silver skin remover

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the knife is sharp, I prefer using a knife with no flex and some convexity.

If I'm using house knives, the 6" shanks (they used to be boning knives, but have been ground to approx. 1.5 tall) are my preferred knife. They are really thin (and therefore have flex) so they aren't as terrible when they dull.

If Kip does one for a passaround I vote stiff. Would love to give it a go at the butcher shop!

If the knife is sharp, I prefer using a knife with no flex and some convexity.

If I'm using house knives, the 6" shanks (they used to be boning knives, but have been ground to approx. 1.5 tall) are my preferred knife. They are really thin (and therefore have flex) so they aren't as terrible when they dull.

If Kip does one for a passaround I vote stiff. Would love to give it a go at the butcher shop!
this! cheap white handle 8" chef knife ground down into honesuki shape is dope for silverskin and other butchering and doesnt steer cause it aint stupid single bevel meaning you can use it in any direction.

Yeah these are really common. You'd never be able to buy something like that new though, there's basicly no steel left on them.

When I did a lot of meat butchering I used a honkotsu for taking apart primals and whole critters. Honesuki did a great job on removing silver skin as did a 150mm petty. Never got used to using a honkotsu for silver skin. I think last time I removed silver skin recently I just used a really old ground down 210 carbon gyuto. It’s more like a 200mm sujihiki at this point really.

I use a normark fillet knife I took out of a tackle box in my dad’s garage many years ago. The tip is so fine it glides right under the silver skin with little to no damage or waste. I have a pass around rapula one as well. Try it works way better than a petty betcha.

Bumping this thread again...tried a silverthorn and quickly learned I’m not really into the curved profile for silverskin.

Im really digging shihan 210mm petty/suji...anybody own one?

For the time being I’m just using different 150mm pettys.

@Kippington whats up with that pass around idea? Have you given it anymore thought?

36FA1994-FDE0-436E-B334-5ADB4F08066C.jpeg
Kikuichi Elite Carbon Hankotsu ... 150mm ground 90-10 about $160

Last edited:
@Kippington whats up with that pass around idea? Have you given it anymore thought?
I wanted to seed a conversation on the design aspects of a good butchery knife. I would've made one based off the ideas but nobody took the bait. :rolleyes:
Working on the hook passaround though, which is enough for the moment.

For a second there I thought Mert had somehow stamped his logo on a natural stone... :eek:

I wanted to seed a conversation on the design aspects of a good butchery knife. I would've made one based off the ideas but nobody took the bait. :rolleyes:
Working on the hook passaround though, which is enough for the moment.

For a second there I thought Mert had somehow stamped his logo on a natural stone... :eek:
Tease

What does everybody prefer for this? I get by just fine with a petty but I’m doing enough of this sorta thing where I’m cleaning large primal cuts I feel like I could get a knife dedicated just for this task.
Things like hankotsu sound like they’re best for working in between bones and such, where as I just want to remove silver skin as efficiently as possible.
Stiff boning? Flexible boning? Flexible petty? What do you guys prefer?
21cm sujihiki will do the job

Back