Shun Sharpening Question #1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBS19106

Amateur Sharpener in Philly
Reaction score
I have a Shun in for sharpening with a giant chip at the heel of the blade. Please see photograph.

Damascus Shun #1.jpg

My plan at the moment is to just grind off this small portion of the heel with my Atoma or low grit Shapton, and not change the overall geometry of the edge and belly. Then smooth out the new edge I made on the choli, probably with sandpaper. Then a regular sharpening, first thinning behind the edge. However, suggestions welcome. I've never had a chip this big, or in this location.

Thoughts? And thank you.

Last edited:
You can certainly do that. The profile might look a little stupid afterward, but I never cut with the heel of the knife, so functionally it won’t really matter. And it doesn’t seem worth it to lose multiple mm of height to fix a problem at the heel.

I'd probably give it a concave heel (ie do a rounded sweep down, basically hollowing out the heel). If I wanted to invest a good amount of time. (Red in pic)

If in a hurry, I'd just make sure it doesn't snag on anything, i.e., just round of the sharp edge. (Blue in pic)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805_192101.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805_192101.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 21
Back