silver skin remover

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does everybody prefer for this? I get by just fine with a petty but I’m doing enough of this sorta thing where I’m cleaning large primal cuts I feel like I could get a knife dedicated just for this task.
Things like hankotsu sound like they’re best for working in between bones and such, where as I just want to remove silver skin as efficiently as possible.
Stiff boning? Flexible boning? Flexible petty? What do you guys prefer?

Last edited:
Flexible fish filleting knife works well, as does an ordinary (stiff) boning knife.

Yeah, but I don’t think I’d want a curved fish fillet blade but a straight one.
This is the one I use. It's also available in a 20 cm version:
11338_-_wusthof_classic_flexible_filleting_knife_16cm.1518515170.jpg

@Michi maybe I do need a curved blade. I really don’t know.
I wouldn't agonise over it. If you have an ordinary stiff boning knife already, it'll do the job just fine. Mine looks like this, but I have the older stiff version (which they apparently no longer make). This one is flexible:

51ZFOh4X+VL._SL1500_.jpg

I find that removing silver skin is a little easier with a flexible knife, but not so much because it's flexible, but because it's thinner. Either works and, personally, I wouldn't buy a knife just for removing silver skin. Pick a fish fillet knife or a boning knife, and then fillet or bone away :)

@Jville Im curious if you looked at silverthorne. I like your knife a lot and it sorta reminds me of silverthorne stuff.

I definetely looked at silverthorne. They were not in stock at the time, so it made the decision easier. Honestly, i still may grab one. I almost bought it the other day, when it was in stock. If i wasnt broke, i would of bought it. I know alot of guys dont like to spend much cash on butcher knives, but it was money well spent.

I trim a lot of beef tenderloin, skirt, flank, flap, strip, rib, etc, doing hotel work. All just boneless trimming and portioning. I have tried honesuki, honkatsu, Western boning and filet knives and petties of all sizes. For the last year or so I've been using an Ashi Ginga 210 petty in swedish stainless. Honesuki and hankotsu are too thick for being quick at the silverskin for me. Western boners edge retention sucks. I used a Kanehide 180mm petty for a few years. I liked the thinness behind the edge and the edge retention. But 180 is too short, the heel gets stuck in stuff and you have to grab a different knife to slice/dice portions for most stuff. The 210 is long enough to portion tenderloin and short rib and stew meat comfortably. Which means you only have to switch to a longer slicing knife when dealing with big guys like ribeye or striploin.

I like a single bevel petty for tenderloins, but something like a 210mm petty is better for bigger cuts. The shape of a honesuki works pretty well too, I use that for a wider scope of butcher tasks than just poultry.

There's a trade-off between the 180 and 210 petty. 180 are typically pretty stiff but a tad short. 210 are typically a little flexi (which I can't stand). I would rather deal with the length than the flex so 180 works for me. I want enough blade height to be under the silverskin without breaking/cutting it, and for that height to be uniform - rules out gyuto.

All that said, most any knife will do. If I've got one loin to clean I prob won't open up the roll for the petty and just use what's handy. If I have 10 loins I certainly will.

I like my silverthorn a lot for the task, not too curved or flexible for my taste. Better edge holding than western boners but easy to bring back and durable around bones. I used a sharpened down 180mm a type petty before that and still do when it's handier. My mini-gyuto mazaki petty is definitely uncomfortably tall for this kind of trimming. Silverthorn and Munetoshi butcher are a winning combo for me.
I wish they made masahiro bessaku in petty shapes, my honesuki is super tough, toothy semi stainless and dirt cheap. Probably skd or the like as it patinas quite a bit. They have a hankotsu but these are like 99/1 and I don't see lefty available.

I like my silverthorn a lot for the task, not too curved or flexible for my taste. Better edge holding than western boners but easy to bring back and durable around bones. I used a sharpened down 180mm a type petty before that and still do when it's handier. My mini-gyuto mazaki petty is definitely uncomfortably tall for this kind of trimming. Silverthorn and Munetoshi butcher are a winning combo for me.
I wish they made masahiro bessaku in petty shapes, my honesuki is super tough, toothy semi stainless and dirt cheap. Probably skd or the like as it patinas quite a bit. They have a hankotsu but these are like 99/1 and I don't see lefty available.
Jon’s got a lefty semi hankotsu that’s in that sub $100 budget.

Might be the same oem even, it'd be worth the small premium to have the jki touch. Handle scales are wonky and bigger than the tang on the masahiro. Worth a try if the hankotsu shape appeals to you.

I like nice pointy, thin but not fragile thin tips. Suji's are great for this. Other style knives with these tips work also. I find the tip makes more of a difference than the particular style of knife.

I’ve been using a western HD 220 Suji/petty. It’s been an all star for me.

I trim a lot of beef tenderloin, skirt, flank, flap, strip, rib, etc, doing hotel work. All just boneless trimming and portioning. I have tried honesuki, honkatsu, Western boning and filet knives and petties of all sizes. For the last year or so I've been using an Ashi Ginga 210 petty in swedish stainless. Honesuki and hankotsu are too thick for being quick at the silverskin for me. Western boners edge retention sucks. I used a Kanehide 180mm petty for a few years. I liked the thinness behind the edge and the edge retention. But 180 is too short, the heel gets stuck in stuff and you have to grab a different knife to slice/dice portions for most stuff. The 210 is long enough to portion tenderloin and short rib and stew meat comfortably. Which means you only have to switch to a longer slicing knife when dealing with big guys like ribeye or striploin.

Thats what so great about the doberman filet knife, edge retention is great. I had the same problem with my mercer filet knife.

Last edited:
Yes. I need to think about it some more but either an HD western that’s actually instock or a silverthorne is what I’ll likely get.
The silverthorne i think would be nice. Doberman will make whatever flex you like. He was great to work with. I got mine medium flex and its been phenomenal, edge retention has been great.

I use a 220~ ginga suji in w2, or a 150 petty for smaller things. cktg has a lefty hankotsu from their kanehide line, it is 70, might be worth looking into

Back