Shun Kanso --- help me resist!!

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by fewlio, Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2019 #1

fewlio

fewlio

fewlio

I know Shun is the devil, but their Kanso line is so beautiful. Most shun knives are fancy but these are rugged and beautifully simple in their presentation. Was thinking about buying some good traditional japanese knives from skilled individual knife makers, but now I'm thinking about giving Shun about 500 dollars! Am I crazy??

2. Oct 19, 2019 #2

Eloh

Eloh

Eloh

If the only thing important to you is the looks then go for it.
    If you want to have a sense of what your actual cutting preferences are you need to try a few different knives, since it really is about preference at the end.

3. Oct 19, 2019 #3

Khanh Viet Duong

Khanh Viet Duong

Khanh Viet Duong

Hi, I'm here to help.

First off, let's say you really really want it; why are you spending $500? Check for sales! William Sonoma/Amazon often have sales that would bring a Shun Kanso 8" Chef Knife from $144 down to around $90

For the knives, I would advise you to go handle them in person. The handle is made of a very dense wood and fell almost like plastic. The finish on the blade will fade over time. Something about the knife makes it feel non-standard, pushing toward the push cut technique.

All in all, for me, the Kanso is just not high-end or rugged enough to keep. I gifted it to a friend of mind.

For you, if you want to try it out, just get the chef knife for $90. I would advise against throwing $500 at the line.

OnionSlicer likes this.
  4. Oct 19, 2019 #4

Mute-on

Mute-on

Mute-on

Yes, that’s stupid. Either send the $500 to me, or contact Knives & Stones, JNS, or JKI, and buy whatever they suggest that meets your requirements.

Your choice. Choose, wisely ;)

5. Oct 19, 2019 #5

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

The AUS10 alloy is good, takes a great edge (won't hold it particularly well, but getting it back is not a problem) and with a few tweaks it will cut well.
    The finish does help with food release, but the blade also tends to take a patina of some kind. It's very easy to remove though and it's like new.
    Now, the bad part. OOTB the haldle is terrible. Worse handle I have ever seen. You need to take it down (not always easy, I've done a few) and refinish it entirely. Also, not that easy.

I wouldn't put 500$ in them. You could get one, maybe a second small piece, if you like the first.

6. Oct 19, 2019 #6

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

$500? Just buy a Shinko Kurokumo and send me the difference? Or buy the Kanso. It's your money and it's not a Kamikoto.

7. Oct 19, 2019 #7

PappaG

PappaG

PappaG

It would be foolish to spend that amount. Shun's can be had at a huge discount on Ebay. Don't pay retail for the knife...

8. Oct 19, 2019 #8
  9. Oct 19, 2019 #9

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Why does the handle have lanyard hole?

HSC /// Knives and bkultra like this.
  10. Oct 19, 2019 #10

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Doubles as a neck knife?

M1k3 and kayman67 like this.
  11. Oct 19, 2019 #11

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

Is $500 the price for a set? I have 2 shuns but I’ll never buy a knife set from Shun...

I know people are different but do you really like the look of a bare screw head on the handle?
    B5BE62AE-B347-4003-89C9-304EB5E9922D.png

12. Oct 19, 2019 #12

Danzo

Danzo

Danzo

Supporting Member

I've handled these before, tang sticks up beyond the handle scales, super uncomfortable. not to mention the meaningless but end with the hole. Also the blade itself is flat ground. PASS

13. Oct 20, 2019 #13

Jville

Jville

Jville

We're you drinking when you wrote this? If so, just hang in there until you sober up and you will come to your senses.;)

14. Oct 20, 2019 #14

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

Stupid knife.
    Have you not seen other retailers products? Get a hand made kamo R2 that'll distroy any shun.

Knives and stones
    Japaneseknifeimports
    Tosho knife arts
    carbon knife co.
    Hitohira
    Knifewear
    Bernal cutlery
    Metalmaster
    And so many more!

Jville likes this.
  15. Oct 20, 2019 #15

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

It's AUS10. for the same steel with better heat treat and grind and a third of the price, you can buy a Gesshin uraku.
    Shuns aren't bad knives per se.. they're just way too overpriced for what they actually deliver. They're very mediocre knives with some (imo very tacky) bling blang to justify the stupid price. They're like the Bose of the knife world. You can get something MUCH better for the price or something MUCH cheaper with with same performance. So why get them?

Carl Kotte, Jville and Corradobrit1 like this.
  16. Oct 20, 2019 #16

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

hmmm, maybe I should try that on my kitchen knives :D

17. Oct 20, 2019 #17

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

To be fair, I don’t believe he means $500 for a single knife as the full retailer price of that kanso is only $115 for a 210 gyuto. It’s beyond insane to spend that kind of money on Shun kanso regardless though...

18. Oct 20, 2019 #18

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

Fair enough, but yea pretty crazy. I'd say they're on the same level as a tojiro and paying more than that is just nuts.

19. Oct 20, 2019 #19

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Like any of us would make only the best objective choices, no matter what we tell ourselves...
    He likes the knife. Reasons are reasons. I think he understands them. If he likes the knife, he should get one. All 500 worth, not really, no! Experience it and keep it or move on. It's not like marriage of something. Oh, wait. Trying a knife is much easier.
    From my perspective, the blade is not the problem. But even so, if he picks one and wants to buy it still, nothing wrong with that.

Eloh likes this.
  20. Oct 20, 2019 #20

Jville

Jville

Jville

Just remember you will have a hard time unloading it here, when you realize you want something else. Resale value will most likely suck.

21. Oct 20, 2019 #21

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

He asked to be helped to resist, we're just helping. For once the members of this forum aren't being a bunch of enablers :D

kayman67 likes this.
  22. Oct 20, 2019 #22

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Working on it :D

23. Oct 22, 2019 #23

fewlio

fewlio

fewlio

Imo, rivets and screws are both fasteners, and screws may have more or less visual appeal depending on what you like. But they do allow for servicing of the handle wood which can't really be done with rivets! Also, the lanyard hole is an interesting innovation for kitchen knives, as these can be stored in a kitchentop holder, on a magnetic holder, or kitchen twine can be looped into the lanyard hole and they can be hung on kitchen hooks. Imo the metal lanyard envelops the wood handle on all sides with metal and was done for function and visual appeal. Also the paring knife is interesting as I can tell by pictures it will allow far more surgical cuts than a taller paring knife blade will allow. It's nice that this line has some different blade shapes than their other lines...

You guys really gonna say these aren't beautiful knives?? :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Oct 22, 2019 #24

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

You bet.

When I see those screw heads all I see is a hole thats a PITA to keep free of crap.

Attached Files:

25. Oct 22, 2019 #25

fewlio

fewlio

fewlio

Hmm...honestly I think a kitchen dish brush will do the trick quite easily. Anyone else have experience??

26. Oct 22, 2019 #26

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Not a single one had a problem with those. Always arrived clean.

fewlio likes this.
  27. Oct 22, 2019 #27

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

This..

Most uncomfortable design ever

28. Oct 22, 2019 #28

Barashka

Barashka

Barashka

They certainly have some appeal. I'm guilty of buying one just for looks :p .. though returned it because it has a bent tip.

AUS8 or AUS10 or whatever it's made from might not be the sexiest thing out there, but sometimes you just have to go for the feels.

fewlio likes this.
  29. Oct 22, 2019 #29

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

If you're looking for damascus-style VG-10 knives, you might consider a Ryusen Bontenunryu.

If you're absolutely intent on a Shun, then go for the Shun Blue line; it's considered to be of higher quality, though it's recently discontinued.

30. Oct 22, 2019 #30

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you're really digging this particular aesthetic there's nothing wrong with picking one up. Use it for a while and see how you like it in practice.

Blowing $500 on a whole set up front seems... unwise.

kayman67 likes this.