Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mazaki mirror
20221222_141348.jpg

I don't know what the blade is. It's a restoration I've been working on. I'm lost on engraved kanji. This was done the same as my last one - Uchigumori paste on felt.

Made my first semi-proper finger stone today. For the last year I was attempting to rub a 1.5mm thick piece of uchi on knives and I was confused as to why the finish looked like trash. Not perfect but I’m happy for the first time. Also the work it does is definitely a step up.

EC46A067-20A7-405C-954E-9AC32C68D6F6.jpeg

I hope this Imgur video link works but this is after maybe 5 minutes total:

Made my first semi-proper finger stone today. For the last year I was attempting to rub a 1.5mm thick piece of uchi on knives and I was confused as to why the finish looked like trash. Not perfect but I’m happy for the first time. Also the work it does is definitely a step up.

View attachment 217670

I hope this Imgur video link works but this is after maybe 5 minutes total:

Nice! As you’ve now figured, they’re only magic when they’re literally paper thin.

My first uchi! This is just 5 minutes on my tetsujin metal flow, and wanted to play a bit. Loving the contrast on the cladding. Had a question though. This is a Maruoyama shiki-uchi. Now, I know traditionally that uchigomori are on a strata closer to the surface, and the shiki means bottom. I hear they are similar to shiro suita. Now, does being a shiki-uchi mean that this is the same type of stone normally found in the uchi layer, but it's just found a lot deeper? Or is it an entirely different type of composition compared to a normal uchi, but finishes similar to one? Hard to find info online, people just say it's uchi "on the floor"

View attachment 200789

Regarding the Maruo Shiki Uchigumori, they're not actually uchigumori but rather perform similarly. As you stated. Traditional Uchigumori are Tenjou suita.

The closest thing from Maruoyama to a traditional uchigumori, besides the rare tenjou Uchigumori, are Ao Suita. They're tenjou suita from Maruoyama and perform/polish a lot like uchigumori as well.

The Shiki Uchigumori I believe are found in near sunashi shiro suita and tamagoiro suita.

Either way, all great stones and I miss my Shiki Uchigumori! May have to try and get another soon..... thanks for putting the idea in my head!!!!! Lol 😆

Regarding the Maruo Shiki Uchigumori, they're not actually uchigumori but rather perform similarly. As you stated. Traditional Uchigumori are Tenjou suita.

The closest thing from Maruoyama to a traditional uchigumori, besides the rare tenjou Uchigumori, are Ao Suita. They're tenjou suita from Maruoyama and perform/polish a lot like uchigumori as well.

The Shiki Uchigumori I believe are found in near sunashi shiro suita and tamagoiro suita.

Either way, all great stones and I miss my Shiki Uchigumori! May have to try and get another soon..... thanks for putting the idea in my head!!!!! Lol 😆
Yeah already found that out...but so far the shiki uchi is giving me my favorite finish out of any stone regardless, super contrasty dark kasumi with ease

I don’t get where that’s coming from to be honest, I use uchi or any other finger stone 2mm+ on a lot of my work.

I think the size and prep are relevant, but not the thickness from my experience.

The only thing I can think of is the knife surface is too poor is the real issue with high and low spots

I don’t get where that’s coming from to be honest, I use uchi or any other finger stone 2mm+ on a lot of my work.

I think the size and prep are relevant, but not the thickness from my experience.

The only thing I can think of is the knife surface is too poor is the real issue with high and low spots
This is a recent development for me and I plan on going home this evening and experimenting. I’ve achieved decent results with thick finger stones but nowhere near as clean and as consistent as I was able to achieve with a thin on that has been glued to paper. Additionally I’ve had larger finger stones get a “skipping” feeling which feels not so great.

Regardless of all of that I am but a lowly peon in comparison to the work you are able to produce and share so take my words with a grain of salt.

Looks good. I'll be honest, I am getting my best finishes now using micromesh combined with powder from my best stones. Probably a similar effect I would get with a very thin fingerstone. I haven't had that much luck with my hazuya stones but I really haven't bothered getting them much thinner than 1mm

Looks good. I'll be honest, I am getting my best finishes now using micromesh combined with powder from my best stones. Probably a similar effect I would get with a very thin fingerstone. I haven't had that much luck with my hazuya stones but I really haven't bothered getting them much thinner than 1mm
I was also using micro mesh/sandpaper combined with powder and found it to be more polishing rather than burnishing. The contrast really pops when using hazuya.

I use that combo, well. Kinda, i use it with loose aluminum oxide, and i found it gave pretty nice contrast.

Back