Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These tenjou suita are incredible stones for kasumi. I just got one thats so damn good its not fair to the other stones. Nice polish too.
Cheers
Isn't tenjou suita the strata that contains uchigumori among others?

That finish is beautiful btw runner_up

Nothing wrong with being reckless though. IMO, the only way you can truly screw up a knife would be by using machines. Believe me, I tried my best, and it did not look great 😂
Yeah. I have to throw a knife away after messing it up with a belt sander. Wasn't pretty.

Did you get it yet? I would love to see the results from playing with it.

It's still on the way. I'll post some results as soon as I have used it. I have recently picked up an iron clad Morihei gyuto which I'm keen to try and do some kasumi and polishing work on too.

275mm Wakui Blue 2 gyuto. Purchased off of BST from @ashy2classy for a great price who in turn had bought it from @preizzo . Both said they had never sharpened it, and the blade road still had the factory bead blasted finish. Steel sharpens well, edge is definitely wear resistant, and it does well through a variety of product. I like taking this knife to work with me.

After playing around it was clear the grind was really well executed. After deciding to put on a real kasumi I figured I would run it quickly on a tenjyou suita just to see where the high and low spots were. Ended up being no need to jump down to a coarse stone. Man even my KU shigs didn't have such a smooth and well finished blade road out of the box. One probably shouldn't expect every one of his blades to be this well ground, but wow, I'm really impressed.

275mm Wakui Blue 2 gyuto. Purchased off of BST from @ashy2classy for a great price who in turn had bought it from @preizzo . Both said they had never sharpened it, and the blade road still had the factory bead blasted finish. Steel sharpens well, edge is definitely wear resistant, and it does well through a variety of product. I like taking this knife to work with me.

After playing around it was clear the grind was really well executed. After deciding to put on a real kasumi I figured I would run it quickly on a tenjyou suita just to see where the high and low spots were. Ended up being no need to jump down to a coarse stone. Man even my KU shigs didn't have such a smooth and well finished blade road out of the box. One probably shouldn't expect every one of his blades to be this well ground, but wow, I'm really impressed.

Missing that knife ,the wakui aogami 2 are fantastic

absolutely gorgeous

First time sharpening a Honyaki, have to say it’s so much harder and took much longer to sharpen than a Kasumi blade 😅😅
92F72EAF-15E1-422A-9487-4727D187C3C2.jpeg

Looks great! Wakui's work is SO SOLID! Consistent quality you don't find in blades twice the price. One of the more overlooked makers, IMO. Just great knives all around. Enjoy!

I have been wanting to post a pictures of the finish from my new jnats for a little while now, for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it until now though.

These two are from my tenjyou suita, you might have seen me post it as my mystery suita in the jnat club thread. It gives a pretty consistent finish with just a bit of a mirror like quality to the hagane
20201216_193246.jpg
20201216_193311.jpg

Then the next two pictures are the finish from my uchigumori koppa. It's not perfect, but if I didn't stop myself and post this I was going to drive myself insane, and never get any sleep.
20201219_014034.jpg
20201219_014003.jpg

I've decided to do a proper polish of my tojiro shirogami santoku. I haven't been bothering to do any of the basework needed to really bring out a nice finish so I bought myself some 3m (my first time buying name brand, will never go back to the cheap stuff i was using again) sandpaper and went to town, started at 120 and went up to 600.

This is at 600
20201225_211840.jpg

After that I went over to my medium grit rust eraser
20201225_211809.jpg

And finally went to my fine rust eraser
20201225_211722.jpg

I'm giving making proper fingerstones a second go. The first time I used a 2 part epoxy, and the freaking things fell off the backing. So I bought contact adhesive this time, and will see how it works out. The adhesive is drying now. So all I have left to do is the fun part!

Will update soon.

Man this is probably the best this knife has looked since I bought it. It's not completely perfect, but I'm happy with the results. I actually didn't think making proper fingerstones would make such a difference.

Here's after the uchigumori fingerstones.
20201225_223155.jpg

20201225_223553.jpg

After tenjyou suita fingerstones
20201225_224154.jpg

20201225_224247.jpg

After asagi fingerstones
20201225_224924.jpg
20201225_224941.jpg

Finally after kiita fingerstones, and a very light touch up with the suita fingerstones.
20201225_230025.jpg

I went ahead and did a quick touch up on my miyabi kaizen to get some contrast back to the Damascus cladding. I should take it down to low grit sandpaper like I did with the tojiro. So i can get better results, but I will save that for another day.
20201226_140630.jpg
20201226_140713.jpg

Wakui 😍

Purchased here on BST basically new as a gift for my bro. I too have been practicing polishing stainless cladding. Very different from iron cladding for sure.

What was your progression? I am likely about to start learning myself and have a stainless clad Hinoura begging for a polish.

What was your progression? I am likely about to start learning myself and have a stainless clad Hinoura begging for a polish.

Coarse Omura, Shapton pro 1.5k (I would like to get maybe a natsuya around 800 grit to do a full jnat progression), a very hard blue aoto to bring the core steel to mirror, soft iromono to smooth out the cladding, very fine shobudani tomae to refine and finish the core, and then finish on an ohira tenjyou suita for excellent contrast and nice smooth finish.

Coarse Omura, Shapton pro 1.5k (I would like to get maybe a natsuya around 800 grit to do a full jnat progression), a very hard blue aoto to bring the core steel to mirror, soft iromono to smooth out the cladding, very fine shobudani tomae to refine and finish the core, and then finish on an ohira tenjyou suita for excellent contrast and nice smooth finish.
Thank you! Great result.

Back