Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first uchi! This is just 5 minutes on my tetsujin metal flow, and wanted to play a bit. Loving the contrast on the cladding. Had a question though. This is a Maruoyama shiki-uchi. Now, I know traditionally that uchigomori are on a strata closer to the surface, and the shiki means bottom. I hear they are similar to shiro suita. Now, does being a shiki-uchi mean that this is the same type of stone normally found in the uchi layer, but it's just found a lot deeper? Or is it an entirely different type of composition compared to a normal uchi, but finishes similar to one? Hard to find info online, people just say it's uchi "on the floor"

uchi.jpg

Ah gotcha. So does it behave closer to how a shiro suita behaves or something else? Still limited experience on what I've tried. Wonder why it's called an uchi then.

Some finished pics of my full kasumi on my tetsujin I did. Lots of scratches underneath the kasumi but I only took it down to 1k grit. Very happy with it. Tried etching with some lemon juice and bar keepers friend, and coffee and nothing made the banding pop really, just got a patina. Maybe need some Ferric

20221001_174851.jpg

20221001_180711.jpg

Hi friends follow along as I take this rare white 1 kato workhorse and ruin (ahem did I say ruin I mean improve) it and put a basic kasumi on it. Starting with sandpaper I'm on 220 currently. Hardly spent much time on it at all yet, so lots of work to be done. Trying to be careful around the kanji which is tricky, want to get the finish even but don't want to lose muh sharpness. I am also really bad about aligning the scratch pattern and I get the fish hooks or tails whatever they are. I know I should pull in one direction to finish off a grit.

Planned progression is 220-300-500 sandpaper, and then 800 chosera, (maybe 3000 chosera) my hakka tomae, and finishing off with maruoyama shiki-uchi or my new hakka suita. Any modifications/suggestions are appreciated in method, but I can only work with the tools I have at my disposal.

Did I tank the resale? Will I ruin it? Am I nuts? Will I make it awesome and be happy with it? Who knows! All I know is I don't do safequeens.

Stay tuned. If I don't have anything past this post it means I was too embarrassed to share how it went lol

kato1.jpg

kato3.jpg

I think you have better control over where abrasion occurs with stones, so I did it all with stones to maintain the unique Kato grind as faithfully as possible. But excited to see someone else going for it.

I think you have better control over where abrasion occurs with stones, so I did it all with stones to maintain the unique Kato grind as faithfully as possible. But excited to see someone else going for it.
Yeah was just planning on using the paper for the grind lines mainly. I have flashbacks of polishing knives on stones that have big low spots and never getting them good, hopefully this will be better

Pretty proud of this one. Knife is a Tanaka aogami super.

Didn't hate the stock finish, but as you can see had a faux kasumi bead blast and lots of scratches under the finish so I wanted to improve it.

Progression was sandpaper up to 1k, chosera 800, 3k, Hakka Tomae, Hakka suita, then I used dried mud, some finger stones and uchi powder. Really happy how it turned out overall, but I know underneath there are still a decent amount of scratches and low spots I didn't deal with. Using the dried mud was a game changer. Next time I am going to completely get rid of low spots with some lower grit stones.

stock.jpg

sanding1.jpg

progress.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished.jpg

finished2.jpg

My first full polish on my Sakai Kikumori Gokujyo 270mm gyuto. I thinned the knife a bit, polished it with a synthetic progression, made the core steel extra shiny on balsa with diamond spray on it, and evened out the cladding with uchigumori powder. It isn’t perfect, like many posts on this thread, but I am happy with how it looks. I couldn’t polish out the line between where I thinned and didn’t, and the scratches aren’t the most consistent.

55EAF9A8-EAEC-4343-8E0E-8DDBA999C6A5.jpeg

03B4E3BB-7BA1-40FF-9EC3-1A7FE577ED9D.jpeg

028DCDE9-C482-4FCA-BF97-0525003F361C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back