Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First attempt at polishing ironclad carbon in about 3 years.

This one's a Shigehiro 210 gyuto forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda and sharpened by Kasahara. Came with a nice hazy polish on the cladding that's somewhere between 3-5k. The knife was a bit chubby behind the edge so I thinned it a bit and straightened up the secondary bevel and moved that up to ~3-5mm above the cladding line, then rounded the shoulder. Basically tried to move up the convexing a bit further up the blade. Then hit this all over with a muddy Hideriyama from JNS that left the iron matte white and the steel hazy. After that, I hit a tip with my softest uchi, which left the whitened up the matt cladding and shined up the core a bit.

Unfortunately, that uchi also started spitting out some crunchy bits so moved on to testing the handful of suita's I have with varying results. My Ohira's shined up the core and whitened up the cladding in a pretty nice way, but this Mystery Suita from the JapanStone got a lot closer to mirror on the cladding, started to really mirror the core and got me closer to contrast level I was looking for. Saving the best for last, I busted out another mystery suita with telltale signs of being a Nakayama (bought here from Brooksie). Definitely saved the best for last and this stone got me closer to the mirror core I was looking for and a nice pop on the cladding line. This stone also revealed a bit of a shadow line above the cladding line in some places and left a darker, wetter look on the cladding. Then hit above the shinogi with a uchi fingerstone then rubbed it down with a felt pad loaded up with the mud from the last suita, which dialed down the matte look and turned it a bit darker and glossier looking.

Watcha guys think? Wish I had something better than my phone camera but hopefully good enough for you guys to see how this ended up.
2020-06-29 13.22.23.jpg

2020-06-29 13.24.25.jpg

2020-06-29 13.33.28.jpg
2020-06-29 13.38.26.jpg

2020-06-29 13.38.39.jpg
2020-06-29 13.44.37.jpg

First attempt at polishing ironclad carbon in about 3 years.

This one's a Shigehiro 210 gyuto forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda and sharpened by Kasahara. Came with a nice hazy polish on the cladding that's somewhere between 3-5k. The knife was a bit chubby behind the edge so I thinned it a bit and straightened up the secondary bevel and moved that up to ~3-5mm above the cladding line, then rounded the shoulder. Basically tried to move up the convexing a bit further up the blade. Then hit this all over with a muddy Hideriyama from JNS that left the iron matte white and the steel hazy. After that, I hit a tip with my softest uchi, which left the whitened up the matt cladding and shined up the core a bit.

Unfortunately, that uchi also started spitting out some crunchy bits so moved on to testing the handful of suita's I have with varying results. My Ohira's shined up the core and whitened up the cladding in a pretty nice way, but this Mystery Suita from the JapanStone got a lot closer to mirror on the cladding, started to really mirror the core and got me closer to contrast level I was looking for. Saving the best for last, I busted out another mystery suita with telltale signs of being a Nakayama (bought here from Brooksie). Definitely saved the best for last and this stone got me closer to the mirror core I was looking for and a nice pop on the cladding line. This stone also revealed a bit of a shadow line above the cladding line in some places and left a darker, wetter look on the cladding. Then hit above the shinogi with a uchi fingerstone then rubbed it down with a felt pad loaded up with the mud from the last suita, which dialed down the matte look and turned it a bit darker and glossier looking.

Watcha guys think? Wish I had something better than my phone camera but hopefully good enough for you guys to see how this ended up.View attachment 85531
View attachment 85532
View attachment 85533View attachment 85534
View attachment 85535View attachment 85536

That looks great

Ive not done much polish work the last couple months, the brain is too stormy.
However i ordered a couple stones form our Nutmeg here in March and they finally arrived after being stuck in customs for 3 months, so i had to test them.
layers for dayers.jpg

i do not consider this a final or full polish, just a test of the stones. theres still a couple scratches i didnt take the time to remove. this was just some time on the Uchigumori to see how it works, and it was a great stone, softish, really clean, easy to get a nice hazy kasumi with good contrast. it was a nice finish, and even showed off some banding.
stones from Nutmeg.jpg

however i also bought my first Nakayama stone, so of course i had to try that one as well. its a hard stone, a finisher, something im not very experienced with. And its gorgeous!!! This thing brought out what you see in the photo. very good contrast and lit up the banding like no stone before.

thats why this is a Rabbit hole, chasing this kind of finish is fun, but expensive and time consuming, haha.

Thanks! I suck at taking pics tho. Yes etching, sandpaper, fingerstones, etching, sandpaper, fingerstones, etc...

I don't thing you did the hira with those stones, maybe you meant the kireha/bevel?

Part 1 of my project Deba,

Start grinding the Hira by using Naniwa Lobster/Traditional 220, Shapton Glass 220, Morihei Hi 500, King Hyper 1000, Aizu and weird Uchigumori. Uraoshi sharpening using Chosera 3000 then Morihei Hi 6000.

lnGBuzY.jpeg

rzGqHlU.jpeg

r7WHHmS.jpeg

hbhrEMP.jpeg

My first attempt at a kasumi finish, let's just say it needs work.... a lot of work.
The knife is a cheap Tojiro Shirogami 210mm Yanagi that I bought a while back to practice single bevel sharpening on.
The set up is King 800, Gesshin 2k, Gesshin 6ks, Kitayama 8000, Uchigumori finger stones from Aframes.

I'd like to get more contrast between the jigane/hagane so I'm thinking to pick up a Jinzo Aoto since people seem to have good results from that stone and it's not nearly as pricey as a natural.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my current work in process. Decided to tackle my Higonokami pocket knife. Been putting this off since it was a large project.

View attachment 86709View attachment 86710View attachment 86711

Still needs some work. Didn't get my lower grits dialed near the pivot thingy. To be continued.....

I did the same knife, what a coincidence!
I got myself a green black jade handle 😂 and I have the 'iron (or atleast black) cladded look' topside.

Do you have the SK-carbon, aogami or shirogami version?
I got myself the aogami version, dont know which number. The shirogami was 130,- euro (150 dollar?) versus 60,- euro (70 dollar?) for aogami, dont know why... Felt too much for a experiment.

And how was yours out of the box? Mine was simply dull. Felt like plastic over my nail and couldnt even cut normal printing paper. Not even a starting cut, it just slid over the paper. I was almost about to send it back , but then i remembered why i bought it: to see how its like to sharpen aogami 😅

I mirror polished mine, the whole second bevel. I went for about 80%. of the total. Near the handle the steel got irregular. Wasn't worth the 100% extra time of grinding over the total knife length for me.

The actual sharpening didnt go so well. I can shave my legs with it (dry), but the hairs aint exactly popping... The knife is so tiny and "low" in your hands while sharpening... really hard profile to get a good (stable) grip on
The profile might also do its part here, its a pocket knife, not a laser kitchen knife after all... It goes wide behind the edge really fast

ill try to post some pictures tomorrow!

Do you, or anyone else, know anything about the quality of this knife? It feels like a rough piece of steel, quickly grindend into the form of a knife.

Last edited:
I have the aogami in the 5cm and 30cm. Those prices seem a bit high. I got the 5 cm for about 20usd and the 30cm for about 35 usd. The small one was dull but the 30cm was pretty sharp. That being said I took it to the stones immediately. Did you sharpen the whole bevel? Meaning putting the whole bevel flat on the stone? It took me a while to thin out the low spots but once I did it got screaming sharp. I also put a microbevel on it. I think it’s good for the price I got it for. I just use it mostly to break down cardboard boxes.

And I know what you mean about the rough spot near the handle. It’s hard to get to that area with the stone

I have the aogami in the 5cm and 30cm. Those prices seem a bit high. I got the 5 cm for about 20usd and the 30cm for about 35 usd. The small one was dull but the 30cm was pretty sharp. That being said I took it to the stones immediately. Did you sharpen the whole bevel? Meaning putting the whole bevel flat on the stone? It took me a while to thin out the low spots but once I did it got screaming sharp. I also put a microbevel on it. I think it’s good for the price I got it for. I just use it mostly to break down cardboard boxes.

And I know what you mean about the rough spot near the handle. It’s hard to get to that area with the stone

dull.jpg

This is out the the box. I think I just started sharpening the actual cutting edge here for a second and then thought, lets make a picture of before (adn after). You can see the cutting edge was full of high/low spots: there are 3 spots with sharpie on it visible.

good.jpg

This is with the best possible angle. The bush (is on the left) is about 1 meter (3 foot) away. Photo taken with a Samsung S7 on a cloudy day, around noon.
Personally, not to brag, I feel its very very shiny.

bad.jpg

This is the worst possible angle. Foto take at exactly the same moment. You see the scrathes obviously, but they are very very light. You can also see the parts I gave up on: near the handle, but also near the cutting edge, about where the 'belly' starts: you see the factory vertical lines (which are much deeper then the finish gritt around it).

About the edge. I wasn't finished here yet, but after gritt1000 I decided to finish the polishing first. From left to right, ear the handle there isnt really an edge yet, then there is a part I overgrind (which stayed in some way after finish, I wasn't able to just create an edge near the handle without touching the more centered part of the edge). I do'nt mind that much, aslong as the complete edge had the same angle at the end, which I failed a little (see my other post why I think this knife was hard to sharpen).
In the near future I go for round 2.

About the polishing. All done on my regular sharpening stones. Yes, I put the bevel completely flat on my stones. I did not go to the point where the original cutting edge completely dissapeared. Did you? That will be a long grind and some serious thinning.
I hit this stones in this order:
Shapton glass 120 (very short, since this stone felt like 1000 gritt after a few minutes)
Shapton pro 220
Naniwa superstone 1000
Naniwa superstone 2000 (this is where all knives start to have mirror finish, just a little more scratches then on the last stone)
Naniwa superstone 5000

Nutmeg, any tips you could give me based on the pics above as to how to increase the contrast or how to brighten up the mirror? I was thinking of getting the Jinzo Aoto from JKI, but I'm more inclined to think that the problem is my technique than the tools.

Nutmeg, any tips you could give me based on the pics above as to how to increase the contrast or how to brighten up the mirror? I was thinking of getting the Jinzo Aoto from JKI, but I'm more inclined to think that the problem is my technique than the tools.

I've been a bit lazy and this finish is not from me! Actually this is the finish out of the box from Milan Gravier. He uses Jnats and finger stones for the finish.
I have no idea how the Jinzo Aoto from JKI performs so I can't tell you. Usually, softer and slightly coarser stones can brighten the blade.

Back