Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220503_124003.jpg
20220503_123956.jpg

Yanick gyuto sporting a natural stone finish. This was sent to me for repair, it had a chip that was a little more than 1mm deep. I removed the chip, thinned, and then polished. The last stone I used was a dark grey, with spots of renge, from Maruoyama.

More pics and vids on my IG :

Link below has pics of the chip.

View attachment 177747View attachment 177749
Yanick gyuto sporting a natural stone finish. This was sent to me for repair, it had a chip that was a little more than 1mm deep. I removed the chip, thinned, and then polished. The last stone I used was a dark grey, with spots of renge, from Maruoyama.

More pics and vids on my IG :

Link below has pics of the chip.

1651604004360.png

this, but for the stone in question

I'm very much a novice (first attempt at a project like this), but took my spare spicy white honyaki to my uchigumori fingerstones, then used some diamond paste I had, followed by some buffing with automotive compound and etched 3 times in between buffing. Wondering if I should leave it as is or go back over the hamon with fingerstones. It is much more apparent of a hamon in person but still not super duper contrasty, but that's ok.

How I got it
spare3.jpg

polishing

spare4.jpg

etch

spare5.jpg

final:

spare.jpg
spare2.jpg

I talked to Tobias a bit in order to understand how he put the original finish on the knife. I proceeded to perfect the bevel. He does a very good job with his knives, only low at the end of the heel and top of the nose.

I etched after perfecting the bevel and he liked the black look so much he suggest leaving it like that, so I felt I couldn’t disagree 😂

9D9DD53B-A01E-4E8B-ACDB-6642C37AE363.jpeg
2CA11CA4-2890-455C-8F96-03A3475AF1BB.jpeg
C8C0A191-9ABF-417A-BC88-7045502CDDF5.jpeg
3880055E-4919-4062-B23E-DD141E933520.jpeg

29A3CA2B-B6AE-4ED7-B8DA-D6EBAEA3D825.jpeg

8BF0503A-5E9E-4B2A-A95C-24D1657EDAE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't use my uchi for a while and almost forgot how nice it is… watetsu clad kiridashi was scratched by hard nakayama so I tried the uchi directly if it can erase the scratches.
Happy 😁

scratched by hard nakayama so I tried the uchi directly if it can erase the scratches.
Btw before it looked like this. And to erase those it was under 5min on fresh...

My Kaeru 210 mm had got a tuning by Suntravel. But i didn't liked the finish. So I polished it with micromesh and mud from stones. Now it really have a rustic look that i really like. I put a new handle on it for the first time and am really satisfied with the work. I didn't even need silicone to close the gaps. I love it...

After tuning
42537771ni.jpg

Now

IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG

My Kaeru 210 mm had got a tuning by Suntravel. But i didn't liked the finish. So I polished it with micromesh and mud from stones. Now it really have a rustic look that i really like. I put a new handle on it for the first time and am really satisfied with the work. I didn't even need silicone to close the gaps. I love it...

After tuning
View attachment 179417

Now

View attachment 179418View attachment 179419View attachment 179420View attachment 179421View attachment 179422View attachment 179423
What all was involved in the tuning? Looks great!

After tuning
View attachment 179417

Now

View attachment 179418View attachment 179419View attachment 179420View attachment 179421View attachment 179422View attachment 179423
Thats a clean install

It was like an ax before, so suntravel had thinned it out. It has lost 14 grams but is still a workhorse. 1 cm in front of the tip it is now 0.8 mm and behind it is still stable.
Is that the "workhorse" version? 14g of steel removed is a LOT!

Is that the "workhorse" version? 14g of steel removed is a LOT!
Yep the workhorse version. Thats true. But it had 290 grams before and is still heavy. The balance point was 6 cm from the handle, now it's 4,5 cm and feels a way better.

That’s one hell of a tuning. I’d call that a full on overhaul! Looks great though.
yes it is, but suntravel left enough reserves, it is not too sensitive and not to nail flexing. The foodrelease is also better than before ;)

Decided to take the plunge and refinish the bevels on my Wakui. Ran it on a 6k to see what I’m dealing with. Looks like I’ve got some low spots to work out…wish me luck!View attachment 179435
Honestly looks like you’re going to make it out easy, not seeing anything to concerning from that picture! When you start seeing big holes of a fully hallow in the wide bevel is when you know you’re in for a long time on the coarse stones.

And the good news is the hardest part - the initial plunge of putting a treasured knife flat on the stones - is now over!

Honestly looks like you’re going to make it out easy, not seeing anything to concerning from that picture! When you start seeing big holes of a fully hallow in the wide bevel is when you know you’re in for a long time on the coarse stones
Yeah, could be worse. I spent about 30 minutes on my permasoaked King 300 and they are mostly out. Probably another 20-30 minutes will do it. Will see what the other side looks like when I get to it.

Yeah, could be worse. I spent about 30 minutes on my permasoaked King 300 and they are mostly out. Probably another 20-30 minutes will do it. Will see what the other side looks like when I get to it.
Looks great! Agree with @ethompson - looks very even to me! A fork in the road at this point, prior to full low spot removal.. do you

1. Full flat bevel for easy polishing?
2. Hamaguri the edge, round and raise the shinogi - convexed for food release and performance, but a real challenge to create even polish?

I fight myself about this on the daily 😵‍💫

Latest posts

Back