mirror finish on a honyaki. Main thing I’ve taken out from learning polishing like this is don’t be afraid to heck up. It’s a learning journey.

In these 2 months of isolation, I’ve actually learned more than in my 2 years owning Japanese knives, so I must say, take this prime opportunity to learn more!

^We need more of this attitude (without being completely reckless)!

Nothing wrong with being reckless though. IMO, the only way you can truly screw up a knife would be by using machines. Believe me, I tried my best, and it did not look great 😂
Very fair, most things can be fixed up... Just won't get the time back 😂

Hence why most I’ve ****ed up are cheap blades... learning journey all right but trying not to mess up more expensive knives.

I guess there’s something to be said about a Kurouchi finish the kind of Mazaki’s nakiri... thinned that fat bastard quite a lot and it doesn’t really show. 🤪

Messing up finishes?! That’s my middle name. Here’s some of the damage I’ve done recently:

Attachments

• FF45FC60-9392-4F1B-9F59-1DB4118A8102.jpeg
    FF45FC60-9392-4F1B-9F59-1DB4118A8102.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 9C96CDF6-E714-4C4B-8A27-BA5EA17D9A2C.jpeg
    9C96CDF6-E714-4C4B-8A27-BA5EA17D9A2C.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 91
Second pic, shadow or you add a hollow? Avoid those spots because reasons?
Munetoshi concavity! So a real thing (not a shadow) that I didn’t add myself 😁. I took out some of it after this pic was taken, but they go quite deep so I felt I had to leave them be. I didn’t want to waste too much knife only for a nice finish, so the deepest ones are saved for the future. 🤪

How did you get the core so polished and the clad looks untouched?
The clad was worked on before this. Got rid of the grind marks, then I put back 320 grit marks, you can see my scratches are much finer than the original and has a hazy look.

So all I needed to do after that was reach for my finest stone and put a mirror on the core. Once core steel has been mirrored before, it’s pretty difficult to in-mirror it.

The clad was worked on before this. Got rid of the grind marks, then I put back 320 grit marks, you can see my scratches are much finer than the original and has a hazy look.

So all I needed to do after that was reach for my finest stone and put a mirror on the core. Once core steel has been mirrored before, it’s pretty difficult to in-mirror it.

I see, the soft clad takes the fresh marks of the sandpaper and the core doesnt. I think? Looks great.

I see, the soft clad takes the fresh marks of the sandpaper and the core doesnt. I think? Looks great.
Nope, the core went through the sandpaper and became matted too, but I just lay my stones flat enough to touch the core after to get the mirror on it

Weekend project - this 270 Mazaki took a tumble into the sink and lost about 7mm off the top and 2mm on the heel. Ground from the spine down to the edge then reworked the bevel from 220 up to 6k on synthetics before switching to an uchigumori. Since i removed half the ku from the spine fixing the tip I just went all the way and eased/polished the spine/chill too.
FCED8318-829F-44C0-B6D9-F7258DA9583B.jpeg
BD0B380A-8D4E-4D35-B4EB-F3DF95F7EF40.jpeg

I did some Mazaki too! Didn’t look as good as the one above, but still:
Amakusa, blue aoto and a finisher.

Attachments

• 860B4F0F-735E-4B09-AEC5-9AF58BA6630F.jpeg
    860B4F0F-735E-4B09-AEC5-9AF58BA6630F.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2CC792C6-496D-409B-9DF4-2AB696078019.jpeg
    2CC792C6-496D-409B-9DF4-2AB696078019.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 16DFEF53-1704-4172-8670-2149AC922C1A.jpeg
    16DFEF53-1704-4172-8670-2149AC922C1A.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 73
Weekend project - this 270 Mazaki took a tumble into the sink and lost about 7mm off the top and 2mm on the heel. Ground from the spine down to the edge then reworked the bevel from 220 up to 6k on synthetics before switching to an uchigumori. Since i removed half the ku from the spine fixing the tip I just went all the way and eased/polished the spine/chill too. View attachment 82343View attachment 82344

You did very well to rescue that, great job

Thought I'd cut in with a 40 minutes dirt job sandpaper polish... using my fingers, mind you.

I present to you... the new and improved two tones Victorinox Santoku.... Or... what have you... cheap stainless steel core Victorinox cladded with the same cheap stainless steel... :p

IMG_5176.jpg
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5178.jpg
IMG_5179.jpg

Stupidly holds the farce under many kind of lighting and angles...

IMG_5180.jpg
IMG_5181.jpg

But of course the veneer doesn't stand true...

IMG_5182.jpg
IMG_5183.jpg
IMG_5184.jpg

And with the proper angle or lighting the dirty trick is revealed...

Still better on first sight than when out of thinning. That's about all there is to say. Oh yeah and still some marker to remove out of the dimples.

To cheap knives, cheap treatments.

What you guys do... is another thing completely. Kudos and fascinating pictures guys!

59BFFF7D-A750-4193-BF1C-9FE2EAB1A684.jpeg

Hisamoto, iron clad white one made by the inimitable Teruyasu Fujiwara.
All the heavy lifting was done on the Naniwa Gouken Arata 400, the so-called baby Chosera.
I wanted to experiment with a very tight progression as I usually do big jumps so the next cab off the rank was Morihei 500
Then King 800
Then King Hyper 1k
Then shapton glass 2k
Chosera 3k
Aizu
Nakayama Karasuita (I haven’t just made that name up, I promise)

Back